What size print sells best?

<p>What is an optimal size to offer fine art prints at? When stating size of print, do you give the actual size of the print or the size of the paper it is printed upon?<br>

I generally work in a 4:3 ratio with the occasional 16:9; subject matter is landscape or abstract.</p>

<p>There is no optimal size for prints. It depends on how they look at any given size and what effect you are going for. I have sold prints from 8x10 to 20x30. I have bought prints from 4x5 to 16x20. It's not something where there is any good answer.</p>

<p>Print sizing should be paper size unless there's a substantial difference. Typical borders don't matter.</p>

<p>I have seen photographers (good ones, too) selling at high-tone craft fairs. Some of them offer the same image in more than one size. Typically some large ones, medium, and a few 8x10 and even smaller with nice mats for all.<br>

It's as Jeff says. It depends on what the image is like and what the customer wants.</p>

<p>I personally like the 11x14 to 11x17-inch print and the last photo I sold in a gallery was 11x17. If my prints were bigger or smaller, would they sell better/worse? I do not know. Do you know what kind of use people make of you prints? Above the walk-in fireplace in Citizen Kane's living room (large) or on the dining room wall in a mobile home in a trailer park (smaller)? You might not know and there is the dilemma. What are the other artists doing in the venue(s) where you sell and are they flying off the wall? I see photo prints from 4x5 inches to 60 inches across that sell. Would you buy a nice photo of a fairly ugly but colorful lizard 60 inches wide for your walls?</p>

<p>I think it depends on where you're selling. At art fairs, a variety of sizes lets more customers walk away with something. In a high-end gallery, catering to customers with big walls in big houses, typically selling prints from $200 to $2,000, large prints out in the 50" range will catch the eyes of buyers.</p>

<p>I sell matted 8x12 as my smallest prints. Normally at art fairs I'm in the 24x36 and 16x48 but people cant afford those so I need something for them. Larger in-between sizes never sell. Small or big. 12x18 and so forth just collect dust. <br>

.<br /> It depends on your market, who are you selling to. I go for people with big walls to fill.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I find the majority of my <em>web</em> sales tend to be larger prints. By this I mean usually starting at 24" at the large dimension up to 36" at the large dimension. I occasionally take orders for very large canvas prints (unmounted) 42" and up, but more the exception than the rule.<br>

For some ungodly reason I cannot explain at cash & carry art shows the smaller framed prints (well under 24") fly off the shelves. I no longer make available print sizes <em>under </em>8x12 since I wanted to raise my entry level prices.<br>

One thing I've started doing is selling <em>loose prints </em>unmounted/unmatted. I simply cut a foam core board @ 1/8" larger than the print and lay the print flat..then shrink wrap with archival <strong>safe</strong> poly. Pricing tags and sizes affixed to the back. Clients love it! On our end (artist) it keeps the cost way down since the client is always going to hate your choice of mat anyhow :)</p>