What is the scale on my Toyo 45A?

david_simonds

Friends, there is a scale on the bed of my Toyo 45A. There are measure marks at

regular intervals. There are two parallel sets of marks that are offset and each of a

diffirent color. There are some number designations like 150 and 200 as well. Is

this some sort of infinity focus setting for particular lenses. Tx. David

There should be two sets of numbers there. They are the same "scale" but one set of numbers is larger than the other. They are used for setting the location of the front standard. When you set your lens in place, you set the standard at the number of the focal length, then lock it down. The large numbers are used when you extend the back out. Be sure to remember to compensate for recessed lensboards and telephoto lenses!

• 9 years later...
There should be two sets of numbers there. They are the same "scale" but one set of numbers is larger than the other. They are used for setting the location of the front standard. When you set your lens in place, you set the standard at the number of the focal length, then lock it down. The large numbers are used when you extend the back out. Be sure to remember to compensate for recessed lensboards and telephoto lenses!

Hi, I'd like to clarify this scale thing on the 45A. I'm a bit puzzled, because when I set the front standard to 150mm white scale with my 150 lens mounted, I cannot focus... Whereas, if I set the front standard to 150mm on the red scale everything is fine. Note that my back is not extended... What am I doing wrong ?