what polaroid camera is best for use at an indoor/outdoor event

<p>I'm getting married and want to put some polaroid cameras out so people can have a bit of a play taking pictures for themselves and our photo album rather than just having the traditional photographer. I've been on amazon and ebay as I don't need new ones because they'll only be used for one or two events.<br>

I know nothing about polaroids so excuse my stupidity - do they all require different types of film or is there a number of models that can take the same film so i can buy a whole load of it and have them available for when people want to use them? They also need to be suitable for indoor and outdoor use so what happens when it comes to the flash, do you have to buy one to add on or can you get them already with a built in flash?<br>

thanks!</p><div>00bsoQ-541728484.thumb.jpg.8bd4ed3719382ec656630cde6592a53f.jpg</div>

<p>Maybe instead of polariods, get single use (disposable) 35mm film cameras with flash, like <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/18772-REG/Fujifilm_600003887_Quicksnap_Flash_35mm_One_Time_Use.html">this one</a>? A lot more convenient, as you have them all developed afterwards, instead of having to collect the Polariod prints throughout the day.</p>

Can you even buy polaroid instant material any more? I know the "impossible project" revived the 600 instant film, but from what I have seen, it is still a work in progress. I may be wrong, but if you are after mature quality instant photographs, you may have to look at Fujifilm Instax.
Niels

<p>+1 for disposable cameras.</p>

<p>If you are insisting on Polaroids, there were two main classifications of Polaroid film, the very old "peel off", and the more recent, but still old, "develop before your eyes". There are several types of each, I have used both, but am hardly an expert.</p>

<p>I don't think Polaroid makes film for any of them anymore. The "impossible project", makes a compatible film for cameras that take 600 film ("develop before your eyes" type). The "One Step" cameras are available cheap on ebay, and would be a good choice for what you want to do. Most people won't bother testing them before putting them up for sale, so no guarantees that you can get working cameras.</p>

<p>I had a One-Step a long time ago. The quality was rather poor and that was with real Polaroid film.</p>

<p>Modern variation: This<em> is</em> the 21st century, if you have a geek willing to help you; you could have people email camera phone pictures to a laptop with an internet connection and print with a ink jet at the wedding.</p>

<p>Kitty,<br>

please forget the Polaroid option. Polaroid closed its film factories 4 years ago, the only machinery that survived was in Holland, which was how Impossible Project started. Trouble was that some of the critical chemical components ceased to exist as well so the new integral film (Matthew's "develop before your eyes" type) was created ground up. It's erm delicate, with very specific instructions for developing, and <em>not</em> suitable for happy tipsy people at a reception. And it's expensive. You will burn through your budget with IP film. Expired original film perhaps? Still v.expensive.<br>

I would suggest disposable cameras as the others have, they are cheap enough for one per guest.<br>

There are a couple of other alternatives that you might explore -<br>

Fuji make cameras and instant film called Instax. I don't know costs or performance but they still exist so may be feasible.<br>

Event photographers use a variety of printers based on dye sublimation. The output from these is beautiful, durable and quick. Again I don't know about costs (hire?) but I could see some sort of setup (near the chocolate fountain maybe) where digital pics (6"x4") could be printed out on demand.</p>

<p>I would forget about Polaroid, if only because the Impossible Project film which is available for them is a little tricky to use, and best considered as "fine art"... at least as of this writing. I use it myself, which is why I wouldn't recommend it for your intended project.</p>

<p>If you must have instant film cameras, I would consider the Instax Mini models from Fujifilm. They work well as point and shoot cameras, are fun to use, and the film is very reliable, much like the real Polaroid film before it was discontinued. Buying enough cameras wouldn't be cheap, though!</p>

<p>If you can find your way to my own site, you can see examples of both. Nobody ever goes there, so no waiting :-)<br>

<br />I was at a wedding where they did this exact same thing with very cheap digital cameras, but all in all, I think I would be looking at disposable film cameras, as the other posters have suggested.</p>

<p>The local Walgreens still sells disposable film cameras here.<br>

For all the reasons given above, that would be a much easier path, even if you can track down Polaroid or other 'instant' cameras and film.<br>

Film will lack the instant feedback enjoyment, of course.</p>

<p>- perhaps you can track down some inexpensive older digital P&S cameras to pass around? Even that would likely be cheaper than actual 'instant' film and cameras.</p><div>00bsqs-541732284.jpg.0abd1b044b08a115005efd913bdc87b6.jpg</div>

