what is the ONE lens you can't live without at a wedding?

brittany_r._dunks

<p>It would help, Brittany, if you mentioned the format of camera in question - because the gotta-have lens for a "full-frame" body is going to be different than the gotta-have lens for a smaller format, like APS-C. It will also depend on how the body handles higher ISO shooting. Different bodies have a big role to play in lens prioritizing.</p>

<p>Brittany,</p>

<p>I shoot almost exclusively with primes, so I would really hate to go to a wedding with just ONE lens. I typically shoot with two bodies, each with a different focal-length prime, and I usually change lenses at least once during the day. The lenses I use depend on the circumstances—what part of the day it is, how close I expect to be able to get to the subjects, etc. </p>

<p>The lenses I use most often are, in roughly this order:</p>

<ul>

<li>Sigma 28 f/1.8</li>

<li>Pentax 70 f/2.4</li>

<li>Pentax 40 f/2.8</li>

<li>Sigma 105 f/2.8</li>

<li>Pentax 21 f/3.5</li>

<li>Pentax 50 f/1.4</li>

<li>Pentax 35 f/2.0</li>

<li>Sigma 10-20</li>

</ul>

<p>That's with the 1.5x crop factor on my Pentax bodies, in other words, that 28 = 42 in full-frame terms, or close to "normal" field of view. </p>

<p>If I had to shoot a wedding with just one wedding (unthinkable, but for the sake of the game) I'd pick either the 28 or the 40, I think, probably the 28 f/1.8.</p>

<p>Back when I was using zooms, I remember thinking that, in a pinch, I could probably shoot an entire wedding with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I think that's still true. </p>

<p>Will</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Back when I was using zooms, I remember thinking that, in a pinch, I could probably shoot an entire wedding with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I think that's still true.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I had to I could do a whole wedding with my 24-70/2.8 (or a full frame body). Might not be my best work, but I could get the images I needed to. To reinforce that fact, I often brought a Rebel with a 17-55/2.8 IS as a "backup to the backup". Not the top of the line, but would give me a much needed paddle if I found myself up the proverbial "s--t creek".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Okay, well then the question is: What is the one lens <strong><em>you can't live without and on what body are you using it</em></strong>?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>APS-C format = 24/1.4<br>

135 format = 35/1.4<br>

645 format - 80/leaf</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm just looking to see what people <strong><em>prefer to use the most</em></strong>:</p>

</blockquote>

<p>APS-C format = 85/1.8<br>

135 format = 135/2<br>

645 format - 80/leaf.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If there is indeed a lens that people can't live without, the devil's advocate in me asks if everybody naming such a specific lens brings an identical backup lens, too. :)</p>

<p>I don't have one lens that I absolutely can't live without. I have primes that cover from 24/1.4 to 135/2 and a zoom from 24-105/4. Camera bodies are full 35mm frame and 1.3x crop. I wouldn't go to a wedding without the combination.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Eric makes a good point, and I don't have identical copies of every lens, but I do have a range of both primes and zooms that can cover a wedding or other event quite well.<br>

I shoot a pair of Nikon D300s. My <strong><em>can't-live-without</em></strong> lens is my AF-S 50mm f/1.4. I've shot an entire wedding with this one lens before.</p>

<p>On the other hand, my most used lens seems to be my AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. It's on one body nearly 100% of the time. On the other body is usually either my 50mm f/1.4 or a 70-200mm f/2.8 depending on the situation.</p>

<p>All Full frame:<br>

25-105mm F4L<br>

70-200mm F2.8L IS<br>

85mm F1.8</p>

<p>which one is my favourite..... well that's easy, the 70-200! If I could only use one lens it would have to be the 24-105 as a great all rounder, but that said I usually have about 8 lenses in my bag at each wedding so I am very well covered.</p>

<p>A lens may have a little advantage in some cases but essentially, every lens can be replaced by some other lenses. So no lens there is that we can't live without. We always have a lot of choices. Like if you don't have the 50mm 1.4, the 50mm 1.8 is not much less, or the 1.2 may even be better</p>

<p>In fact, some of us may consider a lens as a "must-have" and a few months later, he/she moves on to some thing else. (The King is dead. Long live the King)</p>

<p>On "full frame" (read film) my "can't live without" was the 50mm f1.8. On half frame digital it has become the 35mm f1.8.<br>

Although I have other lenses and would love to have more, if push came to shove I could shoot practically anything with just that one simple prime, it just requires a little more thought, and walking back and forth.<br>

I know that I am probably going to get roasted by all the fanboys of lens X or Y, but hey, everybody is different! And you did ask...</p>

<p>I'd agree with Josh, even though I'm not a fan of zooms, especially midrange zooms. </p>

<p>But then, I'm not a fan of the shots that I bring a 24-70 for either: processionals, document signing, cake cutting, and bouquet toss ... when the client wants/demands/epects them. Fast primes are what I prefer along with un-staged candid photography.</p>

<p>The 24-70 is also a single lens back-up to most any prime I'm using ... just in case. So I don't have to bring two 24s, 35s, 50s or 85s.</p>

<p>I use FF cameras.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>now that i have a full frame camera (5d), i find my 70-200 2.8 a lot more useful. it was just too long most of the times on the 40d. so the lens i enjoy the most is my 70-200 on the 5d, but if i had to take only one lens with me it would be the 17-55 2.8 on my 40d. </p>