What size to print for my portfolio?

botchow_c

<p>Hi!<br>

I want to print some of my best shots and put them in my portfolio. My plan is to go to different weddingphotographers and ask them if they need a second shooter sometimes, for free. And i need some good shots to present in my portfolio.<br>

I started printing 8x10, or 8x12, but my husband thinks it might be too large? Should i print them in 5x7 instead? Anyone knows what is more common? I like the 8x10 myself. And my hubby doesnt know anything about photography :-D<br>

just curious what others think...</p>

<p>thanks, johanna</p>

<p>8x10 sounds okay to me. If I were a hiring photographer I wouldn't be able to really judge anything smaller. Important things like absolute focus and quality of reproduction would be hard to see on a 5x7. If you're looking to be a second shooter for someone they'll be interested in whether you can give them images that stand up to scrutiny at album sizes or larger.</p>

<p>Don't overlook the fact that people often prefer to see an online portfolio first, and if they're interested in your work they may then want a face to face meeting to see your prints. It's usually more efficient for the photographer to screen prospects first. Also, for some people, seeing the original captures on a laptop may in some cases be preferable to reviewing a print - it depends greatly on the photographer and how they like to work.</p>

<p>8x10 is the standard size for albums, the default size for someone who orders a portrait (all those calls on the phone asking "how much do you charge for an 8x10?") and is generally the standard size for "business to business" prints -- back in the day when newspapers and magazines printed from prints instead of digital files, they were almost always 8x10. I wouldn't worry about 8x12 -- few pictures you deliver to wedding clients are going to be printed full frame.</p>

<p>I wouldn't look at 8x10's or prints at all if we were hiring a second shooter. We're interested in a lot more than that when looking to hire on a third shooter for a wedding, like personality and people skills. We'd want to see a website of your work, and then once it's up to par we'd get together and meet with you to see if you mesh up with our style/personality.</p>

<p>Even if it was just an online portfolio on SmugMug. If you're wanting to gain experience as a photographer, don't look at it as applying for a job but rather asking for help. More than likely without even looking at your portfolio, they'll let you come to a couple shoots. I would suggest asking to go along to an engagement to show them how you do, and they can decide from there if you're ready for a wedding.</p>

<p>If you're wanting to do it as a career you're going to need a lot more than 8x10's to get hired on by someone like us. We would need a full gallery of your work to show that you're worth our time to even consider. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, we're just very protective of our brides and want to make sure they get the best possible. Just drop some emails to some photographers in your area and just flat out ask. I think they'll be more receptive than you'd think. :)</p>

<p>Craig - Right because nobody does full frame 4x6's? Maybe not for the bride, but we'd want to see an 8x12, non-cropped. And we also do not use 8x10 albums, we use 8x8, 10x10 and 12x12 albums. It's not in any way the standard size. I fully understand what you're getting at with newspapers, I used to work for one in college, but that doesn't apply to wedding photographers.</p>

<p>I look at this slightly different. We hire/use outsite photographers, and I'm not too interested in selected 8X10's. I'd much rather see 2 or 3 proof albums, of complete weddings. I'm more concerned how people handle complete weddings. It's easy to select a few choice 8X10's, but again, I want to see complete weddings. This tells me what is important to them, lighting techiques, portraits, family shots, deailed shots, PJ styles, lighting up the receptions, working during dark event rooms, and of course their choice of photo gear. I'm not a prude regarding photo gear, but more concerned about complete systems, such as backup gear. If a person uses a point and shoot camera as a backup, they will be using one of the studios camera systems, or they will have to rent something I feel is suitable.</p>

<p >To just answer the question: I would rather look at 10 x 8's in a portfolio, than any smaller prints. I think 10 x 8 show enterprise and also an investment. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >10 x 8 allow me to see the "finished product" of the Portfolio Owner - cropping is a part of that finished work - I have no issue with that aspect.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p > </p>

<p >On the other points made: </p>

<p >The next question I ask is to view all the roll proofs, (or now, the original disc) . . . that provides me with these answers:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >1. all the elements which were required to get the finished product and as well, an insight into general Photographic skills, more importantly the application of those skills, to sales. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >2. I have found <em >the initial 2 seconds of the answer to that specific question</em> also provide a big % to: - people skills, communication skills and also personality type. </p>

<p > <br>

WW</p>