<p>Disposables have been done many many times before, and are somewhat inexpensive but in my experiences in weddings where they were used, is that they end up being some work too. Not to mention if you want to have some of them get into the album and plan to sort and scan them yourselves.<br>

If you just place them out on tables make sure you make an announcement regarding them (something cute about how you hope friends and family use them to help you create memories on this day is always good), the ones that say nothing and just leave them on tables usually get at least half of them back from the developers with boring photos that you can tell were taken by children that grabbed them.</p>

<p>Every time I seen the disposable camera idea used they always loose some cameras. (I have attended and been involved in many weddings) no one ever ended up getting back the same number of cameras given out. I think the best that I have seen was as 90% return. I would guesstimate a 75% return on average from what I have witnessed; this includes accounting for cameras that were damaged and could not have film developed, as a no return; tho that did not happen many times.<br>

My own sisters wedding was the worst return, getting back only half the cameras and finding not one damaged ether. Dam Italians taking the cameras!. a couple said they would pay to develop it themselves for their own set of prints and send the rest of the prints and negs... Never happened. I still find the occasional photograph at a relatives house of that wedding, and I remember well that I never seen any one there using a camera they had brought.</p>

<p>I have seen wedding events where they left them out and said nothing; ones where they had them stacked on a table near the place cards with a beautiful sign with instructions, basically asking guests to take one and return it to the receptacle right there when finished. One wedding had two cameras dropped off at the tables after the appetizers while the bride made that cute request for people to make their own photos, and one where there was about 3 or 4 on the table already and before the wedding party arrived the DJ made the announcement about helping take photos.<br>

That last scenario that I mentioned I seen happen twice and I liked the results of the best, but I would have changed the plan to have just two per table or half what ever number of disposables someone was thinking, and then later on in the wedding have a waiter drop off another two, or the other half of the cameras, because most of those shots in this scenario I mentioned were used up just after the wedding party was seated. Everyone wanting to photograph the bride and groom as they walked in as-well as the wedding party members. Tho I must admit we did see some great wedding party shots from all the different angles.</p>

<p><strong>I love the Polaroid idea</strong>. I although I have been at many Events where they had them out, I never seen that at a wedding.<br>

Polaroids are Tons of fun but the initial cost is not as cheep as disposables.<br>

If you want to go the instant film way just be aware of that.<br>

So lets assume you have several hundred dollars to spend on this endeavor.<br>

Acquiring the cameras necessary is the big part of this idea. Decide on how many you think you need. Maybe one per table? It's up to you. Then you have to get that many of the same type of camera. Using the same one would be easiest so yo can buy the film in bulk (maybe save some money that way too) and people don't get confused when they have to reload as opposed to having another type of film there.<br>

If you were someone I knew in my town I would say you can get your self a but load of film and borrow my Polaroids from my collection, they all work.I only have 5 that take 600 but I have like 15 or so pack film cameras lol.</p>

<p>HOWEVER, IF you don't have a friend like me then I would suggest buying and Using the Fuji <a href="http://en.polaroid-passion.com/fujifilm-instax-cameras.php">Instax </a>or <a href="http://en.polaroid-passion.com/fujifilm-instax-cameras.php?id=211">Instax mini</a> cameras (I like the smaller, easier to hold Mini). It Would be better if you just chose one or the other so you only had one type of film to buy. This way whether you purchase them in a lot of new cameras, or if you have the time to hunt for enough cheaper used ones, you can always sell them again once you are finished and recoup at least half your cost on the cameras. Depending how long you want to take selling them. I say half because if you want to sell them fast list them for half price and they should go fast.</p>

<p><strong>Now please <strong>Kitty,</strong> answer me a few questions; I would like to help if I can</strong>..</p>

<ul>

<li>Do you have a Budget for this Polaroid Idea?</li>

<li>Do you already have some Polaroid cameras? (If so what kind and how many)</li>

<li>Do you know how many you would like to have out there? (how many guests and tables)</li>

<li>And a big question is will there be many children there? Please people don't get offended its a valid question and I have been a part of many weddings where it was 18+ for many reasons.</li>

</ul>

<p>Next time I'll tell you about the Digital option if you like, or rather tell you the cool things I know was done.</p>

<p>Dan,<br>

If collecting the disposable cameras is so complicated, according to you (on the weddings I've been, it hasn't been all that much of a problem), then how is going to get the Polariod photos be any easier? It's a nice essay you write, but this to me seems a rather big point you step over without mentioning. If people take home the disposable cameras (a 4 dollar loss, so a 75% return rate won't cost you an arm and a leg), why wouldn't they take home the images, and those cameras too? Collecting all the individual images regardless seems a lot more of a hassle than collecting some disposable cameras, wouldn't you say?<br>

