What new features would you like to see?

al_derickson

<p>Here's some things I would like to see on the next generation Nikon DSLR:<br>

1. Molded in notches for Arca/Swiss clamps. Since these seem to be the standard for tripod ballheads now I don't see why I should have to buy custom plates from RRS or Kirk for every new camera I buy.<br>

2. Automatic hyperfocal focusing. You'd set a desired circle of confusion in menu and then for any given aperture you could hit a button and the lens would focus at hyperfocal distance and a readout would tell you what distances would be in focus. Optionally, live view would highlight out of focus objects.<br>

3. Build-in ND grads. This would work through live view and you would use the directional button to maneuver ND part over the composition. The density of the filtration would be set using the thumb wheel.<br>

What do you think? What ideas would you like to see implemented?</p>

<p>1. Definitely a good idea. But seeing how camera manufacturers like to roast their customers on accessories pricing, more likely that Arca-Swiss will eventually become as standard as the 1/4x20 threaded attachment, and camera makers will offer their own plates (at bargain rates of course ;-)).<br>

2. Didn't Canon have something similar to this on a few of their film bodies. DEP focus or something like that? Set an aperture, and the camera would focus to the hyperfocal distance?<br>

3. Probably more likely to be implemented via the various manufacturers proprietary RAW editing software. The wider the dynamic range of new sensors down the road, the more versatility such a utility would have.</p>

Don, can you explain a bit more about what you mean? The dynamic range is, by current design methodology, baked

into a camera's data processing stream. It is vastly improved in the D800 vs. older generation cameras, but necessarily

degrades at higher ISOs.

If you are referring to how the cameras handle blowouts, I'd absolutely agree that changes at the sensor level to mimic

how film responds to overexposure would be a very welcome improvement, but I don't see manufacturers going there in

the near term.

<blockquote>

<p>Molded in notches for Arca/Swiss clamps. Since these seem to be the standard for tripod ballheads now I don't see why I should have to buy custom plates from RRS or Kirk for every new camera I buy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I quite like the idea, but actually would prefer it if they could standardise the space around the tripod mount, so that a "Nikon plate" would work for any Nikon, with maybe only the D4-likes having a second type of Nikon plate. D300 and D700 are near identical bodies, yet it required a new plate...I really fail to see why.<br>

The reason I'd prefer this is the fact that a lot of photographers do not use A/S quick release plates. I think the majority has the kind of QR-plates like the Manfrotto RC2 ones. This solution would be proper to all.</p>

<p>1. Agree, absolutely. I have asked for it several times here, too. My Markins L-plate is getting welded to my D700... <br /> 2. Well, I almost never use hyperfocal focusing. I prefer to have perfectly focused pics... :)<br /> 3. As the sensor became better, this adjusments can be made more efficiently on post processing.</p>

<p>Another feature I use to miss is a good remote shutter release built-in system. It can be implemented instead of the silly pop-up flash on current top bodies. It could be a detachable&switchable radio triggering device, or even a different accessory (GPS, a technical computer, etc).</p>

<p>1.) Good idea on the molded notches for the Arca/swiss clamps but it gives me another idea how about swappable hand grips. Big hands, small hands, don't like the fit swap it for one you like. "Get the one that feels right to you" would fit more people.</p>

<p>2.) I REALLY love the face detection in the viewfinder feature of the D800, I use it all the time. More models need it!</p>

<p>3.) Canon had #2 a long time ago no one really used it that I'm aware. You told the camera you wanted to use the feature, focused on the nearest thing you wanted in focus, the furthest, then it changed the focus to the hyperfocal between the two and adjusted the aperture to fit the bill. But, no one I'm aware actually used it except to see how it worked it was time consuming and situational to use and most after some practice get the idea of where the hyperfocal is and about what aperture to use anyway. </p>

<p>4.) Built-in ND Grads... I don't know the usefulness because I haven't had too many situations Active-D Lighting didn't take care of things. I find set to auto and shooting jpeg it does a fantastic job, and doesn't give me an HDR look. Besides that, both Nikon & Canon have HDR now (Nikons taking 2 images and Canon taking 3) and merging them. I find my Nikon does a superb job if I'm using a tripod and no moving subjects (better than active-d lighting) but for moving subjects I find Active-D lighting on Auto to do a really fantastic job... applying heavy when needed or light. </p>

<p>5.) The auto-assist light include an optional red cover that shoots a red pattern like my flashes instead of the bright light. But, sometimes the bright light is better so I'd like it removeable/replaceable. I'll take Nikons bright auto-assist light over Canons built-in flash strobing effect they use. </p>

