What percentage of Dslr users shoot Jpeg vs. Raw only?

t._zenjitsuman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have done both but presently just shoot Raw. One thing I have never understood is why people would shoot Raw and jpeg, other than as a backup. Is there actually a reason to have both?</p>

<p>Don't think there is a definitive answer. Phill, if I am shooting sports and need to get photos quickly to someone else for one reason or the other I may shoot both. The reason is so that I can quickly offload a jpg file to them without any post while also having a RAW file if I wish to do some editing later on.</p>

<p>I almost always shoot raw and high quality JPEG. If I have time to tweak the image and I'm at home with my Photoshop machine, I use the raw file. Quite often, I'm at work or using a different computer when someone wants access to an image in a hurry, preferably the best that can be achieved trivially - the JPEGs are also easier to categorize and process automatically. The JPEG is enough smaller than the raw that I find it acceptable to waste the time and space - I stick the JPEGs on my SD card and my raw files on the CF, though that does mean I have to delete the dross twice (unlike my D700 - I may be missing a setting). If I know I'm shooting in dubious conditions, or will never get the chance to play with the raw files because I'm in a hurry, or if I need the buffer and don't want to run out of storage (for example when I'm trying to get a sequence of people dancing), I'll sometimes switch to JPEG only - but not for important stills.</p>

<p>I typically shoot RAW only. If I need a lot of JPEGs for e-mail, etc., I do a mass RAW-to-JPEG conversion on NikonView or LightRoom. Usually I don't bother to shoot RAW + JPEG because I find even the JPEG basic files straight from the camera to be way too big for web posting and e-mail.</p>

<p>On the D7100, the memory buffer is shallow. Shooting RAW + JPEG simply makes it worse as it needs to hold both files. Initially I had no choice because I didn't have a good RAW converter for the D7100, so I had to shoot RAW + JPEG for a couple of weeks until Adobe added that to LightRoom.</p>

<p>No statistics, but I'll wager that the larger percentage of DSLR users shoot only/mostly jpegs.</p>

<p>That's because the vast majority of DSLR users (of which participation in the photo.net forums does <strong>not</strong> proportionally represent) are entry level users shooting pics of their kids and such. They don't want to spend a lot of time post processing, if they know how to do it at all. Heck, many of them are unsure of how to simply resize their jpeg photos, never mind the complexities of Raw conversions and manipulations. They want to download a usable photo straight from the camera and be done with it. Think "soccer moms", not photo geeks. They stick their camera on green Auto mode, shoot their pics of birthday parties and other family events, and then upload them straight to Facebook or take their SD/CF card to Walmart for some quick 4x6 prints.</p>

<p>Phil, I used to shoot Raw plus JPEG so that I could do full-screen previews of my images in order to decide which to process and convert from Raw to jpeg. I'd never save those in-camera JPEGS. then, I found the Irfanview program and now use that to preview my Raw images.</p>

<p>I always shoot both... I typically look through the jpegs to find the shot that stinks the least and use that one...</p>

<p>btw, most of my shots aren't "art", and to be honest, if I just used the jpeg, I doubt anyone would know the difference. But I shoot the RAW file anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There are no reliable statistics on this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

That's because it's not a very useful question. Knowing some statistics would not help anyone's photography or equipment purchases. What people have done is answered the useful questions, "When do you shoot (one or the other)?"</p>

<p>RAW + JPEG Basic for me, so I can post the JPEGs to Facebook etc immediately if I want to. </p>

<p>For "keepers" and any shots requiring post processing I over-write the small JPEG with a high quality one created from the modified RAW file. </p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p>Actually, I do exactly as Chris does: save over the small jpg if I've processed the RAW more than my presets for jpg.<br>

I used to shoot high-res jpgs along with the RAW and settled on this replacement strategy as minimizing the "working" over as the file sizes from the cameras got larger and larger.</p>

<p>Micheal your answer is probably the situation, most people want the camera to just give them <br>

sharp results fast. <br>

One thing I can think of that D7100 owners should consider, Jpeg + 1.3 crop mode<br>

probably solves the buffer issues. If you don't need raw for shooting your kids<br>

little league or basketball game then having the latest Nikon AF cam doing focus<br>

tracking is a fine setup.</p>

<p>I looked up on Dpreview and they did a poll. About 35% used Jpeg alone some of the time.<br>

That was higher than I thought for a group more knowledgeable than the general public.<br>

I would say that means a majority of Dslr owners don't use Raw but occasionally.<br>

Maybe that is why Nikon didn't design the D7100 with a larger buffer. They seem to<br>

have designed the D7100 to do Jpeg shooting at full frame rate pretty well, and<br>

faster in crop mode to meet the expectations of most amateurs that don't use RAW<br>

but occasionally. </p>

<p>+3 JDM. Another reason for saving a small jpg is if you use on-line backup. If you want to quickly examine a file from another device, the jpgs appear as small thumbnails using many of the on-line services. This doesn't occur with raw files.</p>

<p>I shoot JPG only for football and surfing and NEF + large fine JPG for everything else. I will mostly post process with the JPG file and only use the NEF file when the image has been shot under difficult lighting conditions or has other issues. The JPGs from the D7100 are pretty decent by themselves. </p>