What should I buy Canon 5d or Canon 24-70mm 2.8?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by rodrigo_rocha|1, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hi guys,
    This is my first post to this forum and this is kind of a weird question.
    This is my gear:
    Canon 7d
    Canon 70-200L f/4
    Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 (I love this prime)
    Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
    1 x 580ex ii
    2 x 430ex ii
    Plus (cokin filters, umbrellas, backdropins, etc)
    The question is should i invest next on a full frame camera(5d) or i should buy the Canon 24-70L 2.8?
    I don't know what to do...
    Thanks,
    Rodrigo

2. The question is, why do you want either of them? Without a clear answer to that, no one can help you!

3. Hi Alireza,
    Well, I'm just a hobbyist who "wanna be" a photographer. I've been doing a lot of portrait shots for friends, etc. Some other people saw some of my pics and they asked me if I could do their wedding ceremony. I told them that I would do it but NOT as a main photographer (I would do it for free just for practicing). I think it is a moment to important to screw everything up!
    You know the Canon 7d not being a full frame you lose some depth of field. On the other side Canon 24-70L 2.8 is a fast lens, I would be able to shoot under some poor lighting conditions...
    Thanks again,
    Rodrigo

4. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

How do you find your current equipment restrictive? What sort of photographs would you like to make or make better than you can do right now? Unless your work is being held back in some way by your equipment choices, why do you need anything? Most people don't think in terms of a constant process of pouring money into the "improvement" of their kit- they think in terms of "do I have the equipment required to allow me to take the photographs I want to the standard I need or hope for?
    A trip away to a desirable location; a course on post processing and so on can be just as useful to improving your photography as something else to carry.

5. Personally I would more likely buy the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and get rid of the 28-135. This would give you a good range of fast lenses to go with your 7D and maybe have enough left to get the 85 1.8 as a bonus.

6. As for the format (going full frame with a 5DII), here's a fairly comprehensive article I wrote on the subject:
    http://www.graphic-fusion.com/fullframe.htm
    I address depth of field issues in the article, but to summarize here, any camera, regardless of format, should give you about the same maximum depth of field capabilities before diffraction kicks in, just at different apertures. Larger format cameras will give you the option of shallower depth of field if you choose to use it.
    As for the optics, I think you will find the 24-70L is a vast improvement over the 28-135. The 24-105L is another option. I think the 24-70 isn't quite as glorious as reputed, owing to its often pronounced field curvature, and the 24-105 is maybe a tad better than reputed. (At least my copy is better than reputed.) Both are excellent lenses. On that subject, the 28-135 does not deserve the level of disrespect it gets. It's a clunky and cheaply built lens, but it's actually rather decent optically -- not as good as either the 24-70 or the 24-105, but really not bad. Whether it's really appropriate as a general purpose lens on a crop body is another matter.
    Also look into the EF-S optics if you intend to stay with a crop body. They have a native format advantage over the EF optics, such as the 24-70.

7. Weddings need camera body backups, if you were starting to seriously think about starting a business, you need the second body first.

8. +1 for what Scott said, but for weddings you may find that you'll want both the 5D and the 24-70. Your Tokina lens isn't designed for full frame, but the rest of your equipment that you've listed is compatible.

9. If you can't decide whether you want a lens or a camera you probably shouldn't be buying either of them.
    If all you are doing is shooting a wedding as a favor for someone and you aren't the wedding photographer, you don't need either of them.
    You could always rent the lens (and/or a full frame body) and see how it works out for you.

10. You have a very decent 7D so I do not recommend adding the 5D or 5D II just for this one purpose.
    Adding a lens for this one purpose may not be ideal either, so I would consider buying a used Canon EF 28-70mm f2.8 L, older Canon EF 28-80/2.8-4 L, old Canon EF 20-35mm f2.8 L or a used current Canon 17-40/f4 L would give you 28-64 equivalent on your 7D and fits nicely with your current lenses. I don't think upping the ISO on your 7D one extra stop would be a big problem.

11. but NOT as a main photographer​
    I've heard this a few times from others. You may get in the way of the main photographer. I've seen it happen more than a few times. It slows the process.

