What lens would you recommend for the Nikon N75

anne_marie_larrabure

Hi!

I currently have the Nikkor 28-100mm, but would like to get a lens

with a longer range. I am an amateur photographer that loves and

values pictures. My daughter is my primary subject, so quality is

very important to me, but cost is a factor. So I am looking for

something that will give me the most bang for my buck.

What do you think about the 28-200mm or the 70-300mm??? What

manufacturer would you recommend? Nikkor, Tamron, Sigma, etc.????

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really

appreciate it!

Anne-Marie

I currently own and use the 70-300 G. I have been pleased with it in general, but it is a fairly slow lens. When shooting in low light with slower ISO film, the use of a tripod often becomes necessary due to longer shutter speeds. Not exactly the ideal situation for the candids and portraits that you would most likely be taking of your daughter. However, its hard to argue with the price. You could probably find one used for less than $100 in like-new condition. If you do decide to go this route, just make sure you shoot with a lot of available light or use higher ISO film.

A little over a year ago I bought my wife the N75 in the Nikon kit form. The two lens in the kit were the 28-80G and 70- 300G. About 6 months ago the camera bag was stolen from her, the only things left was the N75 body and the 28-80G lens that she had with her at the time. About a week ago we went about to replace some of the stolen equipment namely the lens. I have had for about 3 years now the older 28-200D lens, and while I have been very pleased with its range the fact that it does not focus close has always been a hit against it. The newer 28-200G lens has had some very good things said about it including the fact that it can focus down to 1.3 feet. I in general have not been impressed with the G lenses but we purchased the 28-200G and it seems to be nicely built, although we have not taken any photos with it yet. As long as you don't mind the over lap in focal length with the lens that you already own it would make a very nice "one" lens outfit.

if you want a lens in 70-300mm

u have the following options.

1. tamron 70-300mm Ld macro ( the best optically in this focal length in your price range)

sigma APO AND DL 70-300mm ( 58mm filter size) same as tamron but A biTT low performer

tokina 80-400mm (best build quality)

nikon 70-300G most crappy

nikon 70-300ED same as tamron

I know it has not a longer range, but if you don't own it already you should really buy a 50mm f1.8 AFD. It's an excellent lens, very sharp (much sharper than any zoom) and very cheap (less than 100$). Its big aperture means that you can shoot in low-light whitout flash and blur the background for more pleasant photos of your daughter. It is an indispensable lens.<br>best regards and happy shooting,<br>Federico Sartorio

<i>So I am looking for something that will give me the most bang for my buck.</i><P>

Then you really can't go wrong with the new AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED. Although I have not used it personally, it is reportedly the BEST 28~200 that Nikon has ever made. It will be a vast improvement over your 28~100 (which has a very poor reputation), and as already noted has good close focus abilities.<BR>

<a href="http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/zoom/high-power/af_zoom28-200mmf_35-56g_if/index.htm">http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/af/zoom/high-power/af_zoom28-200mmf_35-56g_if/index.htm</a><P>

If you can afford it, go for it. And I think a 28~200 will be more useful to you than a 70~300 for pictures of your daughter.<P>

I'm not familiar with either the Tamron or Sigma options, but I would never in good conscience recommend a Sigma to anyone, given past personal experience with very poor build quality, poor customer service when something did go wrong, and questionable forward compatibility.

Anne-Marie,

I'm back.

I don't know why a good many of these fine folks are

recommending a lens that ranges from 70-300mm. That

eliminates any wide angle capability.

So, just imagine taking all your daughter's pictures from a

distance of six to a thousand feet.

Look for more versatility in a lens. I think that the 28-200mm

does just that for your "bang for the buck".