What protective spray do you like for your prints?

<p>I've looked through photo.net and the web and haven't really found any good feedback to this question. I've been using Premiere Art Print Shield spray for some time as a protective coating on my ink jet prints. I print primarily on semigloss fine art papers, like Silver Rag, Fine Art Pearl etc. I really like Print Shield and am happy with it. It subtly enhances the print surface, and is <em>super</em> easy to apply - that's a real plus. I once tried the Krylon brand and had difficulty, to say the least in getting an even coating, that didn't have uneven patches of glossiness. The Print shield goes on like a dream, not to mention that is highly recommended by Epson.</p>

<p>What do others use as far as these solvent based spray coatings? Shades of Paper sells Clearjet for example, which is less expensive. Anyone with experience with that? Sorry if this is a redundant question, but there are a lot of these products on the market and I have been unable to find an article or thread that does a good job of comparing, so I thought I'd poll the photo.net community. If there is a thread or article, by all means point me to it. Thanks to all in advance.</p>

<p>So I am new to this, and have a more basic question, as I've never tried sprays before.</p>

<p>Do they change brightness or color in any way whatsoever? Are they archival quality so it will preserve the print indefinitely or do they 'leak' into the color at some point? Sorry for such basic questions.</p>

<p>I have one commercial printer last year that used a UV coating that reduced brightness by about 10%, a new one I'm trying uses some other coating and they say 5% (I haven't seen it yet). I would say in both cases, that has been quite annoying, because how do u judge a 5% or 10% correction? </p>

<p>For my own prints, I haven't coated yet, just out of ignorance of the benefits.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Ziggy, I can't speak for others, but here's why I coat my prints. <br>

1) Increase in archival properties. One of the biggest enemies of inkjet prints is atmospheric contaminants. A spray helps to seal the ink surface from these contaminants. Some also use spray to protect the prints from water or fingerprint damage.<br>

2) Reduction in bronzing, and a more uniform surface. I print on semigloss type papers where bronzing is an issue, as well as the noticability of uninked surfaces on the print when held at an angle. Prints look more professional once they have been sprayed. And I do sell my prints, so the latter is important<br>

3) Spraying also give a slight increase in gloss and dmax on semi-gloss and gloss prints, an added benefit IMO.<br>

The Premiere Art Shield goes on very easily and in no way diminishes brightness on the papers I use, unless you consider increased depth in the dark colors a loss of brightness. As with all things Ziggy, I recommend you try it for yourself - Your mileage may vary depending on the paper/spray combination.</p>