What lenses are in your camera bag?

tempest_connolli

<p>Wilderness photographer Boyd Norton lists the following lenses in his camera bag:<br>

10-22mm; 28-135mm; 100mm macro; 100-400mm. <br>

(From the list, I assume he's shooting Canon with a crop factor.)<br>

That's a remarkably austere list for a professional. What's in your camera bag, and what would you choose if you were building from scratch?<br>

(List found at <a href="http://thewildernessphotography.blogspot.com/">http://thewildernessphotography.blogspot.com/</a>)</p>

<p>Just listing what lenses you have doesn't really tell anybody anything. The whole idea is to match gear to what your use is. I shoot at night a lot, and am mostly an outdoor photographer. I'm pretty eclectic in what I photo. I value flexibility and the ability to photo in low light. So, I mostly just have Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, NIkon 17-55mm f2.8, and Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR along. In Iceland, I left the 70-200mm VR home and took the 80-400mm VR instead as I wanted the extra reach for birds. I really don't like carrying around a whole bunch of lenses. I think you will find a pattern that the more experienced somenone is, the less they carry. THis is because they know what they need and aren't likely to haul around stuff they don't need.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I think one can easily generalize too much about what "professionals" do, and in any case I don't think four lenses qualifies as "austere" -- especially for a wilderness photographer, who presumably spends a lot of time hiking around outdoors and probably wants to minimize the weight of his equipment. For Canon APS-C, the lenses he's chosen seem obviously intended to cover a wide range of focal lengths without weighing too much, while still providing good IQ. One can also infer from this list that he doesn't care too much about wide apertures: none of his three zoom lenses can open up wider than f/3.5.</p>

<p>As for myself, it depends which camera I'm carrying. I shoot film most of the time, and since classic film cameras and their lenses are cheap these days, I've built up a small collection. I usually shoot only primes, and my ideal set of lenses to carry (for 35mm cameras) is 20mm, 28mm, 50mm, 105mm, and 200mm. If I have 85mm instead of 105mm, then I also add in a 135mm. I also like having a 300mm or 400mm lens, though usually it stays at home unless I expect to need it. Instead of a dedicated macro lens, I carry extension tubes and a reversing ring.</p>

<i>for a professional</I>

<br><br>

A professional what? There are too many disciplines and sub-disciplines to make that kind of characterization. Sounds to

me like someone who knows how much he wants to carry. I spent this morning shooting horses out in a very hilly 200 acre

pasture. The client wanted intimate, up close stuff as well as scenic/atmospheric material. I carried a 70-200/2.8, a 30/1.4,

a 10-20, a 17-55/2.8, two bodies, and a tripod.

<br><br>

If I'd been out for a different reason, it would have been a completely different recipe. Now, if the photographer in question said

that was all he owns, I'd have been more surprised.

<p>Thanks Kent, Craig and Matt for sharing. I realize that there are lots of different subjects out there. I just wanted to hear about what some of the experienced folks carry and their reasons. I tend to have too many lenses, and will at some point pare down. But for now it was just curiosity asking a question.</p>

<p>The way to pare down is to keep track of when you last used something, and what for. If it's been over a year, I seriously consider getting rid of it. I don't just go by overlapping focal lengths either. I have both Nikon 18-55mm VR and 17-55mm f2.8. The f2.8 is the lens I take along regularly, but I take the 18-55mm VR when I want to travel light, when the conditions will be risky, or I take it as a back up lens. I have both the Nikons 70-200m f2.8 VR + TC-17E and 80-400mm f2.8 VR. I usually bring the f2.8 lens because it's better in low light, something I often shoot in. I take the 80-400mm when I need something a bit more compact/lighter or am anticipating wildlife shots. I never take both along at the same time. Pick the gear that best matches what you are doing.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>Mine never changes so it's pretty easy, currently using pair of D200s:<br />28-80mm 3.5-4.5 Tamron SP (old 1980s Adaptall II)<br />50mm 1.8 (old small flat "pancake" manual Nikkor)<br />50mm 1.4 AF-D<br />85mm 1.8 AF<br />180mm 2.8 AF-D<br />300mm 4.5 Ais (regular manual no IF or ED)<br />5T and 6T Diopters (for 85mm)</p>