<p>6.) Sort of a pipe dream, I love Nikons built-in flash I find it makes outdoor shots of the kids better using it for a catchlight/fill when I don't want to lug a true flash around. However, I wish I could flip it back so I can also use it indoors at night for bounce for just shots of my kids being cute. Using it straight ahead indoors gives that deer in the headlight look, and often I find I rather crank the ISO for those shots instead of getting my speedlight. </p>

<p>Joel, I think you explained what I meant. I agree the D800 is an improvement over previous models but still has a long way to go. I don't see how the range is 'baked in' at it's current level of performance. Anything about digital camera performance can be improved and most certainly will.</p>

<p>Al's 1 is a fairly arcane feature. Many of us will never use an Arca-anything in our lifetime.<br /> and<br /> 2 was implemented on a number of SLRs with something called ADep or some such. Hardly anyone ever used it, I think.<br /> Al's #3, however, does not belong on the camera, IMHO. It is something that is easy to do with actual filters or in software with the image(s).</p>

<p>That's the trouble with most of these kinds of "dream features". They are usually something that only a small audience would use, and that is solved more efficiently by other means</p>

<p>I would like a new type of metering to be added based on RAW and Expose To The Right. This would significantly improve image quality for many images. When using the camera in Live View all the information to make a perfect ETTR exposure is available. Record the offset in the RAW file and the RAW converter could create an image that is properly exposed.</p>

<p>I would also like built in radio triggers that could work with the system flashes. The optical systems work fine indoors most of the time, but outdoors I've had some trouble. But I don't want to invest in a whole set of radio triggers.</p>

<p>I would also like the Arca plates built in, but I would settle for a tripod mount on the side so we don't need to buy L Plates. At least stop putting the USB, mic, and video jacks on the left side, since the L Plates get in the way of the weatherproof doors on these.</p>

<p>Built in ND grads would be nice, but I see too many technical issues with an SLR to really want that.</p>

<p>I don't really use hyperfocal focusing, but I think there are a lot of assumptions that go into properly setting this up. Primarily how big is your enlargement going to be. That right there changes everything.</p>

<p>How about a square sensor to fully utilize the image circle of FX lenses? Then we don't need to rotate the camera. As a plus we would get square images, which I love.</p>

<p>Focus peaking would be great in Live View (or the electronic view finder if it has one).</p>

<p>My wish list:</p>

<ol>

<li>Built in iTTL/manual flash radio trigger. The corresponding receivers built into Nikon flash guns, and available separately for studio flash / third party flash guns</li>

<li>An option to stop exposure compensation from affecting flash exposure as well as ambient, so I can ride the EC button to change the background exposure only - the way Canon does it.</li>

<li>Built in Wi-fi and free tethering software </li>

</ol>

1. Kirk and RRS make great products. Ball heads as well. When you sell the camera you can sell the plate/bracket.

2. HFD would be useful if you're willing to shoot at f/16, sacrificing sharpness to diffraction.

3. What's wrong with real ND grads? If your camera has good dynamic range you can get within a stop or two of the perfect value and still

have enough noise free detail to process a good outcome. I use grads because no digital solution compares to the effect. Argue all you

want - and many people will - but I stand by this statement, and so does my portfolio. Singh-Ray filters are excellent.

Other features:

A. A High resolution, noise free Live View image on the D800 that allows one to focus a manual lens (e.g. a PC-E) with as much fine detail as the sensor can capture Canon can do it. Why not Nikon?

B. Canon-style TS lenses for Nikon with independent control of tilt and shift axis.

C. Auto ETTR metering based on the capacity of the raw image. I would even accept one that would require two or more sequential

images to get the vakue right.

D. DNG output option for Canon and Nikon bodies.

E. High end bodies with rotating LCD screens.

LG - with you about the side tripod mount. My Pentax 645 (original) has this. Not sure why more DSLRs don't. Not convinced about the

square sensor, but that discussion's elsewhere. I now have an L plate, but it wasn't cheap.

I've got a plenty long list, many of which Nikon have had from me, some of which I'll add if I have time to hack the BIOS (so far, all whingeing

and no fixing, sorry). If Nikon ever work out that my left hand is holding a lens and can't reach any control points, that would make me happy.

Patrick - hot shoe flash is usually a last resort IMHO. Nikon can trigger off-camera flash with the integrated unit (in many bodies), making the

idea of a side shoe moot to me, and some passive brackets are very cheap. I've found a strobe on the end of a monopod, held by the far end

with another strobe and triggered by a camera in the middle, gives portable clamshell lighting, if in a slightly unwieldy way. Canon have radio

flash now, of course, so Nikon may follow.