What lens cant you live without?

nthomas

That would be my 70-200 2.8 L. Its a big bazooka but the images are razor sharp and have that unmistakeable eye popping color saturation. The giant 77mm front element is coated with Flourite and there are 3 UD lements on th einside which correct chromatic abberations. This means it lets in a shite load of light, and delivers it right to the auot focus sensors. It focuses fast and is sharp even wide open. It is also my first Pro level lens like this so maybe I'm just stoked and star struck, but I decided to go and buy a LowePro Trekker200 to carry it in.

Aside from that I am also fond of the 50mm1.8 MkI. I consider it a must have for all photographers.

20-35L. Car shows. I used this lens more than any other in the last couple years.

Since buying a D30 though, i might have to get something else before the summer shows start, as it isn't that wide on the D30.

Looking into a SIgma 14 f2.8.

Second most critical, 300 f2.8L for auto races and wildlife.

Great question, norman. The 17-35/2.8L is my favorite landscape and people lens, <i>and I can't live without it!!</i> I am shooting mostly people these days, and I use the "standard" 3 pro lenses: 17-35/2.8L, 28-70/2.8L, and 70-200/4.0L (instead of 70-200/2.8 because of size). I love those 3 lenses. Visual variety within a group of pics is important to me, so I use a variety of focal lengths, angles, and cameras, including rangefinders. But to avoid the "rangefinder boredom" of all normal lenses, I use my EOS gear to advantage, and I love wide angles. So the 17-35 is my fav!!

The 70-200/2.8L IS is by far my favorite lens. I enjoy shooting action shots of the kids, sporting events, etc. and it's crystal clear throughout. I also have the 16-35/2.8L and the 28-70/2.8L, both of which are very nice also, and a bit less obtrusive than the big bazooka 70-200/2.8L!

<p>Since I'm an amateur and don't make my living with my camera, I've not been able to afford, nor justify, spending $1,000 or more on a single lens. Therefore, my favorite isn't an L-series lens...at least not yet ;-).</P>

<p>My 28-135 IS is my most coveted lens. Most of my shots are outdoors--landscape and candid people pics, with an occasional environmental portrait shot. Throw in the convenience factor of the zoom and my 28-135 is hands-down my favorite, beating out even my 50mm f/1.8 mk I lens.</P>

I travel a lot.. fly almost twice everyonth and so my preferred lens is 28-135 IS.. I can just take this on all my travels and dont feel the need for anything else.. for lowlight I depend on my 50/1.8 which is so light that sometimes I forget that I am carrying it with me..

My 24-70/2.8L. I really enjoy the wide angle shots I can get out of it and still get some great close-up shots at 70mm. Plus, it doesn't get noticed as much as the monster 70-200/2.8L. That thing becomes almost like a dumbell with a body and a 2X TC attached. However, my left bicep is showing improvement. By the way, anyone else ever get the line "Are you compensating for something by having that big lens?"

Nicholas:

<p>I work at a newspaper and sometimes I get to hang out with the photographers while they're working. More than once, I've heard the male photogs brag about their big "babe magnet" (Nikon) 70-200 2.8. "Women just love these big lenses," they say.</p>

<p>What's really funny is when those same photogs use their stubby little fisheyes (which acts like a regular wide angle on thier digital Nikons) and get an almost apologetic voice when they say, "It's not the size of the lens. It's how you use it."</P>

70-200 2.8L UIS.

I have recently got one of these, and now regard it as a total miracle. (mind you, before that I had a 75-300 4-5.6, so not much competition) On a recent trip to Naples it allowed me to get low light shots that simply staggered me. A handheld shot at 1/60th. With a 2xTC on. At 400mm. Pictures of unlit murals at 70mm, inside houses in Pompeii. With the new, 3 stop, IS it is effectively an f1 70mm lens. I also find the heft of it makes it *easier* to hold steady.

I am taking travel photography mostly: so a mixture of landscape, portrait, a lot of architectural/archaeological sites.

FWIW, the other lenses I have with which to compare it are:

20mm 2.8 USM

24-70 2.8L USM

50mm 1.8 II

75-300 4-5.6

Vivitar 19-35

Vivitar 100m f3.5 Macro

24mm TS-E (rented for a trip once, but I loved it)

135 2.0L (borrowed from a friend - wonderful piece of kit)

My most prized lens is my 300 F4L IS (and TCs). Not only because it's the most expensive in my collection, but because it has given me more of the shots I'm happiest with out of my collection, and I believe that the only other lens that could have done so would be the 100-400 IS. Others would be too heavy to handhold or lack IS, and the 75-300 isn't there on quality.<p>

With the 1.4X TC (which I use a great deal), <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1192244&size=lg">this</a> is what I like to use it for.

I'd have to say my 35-80 kit lens. It's great for holding down stacks of paper and staring out the window at a tiny upside down world. Haven't used it in years for any photos though.

I'll put in a vote for the 24 f/2.8 I've got a few lenses, but it is the only one that is always in whichever camera bag I'm carrying around.

My EF 70-200 2.8 IS has been nothing but amazing for me. After the first session with it, I forgot all about how much is costs and how much it weighs. Even with the 2XII extender, it's very impressive. <a href=http://www.photo.net/photo/1196846> Here is a sample of what it can do</a><BR><BR>

<a href=http://www.photo.net/photo/1196885> And here is a shot with the 2XII, hand held at 400mm</a>

it used to be my 24-85mm F3.5-4.5,it used to live in my EOS 1,now i got the 50mm F1.8 II, this one now lives with my EOS 5,but i always have the 100-300mm USM F4.5-5.6 with my EOS 5 gear,and the 100mm USM F2 and 550 EX with my EOS 1 gear.my favorite now is me newly purchased 50mm F1.8 MK II,its just incredible. you should buy one too... pc

P.S. i shoot anything interesting ,people ,,birds,diff.animals,cars,landscape,,etc. so long as my eyes like em.never sold any photos,but have gotten paid very well doing numerous wedding ceremonies thru the years.still can't call myself pro yet tho. cheers,,,pc will try to post a shot from my EOS 5 and the new 50mm 1.8 MK II, AV mode,F5.6,flash sync 1/200,9built in flash),fuji superia 400,,of my sisters pet,taken two nights ago.