what is your experience with the dell 2408WFP LCD Monitor?

If you own one, what is your experience with the Dell 2408WFP LCD Monitor?

Have you ever used it swiveled upward into portrait mode?

Have you used it in a dual monitor setup?

Are you operating it in full resolution 1920 x 1200 pixels mode?

What kind of graphics card are using with it, nVidia, ATI, Matrox?

Do you use it with a hardware color calibration device? If so, how would you

rate is color depth and black shadow depth after calibration with a Spyder brand

or Huey brand color calibration device?

Have you used your Dell in portrait for digital retouching in PS CS3? If so what

was your experience regarding detail display when working in pixel for pixel

(100%) or greater magnification of an image?

If yes to the question above, do you use a Wacom tablet when you perform

retouching operations? If so, what are your experiences and impressions while

using it together with the 2408WFP LCD display?

I have the older 2407WFP-HC. It's mechanically the same as the 2800WFP, but with a gamut not quite as wide.

I swivel it into portrait mode for music notation software (it can display all the staves of an orchestra or band score that way), but I find it's not worth the hassle for Photoshop. Pivoting requires software that Dell did not see fit to provide, but it's built in to some video card drivers. I have an older ATI card (Radeon 9800 Pro), but I updated the drivers when I got the monitor to fully support the native 1920x1200 resolution. LCD monitors should always run at native resolution for best image quality.

I use a hueyPro calibrator. Color management seems to work well with print matching, but there are the inevitable problems with consumer monitors. The monitor is too bright out of the box, but reducing the brightness lowers the dynamic range in the shadows. When the calibration process alters the video card's lookup tables to set the standard gamma, there are gaps. The result is banding in the shadows that's clearly visible on a mathematically-generated gradient. But I haven't found it noticeable on real-world images. The only real solution is a high-end monitor with 10-bit or 12-bit internal processing, which is why those monitors cost so much.

I use my monitor with CS3, though not with a Wacom tablet. The display has plenty of detail and a gamut that's a reasonable subset of Adobe RGB (the 2470WFP claims a gamut wider than Adobe RGB). The real advantage is that the full screen area is about the same size as the largest print I can make with my printer, so it gives a good approximation of the image quality of a print (but the print will have finer detail).

Wide-gamut displays do have one problem. When viewing images in Web browsers or in applications that aren't color managed, images in the sRGB color space will have exaggerated saturation. With its claimed wider gamut, this problem could be more severe on the 2408WFP. This is not a problem at all in Photoshop or other color managed applications-- color management takes care of it and fully uses the wider gamut to properly display colors that would be clipped on a conventional-gamut monitor. But some people find it annoying when they're viewing Web pages.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

<p>http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/srgb_wide_gamut.html#_1</p>

<p>I'm struggling with this on a 3008wfp - very similar. I did Spyder3 and all is wonderful, perfect, within photoshop, but then on the web and sending files to other people things go haywire. I think the above post shows exactly what I'm seeing.</p>

<p>Hey - did you guys change RGB settings to do the profile? I'm not sure if that is involved in some of these issues, but I know going from SoftProof/WindowsRGB to MonitorRGB will show an A/B of the problem.</p>