What is wrong with a $772 D90 from Walmart?

owen_farmer

<p>Walmart appears to be selling D90 body for about $80 less than B&H. This is supposed to include shipping. I've seen conflicting info on whether a NJ sales tax will be charged.<br>

Anyone have some experience buying a DSLR from Walmart?<br>

Also, does it matter where the camera is manufactured. China, for instance. Thanks.<br>

Owen</p>

<p>There's nothing inherently wrong with items sold by Walmart. All D90's that Nikon intended for the US market (e.g., not gray market) are created equal. (The gray market ones are the same cameras without warranties.) I don't think Walmart does gray market. They're all made in the same factories.</p>

<p>Owen -</p>

<p>Nikon manufactures all or most of their consumer DSLR's in China - so - no - that doesn't matter. </p>

<p>Walmart, Target.... They're all the same as far as buying electronics - Nikon doesn't do anything different or special for the DSLR's that they sell to them vs B and H or Adorama. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>surprise! wal-mart sells nikon!<br>

it would be the same camera as you'd buy at B&H -- not "grey" market or whatever. i don't keep tabs on sales volume, but i imagine wal-mart sells a lot of nikons.<br>

you might lose on the sales tax, however. i think that because they operate in all 50 states, wal-mart must charge sales tax.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon manufactures all or most of their consumer DSLR's in China - so - no - that doesn't matter.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am not aware that Nikon manufactures any SLRs in China, be it digital or film. They do make certain lenses such as the 10-24mm/f3.5-4.5 AF-S DX and some accessories such as the SB-600 flash in China.</p>

<p>As far as I know Nikon only makes DSLRs in Japan and Thailand. All D90 should be manufactured in their Thailand factory.</p>

<p>You probably want to double check with WalMart that their D90 is not gray market. You can also check with B&H and see whether they can match WalMart's price. Since WalMart has stored in New Jersey, I assume that they have to charge you sales tax even though you mail order.</p>

<p>Nothing wrong - same kit / body.</p>

<p>I had bought mine from Wally's online store earleir this year when they had 20% bing cashback going, they got me sale and J&R lost it... even though wally had tax for me in NJ... they beat J&R's price.</p>

<p>However, there are may people who in their own right do not buy from there... their call :)</p>

<p>Shun -</p>

<p>My mistake - I was reading quickly -</p>

<p>My guess is that the person who set the online entry up for Walmart just made an assumption and went with it and no one has bothered to call them on it.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry too much about Walmart selling counterfeit or grey-market...</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I just checked B&H. They are selling the D90 body for $789.95, but you need to add it into your "shopping cart" to see that price.</p>

<p>Nikon has this "minimum advertising price" rule. Stores are not supposed to list any price below that for each item. Some stores do not care of that rule but B&H follows it. That is why you see a higher price when you merely visit their web page. When you add it to the cart, you'll see the actual price.</p>

<p>Incidentially, once even B&H messed up and sold some gray-market Nikon DSLRs; they corrected it quickly. But for stores that do not specialize in photo equipment, I would double check. Whether double checking really helps or not I cannot say for sure. For example, a lot of people got gray D80 bodies from newegg.com a few years ago, although NewEgg is reliable for computer hardware.</p>

<p>Actually in every case I know about, even the gray market cameras are the same. It's just that you can't get warranty work from the US Nikon establishment.</p>

<p>In more than 50 years of buying new cameras, I have never yet needed any warranty service (Although Nikon did once replace an FB-8 case for me out of "warranty" when its plastic cover went to pieces on me).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's just that you can't get warranty work from the US Nikon establishment.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, it is more than that. Nikon USA simply will not (knowingly) fix any gray-market Nikon products, under warranty or not. For example, if you accidentally drop your camera and it requires repair, you are out of luck even though you are willing to pay for repair. If it is something e.g. Authorized Photo Service or other 3rd-party repair shop can repair, you are still fine. In case it is something only Nikon USA can fix or has parts, it can be an issues.</p>

<p>Moreover, if you try to sell it in the future, any educated buyer will check whether it is gray or not for those same reasons.</p>

<P>

I would take a chance and buy gray if you could somehow save 30% or more, but if the difference is small, you need to decide whether it is worthwhile. B&H does not sell any gray Nikon DSLRs, except that once they messed up internally.

