What is your recommended best photography app for an iphone?

pensacolaphoto

Depends on what you mean the app to do.

I never felt a need to replace the camera app with one with more or less options than the default one. For quick editing photos on my smartphone, I use Photoshop Express, which works fine for me. There are plenty others, but I like PS Express as it's more a swiss army knife than a one trick pony.

• Like 1

No idea about iPhones, but if anybody is interested, for Android I use Open Camera, which I like a lot! Operating System is LineageOS.

Other photo related apps I have installed are Image Crop and Photo Editor. Image Crop I use occasionally, Photo Editor very rarely, but it's quite full featured. Curves are fairly important for me. On the rare occasion I do need it, it comes in very handy!

• Like 1

For me, the critical app is the camera app itself. I used 645 Pro for a few years when it came out, then switched to PureShot when the developer (jag.gr) introduced it as the next generation. These are very sophisticated apps that really let you get the most from the device. I also have SlowShutterCam for long exposures and NightCap for low light use. Moment Pro and Halide are 2 more very nice camera apps, and I'd be very happy with ProCam 5 or its successor PC6. But I'm at equilibrium with Pure for most shooting & haven't been motivated to switch.

I have the PS suite for iPhone (Express, Mix, Fix, and Lightroom CC). They're free, so I see no reason not to have them - and as a result, I use PSE a fair amount. And Snapseed is very useful, e.g. for posting on PDN because it downsizes large images.

• Like 2

I really like the camera app in the phone, but I'm also a Snapseed fan.In addition to those I have Slow Shutter, Lightroom CC, and ProCam (it lets you shoot RAW). To be honest though, since getting the XS I've mainly been using the camera app and have been experimenting with the camera itself, without any other apps. Once I learn its strengths and limitations, I'll go back to using the other apps.

After I got rid of all my digital equipment (an X1 only kept to use when I go out with my family---they have no patience for film photography), I started shooting with the iPhone more frequently. Then I installed various apps that looked more sophisticated than the native iPhone app. My experience until now is this:

1. Nothing can replace a good compact digital (let alone a more serious one): lens, pixel size, software, etc. count a lot.

2. The jpegs from the native app are better "keepers" than the RAW and TIFF from the other apps. I assume the main factor is the software used by the Apple in their app.

3. The time required to adjust the ISO, speed, etc. for a particular scene defies the readiness in smartphone photography.

4. To get a good result, post-processing on the computer is unavoidable.

Paul

Edited by apostolos_tournas
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

when I see someone with iphone, i force them to install degradr.

degradr is an application, authored by moscow based photographer pavel kosenko and a group of talented developers.

kosenko is an author of the 'alive digit' book, which is a result of his years long research on colour theories, art, and how to make digital colours better.

the book is being translated to english i believe.

currently pavel and his team are working on a newer project, called dehancer, which is much better, more intellectual, than degradr, but first it'll be available only for osx, then for ios.

for now, the option you have is degradr. degradr can be used as camera, or you can process in it photos taken with your iphone camera.

i really recommend it for shooting.

The Photographers Ephemeris: TPE helps you plan outdoor photography in natural light.

See how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth. Provides sun and moon locations throughout the day and night. Sunrise sunset etc

iphone and Android and desktop.

The Photographer's Ephemeris