What to buy if you`d like the best 4x5 field cam?

milan_simon

<p>I am a serious amatour photographer. I use canon 10d dslr w manual nikkors. I would like to move to large format in this summer to make fine prints and scans (of course with time). I dont really like to change what i am using at least in a ten years period thats why I would like to buy the best equipment for the first time. The price should be reasonable so I am willing to buy used.<br>

The cam should be able to take nice portraits and landscapes in field also, so I think I will choose the Toyo but if someone knows better i am ready to reconsider. The budget is under 1500usd (If its significant better -2000)</p>

<p>Lenses:<br>

Cooke Portrait PS 945 229mm f4.5 (worth that money?)<br>

Schneider 72mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL (better for wide landscapes?)<br>

I would like to have something in the 150mm focal lenght. Suggestion?</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the help!<br>

Simon Milan<br>

<em><br /></em></p>

<p>The "best" camera? Why that's likely the Ebony models. Those cost $2,200 to $5,000. I guess that's out of your budget---OOPS! Be careful when saying you just want the "best." Of course, there rarely is such a thing as "best" anyway. What you do is figure out what you want the camera gear to do, know what you want to pay, and then select the closest matches. The kind of photography you said you want to do is not very demanding of camera or lenses so the limited budget you have will work. You just won't be buying any Ebony cameras. For a camera, I'd suggest a field camera. Two that come to mind are the Shen Hao and the Chamonix. I've owned both and think both are good. I really love the Chamonix though. Buy a used one, on eBay. Do not buy new as there's plenty of selection of great used ones. As for lenses, only you know what length you shoot. Don't be surprised if you find you shoot in a different way using different focal lengths with 4x5 than you do with DSLR. The "best" lenses? Again, depends on what you want to do, what kind of look you are after, what you want to pay. I've been shooting landscapes with an original landscape lens--an 1855 E.G. Woods 10 inch pillbox lens. Lens has no shutter at all (I use my hand,) and only two apertures/f-stops (shaped like metal disks that you insert.) Yes, it's the BEST! I love the look. For portaits I use my Voigtlander Petzval, made in 1865. Again, no shutter, no apertures. I love the look, so it's the BEST!</p>

<p>My suggestion is for you to begin by thinking of camera gear as a SYSTEM, not pieces. And, start with a firm idea of exactly what kinds of images you want to make. You then select "pieces" of the system that will work together to do what you want. Really, just about any field camera is going to work for you. Just about any lens will work for landscapes. For portraits I think a standard length is about 210mm. I'd suggest you buy something like a used Shen Hao and one lens plus maybe five holders, all used. You'll also need a focus loupe, dark cloth (black t-shirt from Walmart,) a meter, something to carry camera and lens in so they don't get all banged up. Play with the stuff for a few months, then you will have a better idea. Just asking people on the internet probably won't result in your buying that mythical "best" lens. (Go CHEAP on the camera, put more $$ into lens.)</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>By far the largest selection of used LF equipment, both bodies and lenses, is at KEH in Atlanta http://www.keh.com<br /> Click on Large Format on the left, then on Large Format again, then select the product (bodies, lenses, etc).<br /> KEH is a great company to deal with. If you don't like something you can return it for a refund within 14 days.</p>

<p>Even if you don't buy from them, the site will give you a good overview of available products and prices.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p> </p>

I would like a mint/unused 8x10 Deardorff myself.

With 10 perfect light tight holders.

I would be fine with 3 perfect lenses for it, a wide, normal, and long. And a really nice wood and brass tripod.

That would be my best field camera choice. That's all I need.

That, and this remote control.

