What is the weight capacity of a Bogen 3030/a with a Bogen 3039 Head?

bobpeters

What is the weight capacity of a Bogen 3030/a with a Bogen 3039 head? Is it sturdy enough to handle a 4x5 camera? I got one for about $15.00 to replace my Kodak Digital Camera Tripod, as the Kodak tripod isn't stable with my Busch Pressman Model C on it and too short for it to focus with the ground glass while standing, and the Kodak is hard to level with a larger camera on it, like a No, 2 Brownie Model F, or an Iskra. Also the crank for the center column on the Kodak no longer engages with the center column, though it can be pulled up by hand. I've been lucky for the Kodak to last this long, as a read the reviews long after I got it, and people had problems with plastic parts breaking.

The Bogen 3030/a with a Bogen 3039 head is the perfect combination for me and the Pressman Model C, as it puts the Ground Glass at eye level.

Also does anybody know if there is a Manfrotto number for the Bogen 3030/a? I think that the Bogen 3039 head is the same thing as the Manfrotto 229.

You will be fine. I have a Busch C also, and it only weighs in at about 3 pounds with typical lenses. The larger D comes in at a little more than 5 pounds--and wooden framed Graflex boxes are a pound or so more. Be sure to use a cable release though to minimize any vibration at slower shutter speeds. Edited by PapaTango

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Thanks for all the responses. I did weigh it today, and it did come in at a little over 3 lbs. I have a couple cable releases, a short one that came with the Diana F+ Deluxe kit, and a longer one that I got for long exposures, as the short one wasn't comfortable to use on my Kodak Tripod.

Supporting a load when level is one thing, tilted is another. A Sinar or Graflex 4x5 has an high center of gravity. It takes a sturdy head to hold even 15 degrees off plumb, and the 3039 head is likely to be found wanting.

The tripod leg set is probably okay for the prospective load, but may not do well in an outside environment. The real criteria is how well it handles vibration. A 4x5 has a large aerodynamic cross section, making it very vulnerable to wind, or even a light breeze. The same situation occurs with a small format camera and a long lens, because the lens magnifies any vibration. Closeups too become problematic. Carbon fiber is much stiffer than aluminum of the same size.

As a practical matter, I find an aluminum Gitzo #2 tripod marginally useful with a 300 mm lens. The tripod I use most often is a carbon fiber Gitzo #3, rated at 55 lbs capacity. With a view camera, I would wait for a still day. Nothing much will help if there is wind. A carbon fiber Gitzo #2 is about as stiff, or stiffer than an aluminum Bitzo #3, and has a higher damping factor.