What it everyone using for a camera?

<p>Hi all-<br>

I have had 4 diffrent film cameras die on me in the last week. The SLR I have that is still holding on is the good old Canon AE-1 Program. I have been watching the market of 35mm SLR cameras. There are very few SLR cameras being made. The only thing I really see myself buying is a Nikon FM10. I seem to be having terrible camera luck lately. I am not about to give up the battle to digital. I know that I can still get a Leica, an EOS 1V, and an F6 but those are all out of my price range so I think I will pick up the FM10. I am hoping that by buying a new camera I will have one that works for a while.....What are you all doing? Is everyone out there going with used gear....It is really to bad how bad the selection is for new 35mm equipment.</p>

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Got me a nice F100 on fleabay for 100 bucks and I still use my Nikon N90s and N90 almost everyday the EM is running fine and the Kiev 6c is humming along.. Get a nice used SLR. The FM10 is a Cosina.. infact it is made in K mount and Minolta mount under different names with a little cosmetic cover.</p>

<p>With millions of used film cameras still available, there isn't a huge need for new ones. The cameras I have are used MF and LF cameras. 4 film cameras died in a week? My Kodak Junior 1A from around World War 1 still works. The main reason I've heard about a film camera acting up is when the light seals get gummy. About the same as a car with many miles on it needing a starter, battery, etc. The mechanical parts on a camera lasts longer than it's electronics. So, the older mechanical cameras will last longer than the newer ones.</p>

<p> Since you are open to Nikon cameras, you can consider the following<br>

F3/F3HP<br>

FM<br>

FM2/FM2n<br>

F90/F90x<br>

F100</p>

<p>I am using the F3HP and FM2n and love both of them. Both are well built cameras and perform very well; the latter being excellent for low light situations as it is easier to see the meter.</p>

<p>Since you already have the the Canon AE-1 Program, you may want to consider an AF camera instead and the F100 is an excellent choice.</p>

<p>This at the moment.<br>

http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2008_06_22_archive.html<br>

Buying a new FM10 would be crazy as if you buy a used F2/FM2 it will probably outlive that camera.<br>

I have some cameras from the 1930's that will outlive me, a Leica M that has done 100,000+ without service why have a new camera when for the same money as a cheap plastic you could own a reliable high quality one?<br>

just my 2¢</p>

<p>I am still using my Olympus OM1n, which I purchased back in 1982. It is currently being serviced for the first time. I also use an Olympus OM4Ti and OM3Ti which are simply wonderful. The whole of the OM system was discontinued a few years ago, but the choice available on the second hand market is pretty good.<br>

Cheers, Steve.</p>

<p>If you are a diehard film shooter, then I'd go with a nice F3 from Keh or off Ebay. It will last a lifetime and once you've used a Nikon Pro body you'll understand why they are so well liked. I can never go back.<br>

Agree, that no one is making good film cameras anymore, except for Leica - I think. As I cruise Ebay, I see less and less film cameras in real good condition. I also anticipate you will start to see a price bump in pro models like the F3, FM3a, and the newer F series camera. Expect a nice jump in the F6 market once Nikon announces its truly discontinued. I can't even find a single F6 for sale on Ebay; they get snapped up pretty quick.<br>

I love film and will shoot it till I just can't anymore. <br>

Anthony</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Buying anything involves risk and buying a used camera is no exception. I think one of the key is buying from a reliable buyer and it is not surprising that a lot of people are recommending Keh.</p>

<p>A reason why people are recommending even 20 year old cameras like the Nikon F2, F3 as opposed to the FM10 is due to its built. The F2, F3 are built like tanks and even those that have lots of brassing and dents are likely to be still working. I think many of us are sceptical on whether the FM10 is able to take tenth of that abuse.</p>

<p>But that is not to say that you should abuse your camera but these are examples of how durable the F2, F3 are. Even the Nikon FM, FM2/n, FM3a are very well built.</p>

<p>In all, these cameras will not last you a while, but a very long while.</p>

<p >Patrick,</p>

<p >I completely understand your frustration. Two years ago I acquired my F6. And I purchased it not because I really wanted it but simply because I didn’t have a choice. That is philosophy and digital manufacturers are telling us: <em>Guys, you have two options: give up your photography or switch to digital if you want something new. </em></p>

<p > </p>

<p >The film photography is very hungry for new equipment. Last scanners where released in 2003, last cameras - in 2004. It’s already almost 5 years we are sitting without new stuff. And this causes nothing but frustration. </p>

<p >Forget about Nikon and Canon – they gave up photography for good. We need other players who may take care of our needs. For example: Fuji, instead of cloning useless Nikon digital SLR bodies, might take care of new scanners. And this can be huge support for its films sells. Zeiss/Cosina duo already has a great success by relaunching their Distagon T* and Planar MF lenses for 35mm cameras with four different mounts (F, K, EF and M42). I’m pretty sure they have enough engineering and industrial power to launch the production of simple but very reliable semi-automatic bodies (something similar to Contax for instance) with same variety of mounts. And the demand for the German engineered, made in Japan cameras could be high enough. And the problem seems to me is not the demand. Those who possess licenses for popular camera mounts production just don’t want it to be happened. So, what else we can do?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And the problem seems to me is not the demand</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Roman, while I love fim and hope that there will be new film cameras from Nikon, I believe that the demand is a problem. If there is plenty of money to be made from making film cameras, there is no reason why the major camera brands would abandon the medium.</p>

<p>If the demand for film is still high, we should still be seeing the same number of film developing shops and not an increasing number of them closing. That is because there is still a huge number of working film cameras out there; enough to sustain a number of film developing shops.</p>

<p>Whether we like it or not, it is a sad reality that we are seeing the fall in the demand for film. Is it an enjoyable medium? Hell yea!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Unfortunately for film, it lacks the one element that digital has and that is instant gratification. In this age where speed is of the essence, the time needing to see the end product for film is considered as far too long. BUT, this is probably one of the endearing thing about film for me. It is hard to describe the joy I get from knowing somehow that I have bagged the shot that I wanted or from seeing my negatives as I take it out of the developing tank.</p>

<p>It has only been about 10 years since DSLRs became affordable, before that most used film. The problem lies in the fact that around 7 years ago digital became the main image taking method, loads of people jettisoned what were good film cameras to 'upgrade' to digital.<br>

The glut in those high quality S/H pro level cameras means that demand for new cameras fell, even faster than the demand for film.<br>

Canon and Nikon can't be blamed really they just want to make money selling a new camera every 3-4 years when in the film days people wouldn't replace their 3 year old F4 with an F5 because it probably worked OK.<br>

I shot with a 1985 Canon F1n until 1998 because it just worked, my Rolleiflex (1960) was used until I bought a Blad in 1992. How many here are using a Nikon D1 or Canon D30 for weddings?<br>

I think it would take more than a good ad campaign to sell large volumes of film cameras, I think it would take a seismic shift in peoples attitude to creating images, something like a virus that destroyed jpgs or a gross failure of the electronics in many popular models..</p>