What is wrong with my film?

kim yee

Hi, all. It has been awhile since I have last shot any film. Last week, I went to Fujisan with a Horseman SW617 Pro + Ilford PanF 50.

Upon developing the 2 rolls of film I have shot, I discover that the highlight area of the film has white dots that looks like snow flakes and also some banding on the vertical side.

Please look at the 3 images:

38243540965_064a68b0bd_h.jpg

24265386457_ff63833ac8_h.jpg

38417012634_d40d4e9cd8_h.jpg

My question:

1. Is this a film problem? The film is still within its date of use.

2. Is this a development problem? Old fixer, improper loading, etc.

3. Is this a influence by cold air during the time of exposure (-6 degree)?

4. Is it because I didn't cover the cover in dark clothe resulting in banding? (30mins exposure)

I am open to any advice and I will have to practice more.

Thank you in Advance.

Any possibility the film was X-rayed? The banding is most peculiar, since it appears to be an exposure or density variation, rather than fogging. Was the film commercially processed?

The spots are unlike anything I've seen either. They look too large and regular to be particulate contamination of processing solutions. Damp storage of the film causing mould spots?

And why use 50 ISO film in conditions that demand a 30 minute (!!!!!) exposure? Tmax-100 would give equally fine grain with far less reciprocity failure.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

I don't think Ben meant full resolution, but showing the unexposed margin of the film.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this: Could the banding be a scanning artefact? Might the scanner brightness have changed throughout the scan?

In other words, can the bands be seen by eye directly on the negatives?

The spots must be present on the negative, since the Flextight scanners don't have a drum to get dirty. From the larger sample image, they certainly look like processing contamination of some sort. Were the films home or professionally processed?

Any "lab" that's responsible for such sloppy processing isn't really a lab. More like a shed staffed by chimps.

They did do a better job with the color slide. I guess they do employ chimps for the BW department. They are refunding me and giving me 10 extra rolls of free dev and scan.

What else can they do anyway......

39182668352_90cd7d37d5_k.jpg

38502678494_2f19892ce4_k.jpg

Interesting how the banding, at least from this image, seems to follow parts of the picture.

There are some banding that come from poor development technique. I am not sure yet that is what this is.

But spots, stuck to the film, usually are from poor technique.

-- glen

The black and white images show defects to my eye. The snowflakes can be from dried liquid (chemicals, rinse aid, etc.). The banding looks like agitation marks, or that there was a bend or crease in the film during development. This can happen if the film was loaded onto a reel for processing in a small tank.

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram