what is the Hexanon 28/2.8 worth?

Proper comparison is probably with the VC 28/3.5, not the Ultron 28/1.9, which is more than a stop faster.

The Hexanon lenses are very highly rated by Puts (but he didn't test the 28, but Photodo gives it a 4.2, slightly better than the Elmarit). But the VC 28/3.5 is much more compact (the most compact VC lens and one of the most compact lenses ever made for RF cameras), only half-odd stop slower, inexpensive, extremely good optically, probably the equal of the Hexanon. Check it out, especially is size is important to you.

I don't think the v/c 28/3.5 is in the same league, optically speaking ... that's why I thought that if the ultron can be had for 450$ new, how much is the hexanon worth, used? Both are more or less the same size ... Could also be interesting to compare it with the elmarit, used, to put things into perspective. These thoughts are driven by the fact I know somebody willing to sell his hexanon, at 700 dollars ...

I just saw this on another forum - another member from Japan posted these prices he was able to find in Japan (for NEW lenses): </p>

=== Quote: </p> <i>

M-Hexanon 28/2.8 = 79,590 Yen </p>

M-Hexanon 35/2 = 72,240 Yen </p>

M-Hexanon 50/2 = 50,400 Yen </p> </i>

=== End quote </p>

</p>

According to Yahoo currency converter, that's currently about $716 for NEW 28/2.8 lens... in Japan.</p>

Denis

They haven't been offered on ebay for awhile--I think the last one went for $600 or so. $700 is a bit high unless absolutely MINT and the original hood and case is included. Check KEH and donchatterton.com, (give Don a call as he doesn't update his site very often). Amazing build quality, as good or better than Leica, and far surpases that of V/C. Nice saturated images, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

I have it and like it. I do not have any other 28 to compare it to, so I cannot help you on that part.

When new it was the most expensive of all regular M-Hexanon lenses (28, 35, 50 and 90). A used price higher than the other regular M-Hexanon lenses should therefore seem appropriate.

Second hand prices for these lenses seem to be climbing as fewer and fewer are offered for sale.

When (if?) Konica starts to export these lenses outside Japan again, second hand prices will most likely come down a bit. I guess this will happen if a digital Hexar is ever introduced.

Just to expand on Cameron's reference to the photodo ratings. The photodo score is comparable to both the Elmarit 28 & the Contax G 28/2.8. However, what was impressive about the photodo results for this lens is that it was better than both the Elmarit & the Contax at full aperture. The photodo score represents an average of the results for f/4 & f/8; it does not include results at full aperture, but it does report them separately. Not only was the Konica better at f/2.8, but it was also better at f/4. Many lenses with high scores from photodo are deceptive because performance can drop off markedly at full aperture. One strength of Leica lenses is that they do not. In this case, Konica outdid the comparable Leica lens, which is a very good lens.

I recently purchased a "like new" 28/2.8 Hexanon-M w/caps, but no shade from George Ury for $550. Optically, it's design is practically a clone of the current 28 Elmarit based one an optical diagram I found on the lens. Mechanically, it's build quality appears as good as a Leica and a bit better than the CV 28/3.5 in terms of fit and finish on a side by side comparison. In fairness though, the CV 28/2.8 is no slouch but tolerances do appear a bit tighter on the Leica and Konica lenses.

I own one and really like it. It is close to leica in terms of build quality and it is very impressive optically. I think it is worth $700 if it includes the shade. Here's a picture of my daughter taken last week at the Calgary Zoo with my Hexanon 28/2.8.<div>00BEvk-21995984.jpg.ffbb5e8ce735e561c250e727fca0cd91.jpg</div>