What lens to buy for shooting indoor volleyball

lisa_gundy

Yup, Lisa... it's hard to imagine the topic getting better treatment than on that last thread. The only other thing to explore would be how to approach the issue of flash, if you decide to jump off that particular aesthetic/manners cliff. But, lens-wise, I think that last thread covered it. If you're stinging from the cost of the wonderful 70-200VR, then you're going to have to consider maybe a used 80-200 f/2.8 and maybe a mono/tripod.

I shoot indoor Youth Ice Hockey. Volleyball is probably done under the same lighting intensity. So, I disagree with the last poster who suggested using the f/4 lens. You will have to use too slow a shutterspeed to make up for the difference between f/4 and f/2.8....even at ISO of 1600. You gernerally don't want to be shooting below 1/320th of a second shutterspeed to not have a mass of blurred pics. You just can't get away from the price for doing really good coverage of these indoor sports....you need a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom.......and you'll still be occasionally screeming for an f/2.0 version of it.

With club volleyball or high school volleyball, you can use a 70-200/2.8. However, on a D70, 70mm may be at time a bit too long for tight club locations. F2.8 can also be a tad slow for some club/gym location. You won't be shooting too long if you use flash. IMHO, fast short to medium prime are best for Volleyball 50,85,105 and 135. The larger aperture also help isolate the the player from back ground distraction (a lot with club).

Morgan, many photographers with much more experience and skill than you prefer the D2x. When you understand why then maybe you can go around telling us who makes the best cameras.

I have learned a lot from the internet, I come to this forum to see what else I can learn and to sometimes share what I know. You appear to come here to spread BS, and that's my opinion because I'm not arrogant enough to proclaim what is or isn't a "fact".