What printer to use for location printing?

booray

<p>I'm about to buy a printer for printing on location. I'll be printing, on average, 300 4x6's as they are shot at the event.</p>

<p>So far, the Sony Snaplab seems to be the front runner but it doesn't connect directly to the camera. That means the added expense of a laptop for go-between which I would prefer to avoid. The other option is to shoot several people, then pull the card and load it into the printer, start the print run and go back to shooting. Not sure if that's a good idea... anyone have experience with this printer?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Will you have an assistant? The swap-the-CF-card routine actually works quite quickly. The Snaplab produces very nice, durable, immediately dry, lab-looking output. <br /><br />You can, by the way, shoot tethered (or via WiFi) to a laptop's hot/watched folder, and have it use an app to queue up print jobs via USB.</p>

We are using the Kodak 9810, which prints wallets to 8X12. The 9810 is a dye sub printer. The printer is really fast, about 30 seconds for an 8X12.

You could buy a 4x6 printer, but if someone wants an 8x10 you are pretty much out of luck. $20 down the drain.

The price difference is a alot. The 9810 runs around $2200, but Sony has a model that's a bit slower and $1000.

<p>Has anyone seen the latest wifi SD cards that appear to be cropping up? Is there a CF version? These look like a possible wireless solution to the whole on site trick, without the need for expensive wireless devices on your camera.<br>

<a href="http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-eye-fi-connect-x2-4gb-wireless-sdhc-card/p1520580">http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-eye-fi-connect-x2-4gb-wireless-sdhc-card/p1520580</a> </p>

<p>Is anyone doing a portrait station and NOT connecting straight to a laptop? I see the convenience of being able to print each portrait immediately but also wonder if there isn't something to be said for shooting a bunch of portraits quickly, then swapping the card and starting the print run during a lull (less standing around for the guests..... tell them to come back for their portraits or have them at the door at the end of the night...)</p>

<p>Anyone doing this?</p>

Booray, we have both systems, direct and CF cards. For me I prefer CF cards, because when people see how great the photos look they sometimes order more. For whatever reason it's easier for me to keep tract of orders and the different sizes they want. We offer several different packages. If we are just pounding out 4X6's all day I would run a cable from the camera. Anyway, for me it's too confusing to keep the orders straight.

By the way, we have 2 Sony's and a Kodak 1400 for backups. The are slow, 45 seconds for an 8X10 and the media is $1.83 per sheet. The Kodak is about $1.23, sometimes Kodak runs specials such as buy one and get one free.