ltilley

I'm shooting my third wedding next month. The first two were free for freinds,

and this one is a referral and they are paying me a small amount, since I'm

still just starting out.

Since the first two were for friends and free - I just shot with the equipment

I had. Pictures came out really well... and the brides were very happy... but

as a photographer with a more critical eye, I noticed the larger group shots

weren't as sharp as I'd like.... I was shooting with my 18-55mm and have since

purchased two fixed focal length lenses (a 24 and a 55)

What is the best focal length for shooting a large group? They'll be outside

portraits mostly.

I have:

24mm 2.8- canon

50mm 1.8 - canon

18-55mm - canon

18-200mm (tamron)

I would think the 50mm? I have it in my budget to purchase another lens if need

be... but I'd prefer to spend it on a hand-held light meter.

I'm saving up for the 70-200, 2.8 - but won't have the money for that lens in

time for the wedding.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and/or answer my post.

Lisa

You haven't said what camera. If a crop camera, the 24mm would be the best for group formals. The 50mm would be too long. If a full frame camera, the 50mm would be OK, but for the larger groups, a 35mm would be better. 24mm would be a bit too wide. 28mm would be OK if you made sure not to put people on the edges.

You should investigate why you felt the 18-55mm wasn't sharp enough. It could be the lens, but then again, it could be camera shake, or focus error. Better to know for sure before shooting aagain.

yes, thanks for reminding me to mention that... it's digital, so the focal length is a bit longer... so hopefully the 24 won't have too much distortion.

As for the reason they weren't so sharp... it's the kit lens... and while I do find that it's a decent lens and can be sharp... none of my group photos were as sharp as I wanted. You're right, it could be focus error... shouldn't be camera shake since I used a tripod and flash. I guess I should look for that crisp focus I get in my fixed length lenses?

Thanks again for your advice!

One thing you might want to try, if your 18-55 is not sharp off of a tripod, is getting a cable release for your camera. This would allow you to not be in direct contact with the camera when you actually click the shutter, which would avoid any slight shaking. Your camera can still shake slightly if you press the shutter on the camera itself, especially if the shutter speed is on the long side. I guess it depends on lots of factors, but I think that may help.

The other thing is... I've noticed that my 17-85, even with IS turned on when hand-held, or with IS turned off on a tripod, is not overwhelmingly sharp either when focusing from further away, but I generally chalk it up to user error.

In any case, if I was in your situation, I would use the 24. By the lenses you listed, you have a Canon crop body, so your 24mm x 1.6 conversion factor works like a 38.4mm. In my inexperience, that sounds like a good lens to use for a group shot.

Lisa, all good advice.<br><br>

I also second the use of a cable release. If you do not have one, then use the timer function on your camera. It should alleviate that possible slight loss in clarity from your lenses.<br><br>

Don't discount the very wide lenses too - they can make for very artistic and creative group shots. I would highly recommend taking the 'safe', 'traditional' shots first and then if you still have time, switch to the widest you have and engage the group for some more 'quirky' shots. If it comes off well, you would be surprised how well received these shots will be. <br><br>

Have fun! M :)

If you are shooting groups outside in daylight, you should be able to maintain a shutter speed that will take care of any camera shake. So, that would be a non issue. If you are doing it indoors, then a tripod/cable release is in order. If you are using a crop body, the 24 is better for larger groups. The 50 would put you rather far away. If you are using a FF or film body, then as Nadine says, the 35mm would likely be better.

Looking over my general preference, I use the 24-35mm range on FF all the time for larger groups. I also keep from having anyone close to the ends. I aviod that for two reasons. One is the issue of softness and distortion, the other is the cropping to 8x10.

Things that can have an effect on the overall sharpness of the shot are the iso used (higher = softer in general), the lens qulaity (18-55 is not the sharpest lens even when you have a very good copy), the camera bodys sensor if digital, the f-stop used (should be at least f5.6 for two deep and f8 for 3 or 4 deep) and the shutter speed in relation to the focal length (this is countered if you use mono's to light the group indoors) being used.

Best, D.