<p>+1 to the recommendation for the Chamonix 4x5 as an excellent field camera and good value.</p>

<p>I wouldn't buy either of the lenses you listed. There are many 4x5 lenses that are so good that you won't miss any nuanced differences that those specialty lenses offer. Extra wide lenses such as the 72mm are difficult to use on 4x5 too. I'd look at modern multicoated lenses from any of the big 4 (Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji, Nikon) in the 90mm f/8, 150mm f/5.6, and 210mm f/5.6 ranges. You could build a 3 lens kit plus the camera for under $2k easily, and be giving nothing up in final image quality.</p>

<p>Kent has some good advice there about the system and needed pieces too.</p>

<p>The Shan Hao is a very versatile camera with a reasonable price tag. Don't let you fool by the low price.</p>

<p>You might check this document (it's for 5x7 cameras, but lists all web sites and contacts for the manufacturers):<br>

http://www.viewcamera.com/pdf/VC91-Thalmann-web.pdf</p>

<p>The 'best' cameras are IMHO the Linhof Technika (http://linhof.de/master_technika_3000_e.html) and the Ebony SV45TE (http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html), but they are way out of reach for any budget.</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

<p>Most LF photographers end up switching from their first camera as they figure out what they really want in an LF camera. I suggest not worrying too much about getting the best, or the camera that will be "the one". One advantage of LF is that there isn't as much "lock in" as smaller formats -- the lenses don't have proprietary mounts. You can easily keep your lenses and get a different body. You might need to mount your lenses on different lenses boards, depending on whether the two cameras use the same board type, but at least changing camera brand doesn't implying simultaneously replacing all of your lenses. Maybe this gives less pressure to making the perfect decision.</p>

<p>If you choose one of the brands mentioned you can buy a new camera and still have enough money left to buy 3 good used lenses.</p>

<p>To me, the "best camera" is solid, reliable and has the extension and movements I need. Toyo, Shen-Hao and Chamonix cameras are solid, reliable and offer more movements you'll ever need in landscape and portrait photography.<br /> If not mistreated, the camera will serve you 10 years+ with ease.</p>

<p>Both lenses you mentioned are overkill IMHO - for landscape/portrait you don't need much movements i.e. no big image circle. Consider weight too, if you want to hike a bit and carry your gear around.</p>

<p>90 - 150 - 240 or 75 - 135 - 210 lenses would make for a nice lens kit. I have an 80-150-270 kit which does everything I want in landscape photography.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Even few professionals need the best outift; they merely need one good enough. There is a great difference in cost between the best and good enough. Do make sure that the coverage of any lens for 4x5 is great enough to permit front rise, shift, and tilt.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the responses!<br>

I decided to have a 4x5 Field. Shen-Hao and Chamonix would be a reasonable choice but i try to use products from China as less as I can in my daily life, so why would I choose my cam if i have another choice. Call me stupid or anything, but i have a strong reason what i dont want to share in a photographic forum. So, thats why I would choose Toyo, but I dont know which one from the fields. I am thinking about an used one anyway.<br>

Friedmann: the PS 945 why "overkill"? I really like the look. I would like to use at least the 50% of the shoots.<br>

Or if I can get an older Cooke Portrait? Is the same?<br>

Nikkor-W 150mm? <br>

Schneider 75mm Super Angulon f/5.6?</p>

<p>Thank you for your patience! :)</p>

<p>Milan, My choice for best is the Linhof Master Technika. I don't own one yet, but it is precise and well built. I made a decision to spend my money on glass, rather than the body, but the field camera I have gone to for 30 years is a Crown Graphic. It works every time.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the PS 945 why "overkill"?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Too heavy (Copal 3 shutter) and too much image circle (again, for my taste).<br /> If you want a dedicated soft portrait lens, Fujinon-SF (soft focus) 180 and 250 are very good and much cheaper.<br /> For a lens in the 210 - 240 range I'd consider Schneider G-Claron lenses. Designed for macro/enlarging, they can be used for general photography if stepped down to f22 or so. Many landscape photographers (like me) swear by them. Another great lens is the Fujinon-A 240/f9.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikkor-W 150mm?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can't go wrong with any 150mm lens from any of the "big four" manufacturers. Some say Rodenstock Apo-Sironar S is the sharpest. Some years ago I had the chance to use both the Rodenstock and a Schneider Apo-Symmar L 150 side by side and kept the Schneider.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /> Schneider 75mm Super Angulon f/5.6?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nikkor-SW 75/f4.5, Rodenstock Grandagon 75/f4.5, Fujinon-SWD 75/f5.6... buy whatever suits your budget, condition, size, weight, filter criteria best.<br /> I wouldn't care too much about the very minor differences in contrast, color rendition etc. This is a matter of personal taste. In real life, you don't see any difference, and if you do, nowadays final adjustments are made digitally after scanning.</p>

