What strap do you use?

mark45831

I have the Peak Design Cuff (a wrist strap: Cuff; I use mostly the older version though that doesn't have the metal slider: Peak Design Cuff Camera Strap Review (2017 Version)) on all my camera bodies. On the rare occasion that I feel the need for a shoulder strap, I use the Peak Design Slide (https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/straps/products/slide); I am more likely to carry a digital holster than a neck strap though. My first experience with sliding straps was with Carryspeed - I still have two of their straps floating around - good as new as I hardly ever used them - mainly because they were incompatible with using Arca-Swiss-type camera plates and required their own mounting plates.

and I like the loop through itself method. Never had one fray either

Precisely why I like the Peak Design - their anchor links are small and can stay on the camera; they also seem less prone to accidental release than those clips on the Optech (used their wrist straps for a while before Peak Design appeared on the scene)

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

Is the black, err, 'socket' a hard plastic or alloy?

Plastic.

Dyneema Anchors alert you to wear and tear

Those are the anchor links - the "wear and tear" indication refers to the piece of string which has a colored string embedded - its appearance will indicate wear and one should replace the anchor link at that time. IIRC, then these anchor links are on V4 now - there have been issues in the past with their 1st version and then again with their 3rd (which they replaced free of charge with V4 ones): 2018 Anchor Update

How easy and positive is the connect and disconnect?

To connect, you push the link into the trapezoidal portion and slide into the round portion and/or pull on the strap to lock it into place; an audible click indicates that it indeed locked securely in place. To remove, push the anchor disc down and slide it out; so far I have not accidentally or unintentionally disconnected the strap from the anchor.

I am not fond of the metal slider on the new Cuff design - but a piece of gaffer tape around it "takes the edge off" and prevents scratching the camera or lens when inside the bag.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

I use Magpul single-point (rifle) straps with mil-spec quick connects. Really Right Stuff has sockets milled in base plates and L-plates for that connector. This is a cross-shoulder strap, which keeps the weight centered on your spine, and the camera in a handy, ready position at your side. There's nothing to come unscrewed, yet it's easy to remove for use on a tripod. It is relatively comfortable with a heavy lens attached to the camera, like a 3+ pound Sony 100-400 GM.

I have used Sun Sniper straps in the past, similar to Black Rapid but with better connectors. Both have a swivel which screws into the tripod socket. In theory, the swivel should slide on strap so it doesn't move when you raise the camera. In practice, the strap tends to twist and stick in the swivel. I've never had one come unscrewed, but am obsessive-compulsive about checking it every 10 seconds or so anyway.

You could tow a car with the Magpul straps an connectors. As a preventive measure, I use a little TFE grease on the connector. It is Parkerized, but can stick when exposed to weather for a long time. It's not very stylish, but you could pin pieces of flair on it, to make it seem more contemporary.

The neoprene straps from Op/Tech and others are good for cushioning the weight of the camera. For really heavy lenses+camera I find the BlackRapid strap to be the best I've ever used. (RS7 LINK) Edited by JDMvW

I like a very simple neoprene non-slip strap that is unobtrusive. I avoid the big Nikon strap that comes with the camera, or some big wide brand name straps. I sampled a lot and finally found the most comfortable and practical in no-name simplicity and low cost.

I have been using a black Domke 1" Gripper with swivel quick release since before the turn of the century. I was still on my first when I last summer replaced it with Domke's 1.5" model, also in black. The 1" looks like the black belt of a true martial arts master, worn, very worn, but still does the job.

When visiting Grays of Westminster last autumn I bought Nikon's 100th Anniversary strap in black leather. Its Nikon logo is debossed and does not stand out in any way. It has been on my D850 since but either Domke may find their way back to my camera.

My addition:

- I have an Op/Tech neoprene strap on one of my (relatively heavy, because '90s Leica) binoculars, that is almost perfect..

- BUT I have iMo straps on my camera and other binoculars, simply because they look great and fun and that fact alone makes me want to grab both more often! (minor minus: these straps are a bit too long for my use).

Depends how you walk. If you have a 'bouncy' stride you may find that neoprene foam straps are too elastic. I don't really like 'em for that reason, and I certainly wouldn't want to run with one and a heavy camera attached. You'd have the camera grabbed in your hand anyway, to stop it smacking you in the face or somewhere.

The Nikon wide fabric strap does me just fine.

• Like 1

I always have my cameras in a CCS camera case, worn over the shoulder on the LHS, with the case to the RHS (so the strap is over my head as well as my shoulder). Difficult to be grabbed by some passing thief that way. As for straps on cameras, I have always found the Nikon broad ones sufficiently 'sticky' but I have a narrow leather one on my Leicaflex due to vanity, sufficiently long to be worn over the shoulder as described above.

The cloth Nikon strap that came on one of my F2s is nice for a medium weight camera. It tapers from triangle width to a little under 1" wide. .Nikon yellow, of course but it would be better in all black.

For lighter cameras (my future Z), I like the simple 1/2" leather or cloth straps.

As far as more modern Nikon straps go, the ones that came with D1 and D2 series cameras seem better than the more synthetic ones on D810 cameras, the later ones don't seem to breathe. I keep waiting for someone to ask if I am still using a D1. On another camera, I have a D2xs strap (Digital to Excess!)

...as do the OP/TECH Pro Loops. Firmly stitched through with the deliberate slack to allow controlled, but limited, stretch.

My mistake. Op-Tech Pro is the strap I meant, with a wide neoprene strap backed up by a narrow nylon strap. Black Rapid and SunSniper have a narrow strap with a shoulder pad, which inevitably migrates from your shoulder toward the camera end. The Magpul strap is all mil-spec, heavy duty, about 1-1/8" wide, and needs no pad. The entire strap moves freely on your shoulder, without a sliding swivel. They're about the same price from RRS or a gun supply store. Not exactly a fashion statement, but black and inconspicuous.