</P>

<p>WOW, what a price drop. I paid only a little less for my refurb. That said, yes, you should NEVER buy a gray market camera, they will NOT fix it for love or money. And yes, if you are buying from Wal-Mart you WILL be required to pay sales tax.</p>

<p>There are a couple of factors. You might notice that the US dollar has finally appreciated a bit against the yen. If that trend continues, you'll gradually see some rebates. Additionally, like the D700, the D90 was announced in the summer of 2008. The two-year mark is approaching soon. Regradless of whether there will be a successor, any "old" DSLR will have to be cheaper to stay competitive.</p>

<p>In an honest business the sales tax evasion is moot.</p>

<p>To the amateur here skirting state sales taxes seems to be the norm; since it is mentioned so much.</p>

<p>Actually if one buys a camera from an out of state vendor most all states require one to pay your local sales tax; ie use tax.</p>

<p>Your ARE required to pay this; but most here do not; ie tax evasion.</p>

<p>Thus one probably should not really brag about speeding; robbing banks; stealing; tax evasion on a public forum; who knows who is lurking.</p>

<p>Plus one has competitors; ex-employees; local stores that can squeal on your business if one boasts of using bootleg software; not paying sales taxes; overcharging folks; submitting false invoices to local governments; counterfeiting; ie any non legit ; illegal business practice.</p>

<p>Nikon USA simply will not (knowingly) fix any gray-market Nikon products, under warranty or not.<br>

Some people complain of this but Nikon's marketing and pricing depends on regional sales and conditions. If they undertake marketing of, servicing or doing anything with their cameras out of region, they subject themselves to the out of region rules. That will translate into blended pricing additional responsibility and costs which will likely lead to higher prices and so on.</p>

<p>Call up a NYC camera order line and talk to them about your fine art photos of cats; soccer; sunsets etc. See how many seconds/minutes they will tolerate this handholding.</p>

<p>A Walmart employee has to deal with your fine fart talk about photography; your endless questions about stuff. A NYC dealer will not spend 1/2 hour talking about cat and fine fart stuff; so you go to a local place. Neither a NYC dealer or Walmart is going to spend gobs of time on you about the cameras bowels deep on the menu; ie fine fart modes; your feelings <br /> <br /><br /> the trouble is there are NOT ANY EXPERT LOCAL CAMERA STORES ANYMORE!<br /> Thus unless one has a time machine; there is *NO* local place for most of us to buy cameras; FILLED with EXPERTS.<br /> that died off 1/4 century ago. <br /> <br /><br /> The mom and pop camera stores; folks here have killed off. Folks here did the weekend warrior gig; you bought the item from Mom&Pop Local camera store; used it for two days then returned it. They you bought the item out of state to save some money; and evade state taxes too. Then when you want to understand how to change the battery or change a cameras mode; you run to the nipple; ie mom&pop camera, Now you cry and whine because their is often no local camera outfit to abuse; use as a doorstop; get free rentals. <br /> <br /><br /> The fact today is many of us have *no local expert camera stores anymore* ; and one really cannot expect a local Walmart ; Office Depot; Best Buy to be versed about a cameras menu details; or expect a NYC dealer to hold your hand for 1/2 hour about the basics either.<br /> <br /><br /> To find anybody versed about details anymore about cameras requires one live in a giant city like NYC or have a lone remaining local MOM& POP were one has to pay more. <br /> <br /><br /> Johns comment of:<br /> <br /><br /> "Ask the person at the camera counter to tell you about the features of the camera. Will they be able to help you after the purchase when you have questions? Then ask yourself what's wrong with buying this camera from Walmart. Price does NOT equal value." <br /> seems like a Rip Van Winkle comment;<br /> <br /><br /> most places TODAY have had no local camera stores were somebody knows something about cameras for about 10 to 20 years; some places 25 years.</p>

<p>We have a local independent camera store here in Northern Virginia. Ace Photo in Ashburn. They're hands on, helpful, know their products, and yes, in many cases charge more than you'd pay a NY dealer for the same item. But there's value in being able to see and hold an expensive piece of equipment before purchasing it.</p>

<p>I will be going to either B&H ($789.95) or Adorama ($769.95). These are the "in cart" prices. I don't know why Eric saw a lower price at B&H. I will also be buying a Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX lens (USA warranty). I am assuming that I don't need an extended warranty on the lens but that it is a good idea for the camera. B&H offers a 3 year SageMax plan for $128, while Adorama offers a 3 year Mack warranty for $40. I expect that the latter would be sufficient. Thanks for the help.<br>

Owen </p>

<p>Yes, yes, I did somewhat understate the liability of buying gray market. <strong>I very definitely agree with the strictures about it not being worth the problems unless you are saving a wad of cash. </strong></p>

<p>As it turns out, the few occasions where I have needed service have been non-warranty, and the maker-approved repairs I have got have been satisfactory, so it wouldn't have mattered in those cases if the equipment were (<em>subjunctive case</em>) gray.<br /> Actually, probably the only way these days to buy "gray" <strong>and</strong> get significant dollar savings is to purchase directly from Asia, becoming the importer yourself. This is feasible in some cases precisely because of the artificial low setting of the Yuan in relation to the US Dollar.</p>

<p>In buying US gray imports in the last several years (with poor exchange rates etc), the difference in price is often only a few dollars and it is not really worth it.</p>

<p>I don't think any "extended warranty" is really worth what it costs. Electronic gear fails early or it goes on practically forever and much these days is purely electronic.</p>