What makes a great picture, better than a good picture?

What makes a great picture, better than a good picture?

An OK picture is one that is technically correct, ie. in focus,

balanced both visually and in color. A good picture to me, is one

that stirs up an emotion, feeling, tells a story, etc.

But, what seperates a good picture from a great picture?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank, I think a great photograph transends it's own time and place ,and is just as good

(great) 10, 20 ,100 years from the time it was taken. It can also be because of the subject

matter is so compelling that the subject overcomes any inperfections in the photograph.

Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald comes to mind.

Many of the Great photographs I have seen, tell the story, and make you feel something

with just that one Image. When

nothing can be added or taken away in a image to make it better , that is a great shot. I

sometimes wish I was at the time and place when I see a good shot ,so I could shoot it

myself , a Great shot is one that I just wish was mine.

An OK picture doesn't need to be technically correct. A good picture doesn't need to be technically correct. A great picture doesn't need to be technically correct. None of the technical mambo-jumbo actually has much to do with photography. It's just the necessary evil to get the image. Many, if not most better-known photographers broke all the technical and societal norms they could break to get their images. Winogrand, Klein, Frank, Lange, Arbus, Brandt, Friedlander, just to name a few.

All that's important is your reaction to the photograph. You, have to decide if it works for you. Something that looks great to you, maybe OK or poor to someone else. Also, very often, if not most of the time the good end-result of the whole process looks completely different from what you intended when you took the photo. Sometimes most of the work to get the image is done in editing phase.

I think this question is impossible to answer for all great photographs. But that doesn't stop me from taking a stab at it...

I would say a great photograph has coherent energy. There are many dimensions by which we judge and interpret photos and in a great photo, all aspects contribute to the overall experience of the photo...the composition, the use of light, color, what's in the shot, what isn't, the subject matter, the relationship of the photo to the times in which it was taken, the life circumstances of the photographer, the relationship between the photographer and the photo, etc, etc, etc.

Or, put another way, "What makes a great picture better than a good picture?". Duh. A great picture is great. A good one isn't. If the great picture weren't so great, it would only be good. Or even mediocre.

Or, "It's great because we say it is.". There is agreement on its greatness. Nothing more, nothing less. "Ah", you say, "but if a photo truly is great, there wouldn't be complete agreement about its greatness, for one aspect of a great photo is that it challenges the viewer, and some people just wouldn't get it." So a photograph's greatness may be both self-limiting and subject to change over time as certainly who the bestowers of greatness are will change over the years.

So. Who's opinion are you going to trust?

Then, of course, there's the question of exactly what you mean by "great". Once you answer that, you're half way there.

I would say this:

1) A great photo is first a subjective thing only in one sense: we

have favorite subjects and different interests. Therefore, up to a

point, there is a limit for each and every one of us in the ability to

appreciate photos of a given genre. I, for example, believe I can

appreciate many pictures in many genres, but I still have to

confess, that I seldom find a great photo that's a sunset or a

photo of a bird, a cat or a dog. This is simply because such

pictures, even very well done, very rarely grab me. (As a

side-note, I try as much as possible to leave these personal

likes and dislikes aside when I rate or comment pictures on

Photo.net, which I think is necessary to be fair.)

2) A great photo is: a photo in which the form matches the

content, so that the essence of the subject and the message

regarding the subject matter (if any) can be brought forwards in a

coherent and powerful manner, for all to see.

"Art doesn't reproduce what's visible, it makes new thinks

visible", said Paul Klee (poor translation, sorry). I agree, and I'd

say that a great picture presents us with the essence of its

subject. regards.

ww.masters-of-photography.com/S/smith/smith_minamata.html

If so, it has a different title, but yes, it's an amazing picture.

Here's another one I love by E. Smith...:

www.masters-of-photography.com/S/smith/smith_wake.html

This kind of question, which begs for judgement, is only answerable in context of

whichever elite bestows the distinction. But we might broadly agree that the destruction of

the Hindenburg, the shooting of Oswald, the Vietnamese child running towards us in

flames; these are great because they transcend words to describe history as only the

wince of a man who's just been shot in the abdomen can convey.

"...these are great because they transcend words to describe history as only the wince of a man who's just been shot in the abdomen can convey."

Not discounting what you wrote but what you described were memorable photojournalist images as opposed to a great image. Does an image have to be memorable in order to be great and based upon your above can only photojournalist images be great?

Photojournalism photographs are not the only photos that are great. But in most cases it's published photos that everyone here sees. I am sure there are Great photos in peoples basements,and portfolios , but not as many people are affected by them, if they are never seen . One good thing about Photonet, is that I get to see many great photos that would never be published.

If we agree that the idea of great can only apply to an agency that has demonstrated its

motive power...like Newtonian Physics, or Mahatma Ghandi, then what is locked up in the

attic, just like a world-class-quality athelete who never competed is out of the running.

Abe Lincoln would never have had a chance at greatness if he hadn't attained the reins of

power.