<p>I wouldn't change from a Crown Graphic - because of its light weight and the excellent protection for its screen and [some smaller] lenses when closed. My favorite lenses are a 135 Nikkor W, 210 f6.1 Xenar and 360 f5.5 Tele-Xenar - these all offer adequate (if not vast) coverage and are light. A Linhof would be technically superior to the Crown Graphic in every way in terms of features (not image quality) but I just can't stand the weight. If I lived somewhere else than the UK (with its notoriously fast-changing light) I might choose something else, like a wooden camera, but here I attach a lot of importance to being able to shut the camera quickly if it comes on to rain! Monorail cameras are great for the studio but because of their (non-aerodynamic) design, they seem to need heavier tripods to withstand even light wind when used outside.</p>

<p>In folding field cameras, the Linhof Technika, in my estimation, is the finest metal bodied field camera you can buy. The Master Technika has a viewfinder/rangefinder, while the 3000 is the same basic camera without the viewfinder/rangefinder. There are a number of others I would look at like the Canham DLC and the Horseman FA. I have a Horseman FA and it is like a smaller version of the Technika, however finding parts like lens boards has become problematic lately as the US support has seemed to have disappeared.</p>

<p>If you're interested in a monorail style field camera, I think the Arca Swiss F-Field Compact or one of the other Arca cameras would be difficult to beat. </p>

<p>I'm not really all that familiar with wooden field cameras as I live in the southwest; and as there are days when the humidity can swing from 40% indoors to 1-2% outdoors could potentially be problematic with a wooden camera - so I've never considered using one.</p>

<p>As far as I know there is no Tachihara reseller in Europe. In 2005 there used to be one, but he had been far too expensive (double the price of US resellers).</p>

<p>You might contact robertwhite.co.uk if he can offer one, but I doubt it.</p>

<p>Seems Tachihara doesn't have a web site, just a phone number:<br>

Tachihara: 011-81-3-3911-1794</p>

<p>Tachihara:<br>

An Austrian dealer seems to sell Tachihara cameras.<br>

Try http://www.foto-riegler.at ---> Enter ---> Großformat (German term for Large Format).<br>

For prices: http://www.foto-riegler.at ---> Enter ---> Webshop ---> Kameras & Zubehör ---> Großformatkamera ---> Tachihara Laufbodenkamera.<br>

990 Euro plus shipping.<br>

If I were you, I'd go with a Chamonix (if you prefer wood and very light weight) or a Toyo-Field AX (or AII, if you prefer the revolving back and don't mind the extra weight).</p>

<p>The Toyo's fine. <br>

I would also look carefully at the (heavy) weight and incredible charisma of the Linhof Technika to see if it fits what you'd like to do.<br>

An older Technika iV or V would meet your budget; the recent Master Technika (though expensive) works better with wide lenses and has a much better lens cam system for portraits and non-GG work.</p>

<p>My experience with Linhof started with a Kardan Standard, which I loved. So, I bought a Technika III version 5. Although the back tilting mechanism on the Kardan (center tilt) was easy to use and intuitive, I found that using four rods to adjust back tilt on the Technika to be more difficult and less intuitive in the field. So, I sold it and bought a Wista N metal field camera, the ergonomics of which I much prefer to the Technika. The build quality of the Wista is right up there with Linhof. Also, it uses the same lens boards as the Technika, which made switching easier.</p>