<p>For me it depends eh .. as a hobbyist.</p>

<p>For home walk and about for my SIG at the camera club which I think in future I will focus in my own scape photog, takes too much time - that's more casual so a 18-200 is enof and just maybe a 10-20mm.</p>

<p>I don't do sports and events or portraiture.</p>

<p>For travel, my ideal would be a cheap D700 body and 2 primes like a 35/1.4 and a 85/1.8 (that I do have), maybe a zoom of some type but still working on this. Currently it's a DX body with 18-70mm and a 50 or 85/1.8 I feel severely restricted in the wide angle prime area. Not mention the high ISO, re: low light handheld photog. I find that I am shooting quite a no. of my night shots on ISO 1600 which is the max for the D70. </p>

<p>At home doing my scape photog, before I sold the 8-200/2.8, not upgraded yet, my combo was a 18-35 and a the fast tele.</p>

<p>My bag gets reconfigured for every mission. Actually, I have a couple of bags, but my favorite is a Lowepro PhotoTrekker AW. Sometimes, I put the 300mm f2.8 mounted on a D3 or D2X right down the center, other times, it's more "portrait". And right now, it's still configured from a recent outing, with totally obscure macro stuff...</p>

<ul>

<li>D3 and D90 backup</li>

<li>200mm f4 micro-Nikkor, with Kirk arca foot</li>

<li>Nikon PB-4 bellows with E2 ring (best ring for a PB-4 on a D3)</li>

<li>18, 25, 40, adn 63mm Zeiss Luminars</li>

<li>105mm El-Nikkor (I like it on the bellows)</li>

<li>Nikon 10X CF (I like that on the bellows, too. It's sharper than the 18mm Luminar)</li>

<li>Three SB-800</li>

<li>assorted reflectors, diffusers, flash stands and brackets</li>

</ul>

<p>I happen to know Boyd Norton, the pro in the OP's opening thread. My wife and I went to Tanzania with him back in year 2000. Of course we were all shooting 35mm film at that time, and Norton was using Leica SLRs and lenses. He must be close to 60 years old then, which would make him close to 70 by now. Interesting that he has switched to Canon DSLR, and his lens preference nowadays may have something to do with his age and those lenses being relatively light. Unfortunately, I have not been in touch with him much since that trip.</p>

<p>14mm to 500mm, zooms and primes, in my bag at home, but what's in the bag I take to the field depends entirely what I anticipate seeing and what I want to do on a particular day. Heck, yesterday I took two film cameras (645 and 6x6) and used only a single lens on each. When I'm driving around not knowing what to expect, I'll have everything including the kitchen sink (literally; I travel in a camper).</p>

If it's digital, my pack generally tends to look like this:

D700

20mm f/2.8D

70-200mm VRII

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro

As much as I'd love to have a 35mm or 50mm f/1.4, I don't find myself shooting at that focal range with my D700. I

have specific aims when I go out with this setup: wilderness, shots on the sly, and wide angles.

For walking around on the street, I'd much rather go with my film setup:

OM-1n & OM-2sp

24mm f/2.8

35mm f/2.8

85mm f/2

The OM-1n usually has B&W film, either ilford delta or tri-x, because I believe the meter isn't quite as accurate as on

the OM-2sp. The OM-2, for that reason, usually has some sort of slide film, either velvia, elitechrome or sensia. Usual

setup is 35mm on one body, 85mm on the other.

Each day demands different equipment. Sometimes I go with just my M4 and 35mm f/2.8 Summaron if I feel like

challenging myself with exposure, etc. Other times if I'm craving a big-assed negative I'll go for my Mamiya 6 and

50mm f/4.

Dependent on so many things...