And then there is that big pink elephant in the room with polaroids: why are you going to buy the cartridges? Sure the Polaroids could be a nice idea, IF you can get enough film to put into them for a reasonable price. I wouldn't call the Impossible Project stuff cheap, and there are very little other options.</p>

<p>This could get complicated, and you're possibly going to be having to fiddle with it. I've recently been messing with an older Polaroid Land Camera, and I'll go into some detail blow just so you get some perspective. If you want instant, I'd recommend the Fuji Instax. <br /><br />You can still use the Type 100 pack format Polaroid Land Cameras (like the Land Camera 240) with the Fuji FP-100C or FP-3000B (black and white) peel-away film. The ISO 3000 b&w is the more flexible film. They're not cheap - it's $8 to $10 for a pack of 10 exposures.<br>

I've used both with a Land Camera 340. One note - the meters in the older cameras don't work as well, probably because the electrical resistance increases over time as the components age. I was ending up with dark pictures until I taped a piece of anti-static bag over the meter "eye" (the meter was off enough that you couldn't compensate with the exposure dial). <br>

The only other thing is that you really need an original polaroid pack - just one - to swap the metal cover off it onto the Fuji packs. I've been doing this, and the metal clip inside the camera hasn't been a problem - I can pull the film out easily. Without that, the metal clip presses on the fuji plastic cover, and the film can stick. You then have to time the development, based on the ambient temperature, and peel them apart at the right time. Finally, the chemicals left on the cover are somewhat caustic, and the picture isn't instantly dry. <br>

You're also looking at no flash - it's tough to find a Land Camera with a working flash (the flash in my 340 doesn't work). </p>

<p>Ms. Creme....</p>

<p>About fifteen years ago, Polaroid did have disposable Captiva film size cameras for the use you are wanting them for. But no more. </p>

<p>YOUR SOLUTION....<br>

There are offers on SleazeBay and probably other places that for around $155, shipping included, you can get a Fuji Instax which produces a Polaroid SX70/600 type picture about 4"X 2 1/2" in picture area, along with ten film packs for 100 shots. </p>

<p>This way you could pass the camera around the table and let people take pictures of the folks opposite them until everybody had an instant picture of a single or couple at the table, then pass it to the next table. That way, your guests could instant photos on the spot at the cost of $1.50/photo, which was about the cost per photo of the Captiva one-use cameras when $1.50 bought a lot more. </p>

<p>A. T. Burke </p>

<p>I've been a guest at a couple of weddings where they handed out disposable cameras and I'm guilty of taking them home. As a photographer, it's my nature to want to have copies of whatever I shot, so I made double prints and sent duplicates of the decent shots to the bride and groom.<br /><br />I agree that Polaroid is no longer affordable or practical. And if a Fuji instant camera is $155, I doubt you're going to be buying many of those. Disposables seem to be the best bet, even if not perfect. Or you might try encouraging guests to shoot with their camera phones and Facebook the shots or email them to you. You could include something to this effect in the invitation packet.<br /><br />My strongest recommendation is that whatever you do along these lines that you do it only in addiition to hiring a professional wedding photographer and not instead of hiring a photographer. Guest pictures are icing on the cake, but you want to be sure there's some cake.</p>

<p>Mr. Shearman....</p>

<p>The Fuji camera does not cost $155 by itself. It comes with 100 shots worth of film. It also gives instant results, which are much more fun at a gathering than having a digital picture emailed to you later on and certainly better than having a guest take the disposable home and never return it. </p>

<p>$155 is not a very high percentage of a current wedding cost. They could send the camera around the table, letting the guests take pictures of each other, as it passes table to table. The guests could keep 90 instant shots they would have shown one another there at the event. Then the couple could take the remaining 10pack of film and the camera on their honeymoon and take 10 instant shots on the spot. That includes out to dinner, as well as those that might be taken in the bedroom that would have NO negatives or electronic duplicates to find their way on the net. And...they would still own the camera and could get film for future use. The film is pull-dated 2015, which gives everybody a little running room. </p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>

<p>P.S. I bought and donated 50 one-time-use cameras for a high school reunion many years ago. I did not attend, but a friend gave one to each table. He then was kind enough to retrieve them, as I had also offered to pay to have a local photo store develop and provide two sets of prints for each roll. The organizers, upon receipt of my prints, were to mail, at my cost, one print to someone in the picture and keep one for the class archives. Forty tables worth of people kept the cameras, never to be seen again. People are people. </p>

<p> </p>