@ what point do you decide to sell your M gear???

b_n_f

I have an M6ttl and 4 lenses, all recent. Since I have gone digital, I have not touched my M

(except to wind and fire it) in a year or more.

On top of that, I have grown to resent paying for development and printing.

Everyone has always told me to never sell my M gear. Isnt' this time? I bailed out of my R

last spring, a system I loved, but also seldom used. Will I regret it, or should I get some

extra Christmas cash???

Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it sounds like you reached the point.<br>

But do you really need the cash ? I bought and used a DSLR for the last two years. And for

the last few months, film has been going through my rangefinders like mad !<br>

But I could revert some day, so I'll keep my DLSR...<br>

Good luck in this ever changing world, where making a decision and sticking to it is near

to impossible, for me at least ;-)<br>

Lenny<br>

<a href="http://www.afimage.com">AFimage - Photographie</a>

A year ago I bought an Olympus 5050 to use in conjunction with my on line publishing venture. It is a royal PITA. I have to re-read the miserable documentation and go through myriads of menues just to take a simple picture. It is essential to my business but for pleasure I prefer my Leicas. I've traded or sold before and in most instances have kicked my own butt later. If you can afford it, keep it. You can always get your money out of it later.

If you're happy with your digital pictures you should sell. Cameras need to be used. Sometimes mechanical shutters can gum up from lack of use.

However, I have done tests and can (off a tripod) get resolution of over 80 lp/mm on film.

The FBI's tests show that 200 asa film is equivilant to a 16 meg digital. (for crime scene photography)

So I don't expect to live long enough (at 55) to make the switch to digital. But then I don't do a lot of serious hand held photography.

<i>On top of that, I have grown to resent paying for development and printing. </i><p>

So you see no point in printing your digital pictures? Or have you found a way of getting that for free?

<p>

To try and help you with your question.<br>

Have you regretted that you got rid of the R system? Do you need the cash? Do you need it now? If you are uncertain it might be an idea to hold out a while longer. If you like your Leica, but film is the problem, maybe you just want a digital body for your M lenses?

<i>..."@ what point do you decide to sell your M gear???"... </i>

<br><br>

For me it was the point at which I was no longer interested in using it. That happened in

2002, when I traded it for a Hasselblad 903SWC. Now I'm preparing to sell the Hasselblad

... I'm only interested in working with digital capture.

<br><br>

As someone else opined rather bluntly, it's all just "junk" anyway. ;-) Good junk, but junk

nonetheless.

<br><br>

Godfrey

you might want to keep the film cams for B&W, and use the digital for color. Not saying that you can't get nice B&W from digital, a lot of pnet members do so quite nicely, but it IS a post processing skill that needs to be learned.

I actually have a bunch of film cams that I plan on keeping..........whether I use them or not.

But, I have a gut feeling it's going to be a lot like the switch from vinyl to CD for me. I like and listen to, quite enjoyably, CDs, but sometimes that vinyl sound (and I have a record cleaning machine to keep them sounding good) is what I want to hear........even to this day some 20 years after my first CD machine. I even bought a new turntable about 7 years ago.

I think film and digital are going to co-exist for me for quite a time to come.

Whenever I bought equipment, I used it. When I no longer used it, I sold it and never have regretted it. If you're so much in love with the digital flow, sell the Leica and forget about it.

However... do you need the cash? What will you use it for?

Then... what will you do when your batteries run out? Can't you pull out a film camera and save the day?

Things to ponder, right?

Nah... Sell it to me. I'll give you $200 for it.

*But, I have a gut feeling it's going to be a lot like the switch from vinyl to CD for me. I like and listen to, quite enjoyably, CDs, but sometimes that vinyl sound (and I have a record cleaning machine to keep them sounding good) is what I want to hear........even to this day some 20 years after my first CD machine. I even bought a new turntable about 7 years ago.*

Thomas, me too. VPI washing machine.

I will keep my M till I leave the planet and I am not anti-digital.