<p>No matter how far I have to walk I take,<br>

(All Nikkors)<br>

20mm f/2.8<br>

35mm f/2.8<br>

50mm f/1.8<br>

85mm f/1.8<br>

105mm f/2.5<br>

105mm f/2.8 Micro<br>

24-120mm AF-S VR<br>

80-200mm f/2.8<br>

300mm F/4 AF-S + tc-17e and tc-20e teleconverters<br>

SB 24 flash<br>

SB 26 flash<br>

SB 900 flash<br>

D700<br>

F100<br>

F4s<br>

Gitzo 1548 tripod with kirk BH-1 Head<br>

+ many small items, a rain suit, 32" reflector, camo net, and a small collapsible stool.<br>

All these items are carried in or attached to a Lowe Pro Photo Trekkor back pack.<br>

It may sound stupid to some, but I am 30yrs old, 6' tall, and 245lbs, the weight of the gear is not an issue: and I use all of that stuff and i never know when I might need what. If I am fortunate enough to add a super tele to the pack I will remove some items. </p>

<p>I am no professional, but here is what I carry:</p>

<p>-Nikon 18-35mm<br /> - Nikon 24-85mm<br /> - Nikon 70-300mm <br /> - Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 AI-S<br /> - Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D AF<br /> - Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D AF<br /> - Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF</p>

<p>The D700 is the standard body in the first camera space of the bag, the second space is occupied either by the F2A, or the F5 or the D300 in which case a 18-200mm is mounted on it. Two SB800 and a Sekonic 358 are also in the bag most of the time.</p>

<p>Anyone asked why I no longer walk around when taking pictures? Drive around is the standard these days.</p>

<p>I'm just an enthusiast, but when I hike, I carry a D60, Tamron 10-24 (which is like 2/3rd of the weight of a Tokina), the Nikon 35 1.8, and the Nikon 55-200 VR... and a Slik tripod which weighs about 1.7 lbs I believe (as well as a slew of ND's, GND's, CP's, and such).</p>

<p>All of that fits in the bottom half of a daypack, which leaves the top half free for... stuff. A few boxed meals, extra layers of clothing, and so forth.</p>

<p>If I were to start all over, I'd probably end up adding a significant amount of weight, so I don't know if I would get tired of it, but I'd probably go:</p>

<p>D3100, Tokina 12-24 DX II (I found that on the Tamron, I rarely use 10-12 range, and it vignettes on Cokin P holders anyway), 35 1.8, and the Nikon 70-300 VR.</p>

<p>The latter I'd have to think seriously about. I use the 55-200 the least, but there have been times I've come across wildlife, where I wish I had just a bit extra reach, and a slightly snappier autofocus.</p>

<p>When I'm just driving around and doing a few short off-road hikes, I lug nearly everything I have with me.</p>

<p>For weddings I carry<br>

D700, 17-35, 24-70<br>

Olympus E510, 50-200<br>

For street, I mix, depending on how I feel<br>

Olympus 14-54, 50-200<br>

or Sony R1 24-120<br>

or Canon G10<br>

For vacation type travel I usually carry the G10<br>

For casual event and performance when I don't know what I will be up against i carry<br>

D700 and Nikon 28-200G, with ISO up to 12800 this works for most light levels.</p>

<p>Shooting at zoos/wildlife parks for fun/reference:<br>

D200, 24/2.8D, 70-300VR, occasionally with SB600</p>

<p>Shooting at zoos/wildlife parks seriously<br>

D300, 16-85, 70-200VR, 300/4 AF-S, SB600, Flash Extender, Monopod</p>

<p>Shooting wildlife when far away from home<br>

D200, D300, 16-85, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 300/4 AF-S, Sb600, SB28, Flash Extender, monopod, hyperdrive.</p>

<p>Event shooting<br>

D300, 16-85VR, SB600, snoot</p>

<p>Indoor shooting<br>

D300, 24/2.8D, 50/1.8D, maybe flash</p>

<p>Walkaround<br>

D200 + 16-85VR or 24/2.8D. Maybe flash.</p>

<p>Yeah :D I love the flexibility of a slr :D</p>

<p>Also: Not a pro.</p>

<p>Alvin</p>

<p>>>Well, I just take pictures for the sake of taking pictures and trying to come up with something I am pleased with...and in my bag you can always find a<br>

