What low budget fisheye would you recommend for the a900 or a77?

mark_stephan2

Want to give fisheye photography a try. My primary camera is the wonderful a77. I also use the a900 from time to time so it doesn't matter if it's APS-C or FF. I'd like to pick up a low budget fisheye lens. If it's something I really like I'll pick up a nicer lens. Budget is a maximum of $150.00. Any recommendations? All kinds of E mount lenses but only a few on eBay for the ancient A mount. One other thought, the fisheye adapters are available for $25.00 or less, would this be something to consider? I'd like to get the full fisheye effect, not the round fisheye effect if that makes sense.

Sticking a door-viewer in front of a standard lens is supposed to work.

Having never seen the attraction of fisheye lenses, personally I've never tried it, but it seems like the cheapest way of 'putting a toe in the water'.

I do have several Samyang lenses though, and generally they're good to excellent performers. If I was in the market for a fisheye, I'd definitely be looking at Samyang. Especially since they seem to offer several focal lengths of fisheye.

To add clarity to the two previous comments, as I understand the situation: Rokinon and Samyang are exactly the same lenses, just different badging.

WW

- Yes, Samyang, South Korea, is the original manufacturer, and Rokinon is a badge-engineering company that markets the lenses. Mainly in the US as I understand.

Maybe this says something about the level of xenophobia in the US market, maybe not. No comment.

Tokina makes a 11mm-17mm for crop sensors, I think they make a Sony mount version. I had a Canon version and was impressed with the build quality and sharpness. Perhaps not quit a fish eye but getting into that area at 11 mm. Opteka make a fisheye adapters that will thread onto a lens. I recall one of the local camera shops had one that would fit a 50mm or approximately there abouts. Google fisheye adapter, see if you can find one that might fit a lens you have.
Cheers, Mark

At the price you're talking about, your only real option is an auxiliary wide angle lens that mounts in front of your existing lens.

It's a decent and cheap way to stick your toe in the water. Results can be fairly good if you avoid shooting wide-open.

Also, you can get a sort of "Lomo-like" effect and some have gone that direction intentionally.

There are some old Spiratone (and Samigon, etc.) 180-degree auxiliaries that are usable, again stopped down (LINK)

811407612_Spiratone--Samigon.jpg.f0963b0d1e3ed41dd18a596ed44bcf2c.jpg

X.15X auxiliaries

• Like 1