12. I agree with Bob. Rent the lens for the wedding. I would also consider (if the money is burning a hole in your pocket) getting a 135mm f2 L. It's a WONDERFUL lens (and much more affordable than the 85mm f1.2), and it sits at the long end of your 28-135. A second body would be an excellent addition, and I suggest the 60 D (or even a T3i), because they give you about the same image quality as the 7D, while adding a swivel screen into the mix, and they won't set you back an arm and a leg, like the 5 D Mk II. Then, at a later date, once you have that beautiful 135mm f2, you can get a Canon EOS 5 D Mk III, when it comes available. For now though, stick with the affordable solution that gives you a full range. You could get a 135mm f2 L, and rent the 24-70mm f2.8, and mount that lens on the 60 D. Then you can shoot with the 135mm inside, on your 7 D with the 24-70 on your 60 D, and when you are outdoors you can switch to the 70-200mm f4 L on your 7 D.
    -
    Some day you may want to get the 24-105mm f4 L IS for your 5 D Mk III. I prefer that lens to the 24-70mm f2.8 L. It has IS, and the extra zoom range just makes it more usable. Plus, if you have the 70-200 on your 7 D and the 50mm f1.4 on your 60 D, you will be set for just about every situation. Of course, then you'll want the 16-35mm f2.8 L, so you can get those cool wide shot. A less-expensive solution would be the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. It's an AMAZING lens that would go GREAT on a 60 D.
    -
    As far as getting in the way of the "main" photographer, I would remember that and try to keep your distance. Whatever you do, DON'T try to talk to or shoot from the same locations! Not only will you be wasting your time, because they are going to get better shots most of the time, but you will be "stepping on the photographer's toes" if you "copy" their shots. Pick your own locations (from about 45-90 degrees off from where they are shooting, so you don't get in the backgrounds of their shots). Always try to remain behind and at least 10 paces or more to one side of any professional photographer at a wedding, and you should be o.k. I would also suggest you get the bride to tell the photographer that you will be shooting too (before the wedding), and then when you get there (early), make sure you introduce yourself and let the photographer know that you only agreed to shoot, because there would already be a professional there. Let them know that you have no intention of trying to replace them, and that you would be happy to take any direction that they would be willing to give. This COULD be an issue, but it would certainly be helpful, and if you don't mind giving them photos, they may actually be happy to have you there as a free "extra" shooter. It will make them look better, if they can add a handful of extra photos to the album, which were shot by a friend of the family. What I am suggesting is very unorthodox, and it might be against the photographer's wishes, so I would not suggest this scenario to the bride, but if you keep it to yourself and mail a disc of images, with an explanation, to the photographer, it just might be a good surprise for the bride (though she may never know that it has been done, until she receives the photos from you). There are rules of etiquette, but rules are made to be broken, and I am an unorthodox person, so please take this as it is . . . just some suggestions of possibilities.

13. Why not consider a used version of the original 5D. I have seen them for under a grand, which is less than the 24-70. Then you have the best of both worlds! I love mine for portrait work, and the depth of field is much shallower than my 40D with the same lenses!

14. Your gear are fully compatable with 5d even the tokina as I have tested 10-17 fisheye on 5d without any problem
    except vigining. As far as going for 5d I personally don't see any reason only to burn some money if you are doing
    good with your set then why bother about second third body. Since you want to be a photographer be it but don't be
    camera collector

You can get 17-50 f2.8 then you cover most of the ranges

7d is geat camera and since I came from film days this gadget is great for me infect every thing that photographer
    thinks about is available in it. I have 7d and I will use it to end.

15. "I don't know what to do..."
    Nor do we without some ideas about what your goals are and perhaps where you feel your current gear falls short for doing your photography.
    :)
    Dan

16. At the moment it seems like your equipment list is substantial for what your needs are. You already have 2 fast lenses for low light, however I the 24-70 is an awesome lens and is defiantly recommended! Plus it is less expensive, so if you decide to pursue a photography career you can add the 5d or 5d mark 11 at a later date

17. I think you will buy both eventually. Both are worthy investments to upgrade your equipment. I would go with the lens first since you will get immediate use out of it on the 7D. The 7D demands L lenses to get the most out of it. Also, the 5D Mk III seems likely to appear in 2012, maybe as early as March. If you put the new body purchase off until then you will have the opportunity to get the Mk III if your budget allows, or get a really good deal on the last of the 5D Mk II stock or on a used one as people rush to upgrade to the Mk III.
    As to sticking with the 7D, it's a great camera but it's not a 5D. I have a 60D for casual use and a 5D Mk III for serious use. I would never give up the 5D Mk II .... except maybe for a Mk III.

18. I learned the hard way,spending too much without knowing what I wanted.I suggest you invest on lenses,the 24-70L 2.8 is a great lens for weddings,and with the 7D's crop factor,even better.I know you will eventually spend the money anyway,so there's my suggestion.Good Luck, JJ

19. The important thing is your usage for what purpose you want to buy any of those cameras.