D300,<br>

F100<br>

35mmf/2 AI<br>

50mm f/1.4AFD<br>

12-24mm f/4<br>

28-80mm f/3.3-4.5<br>

80-200mm f/4.5-5.6<br>

SB900<br>

and a manfrotto tripod and ballhead attached to the bag...<br>

Works for me!</p>

<p>I have two bags - my bag to carry everything Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW and a Kata DR461 when I want to travel light.<br>

Sticking with lenses and not all my other stuff:<br>

18-135mm f/3.5-5.6<br>

50mm f/1.8<br>

24-70mm f/2.8<br>

70-300mm f4-5.6<br>

D90 w/MB-D80 grip and Black Rapid R-strap.</p>

<p>When I add a 80-200mm f/2.8 or 70-200mm VRII I will get a larger bag once again to hold everything.</p>

<p>I dabble a bit with about any subject matter now with digital. (Much cheaper than film, for all the misses!) But when I converted from Canon's FD to EOS, I sacrificed a collection of "good glass," mostly aimed at Wildlife subjects, but knew I would also eventually enter the "digital world." So, still aiming toward mostly Wildlife/Nature.<br>

My Lowepro Compu Trekker usually contains . . . (Oh yeah, and I'm like Stephen P. and many of the other's . . . )</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I'll have everything including the kitchen sink"</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Canon 50D </strong>with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 mounted.<br>

EF 50 f/1.4<br>

EF 100 f/2.8 Macro L IS<br>

EF 100-400 f/4-5.6 L<br>

420EX<br>

FujiFilm FinePix F40fd<br>

Remote, Cards, Batteries, etc., etc..<br>

If traveling - HP Notebook & accessories<br>

Tripod, Monopod & Ballhead (If not attached to the Trekker, . . . close by in car trunk)<br>

<strong>Canon EOS3</strong> with EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM MkII mounted<br>

EF 50 f/1.4<br>

EF 100 f/2.8 Macro<br>

EF 100-400 f/4-5.6<br>

Canon 1.4X TC <br>

Elan 7e<br>

Remote, Batteries, & lots of film<br>

Tripod usually attached to backpack.<br>

If going for wildlife, usually carry Flashlight, Nikon Binoculars, Hunting Blind & Thermos of Coffee!<br>

<em>Not Pro, . . . just a hobbyist having fun!</em></p>

<p>Does me good to see a few hauling more stuff than I do when prowling the woodlands. I've got Canon 50mm 1.8, 18-35 kit lens, 100mm macro, and 75-300 DO/IS, along with all the "other stuff". Had I more money and a bit more strength there'd be about 3 more lenses in there, a 500mm and a wide angle included.</p>

<p>I have to say I'm surprised at how much stuff some of you carry, especially the people carrying three zooms AND an bunch of primes (not even very fast ones) within the same ranges, all for the same camera or compatible cameras! What for? I believe that you actually use all those lenses, but surely you don't use them all in the same session? Would a little forethought help, perhaps?</p>

<p>When I first started using primes exclusively, I carried more than I do now and I changed lenses frequently. Eventually I realized that in essence I was carrying around one very slow super-zoom lens -- in the sense that I was still thinking like a zoom shooter, but changing focal lengths was slow because I had to change lenses. So I started cutting down on lenses and learning how to do more with less, which to me is a crucial part of the difference between shooting with zooms and shooting with primes.</p>

<p>Another topic that's related to this discussion is: What type of bag do you use, and why? I don't mean which brand name; I'm thinking more of the difference between belt packs, photo vests, shoulder bags, and backpacks. I own a fairly large photo backpack, but I only took it out into the field once -- at which point I immediately realized what a mistake it was. A backpack has to be taken off and set down somewhere to get into it. A shoulder bag or belt pack can be accessed more quickly and without setting it down, which I find to be a huge advantage (especially when the ground is wet!). Nowadays my backpack sits on the floor in my house and serves as storage for my Canon EOS equipment. When I take my 5D Mark II out shooting, I carry it in a shoulder bag large enough for the camera, a couple of lenses, a few filters, and a spare battery. Each of my other cameras has its own shoulder bag, so when I choose a camera to take out, I just grab its bag and go.</p>