What % of your phots are taken using "P" setting? C'mon, be honest

walter_strong5

<p>I'm finding that I do just as well to leave my camera on "P" unless there's a GOOD reason to move it to another setting. Last Fall I shot an entire family reunion on "P" and used my software to make the changes I wanted. Depending on what I'm shooting my camera is set on "P" at LEAST 75% of the time. I guess if I was shooting high fashion stuff it'd have to be different, but not for the day to day photography I like to do. How 'bout the rest of you? </p>

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Personally, I've never used Program mode once, but I met Rick Sammon at a photo seminar a few years ago and he said he normally leaves his camera in Program mode so he's ready for an instant shot. When there's more time, he uses other modes. Rick makes his living as a travel photographer (and teacher and speaker), so it makes sense. Maybe I should try it, but I'm happy with Av and M, and an occasional Tv.</p>

<p>About 75% of the time I use Av mode. The remainder is M mode. M mode is preferable when I use a tripod and am shooting in a studio where the lighting doesn't change. I don't have anything against P mode but it gets tiresome using program shift and it's much easier to just set what you want yourself.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>quite a many. I use shiftable P (to dial up or down aperture or shutter as needed) and adjust exposure compensation based on the background.</p>

<p>why have a dog an bark?</p>

<p>I use M when I'm in difficult lighting (like black suits which can throw exposure) and taking a series of images (I hate micro variations)</p>

<p>90% P, 8% AV, 2% M. I started out with a borrowed AE-1 (non-program) about 25 years ago, and couldn't figure out why you would use AV on a friend's Nikon since the Canon was TV or M only. After buying an Elan IIe I never used TV again. If I need a lot of depth of field or want to stop down for sharpness I use AV, and if I'm shooting at night without flash or have a specific effect in mind I use M. Otherwise P works fine. Most of the time it is pretty close to what I would set in AV. I don't buy the "I don't want the camera thinking for me" lines you will get on this thread. Unless you are using a hand held meter or the sunny 16 rule you will be using the camera's meter, so it is even thinking for you in M. What do most of us do when DoF isn't critical? We open the lens up for the fastest shutter speed and shoot. What does P do? It opens the lens up for the fastest shutter speed for you, so you can shoot without having to do it yourself. I still pay attention and switch to AV or M if I don't like the aperture/shutter speed combination, but it isn't needed all that often.</p>