What is the fundamental reason that people photograph?

<p>The vast majority of photographs taken are snapshots therefore for the vast majority they are fundamentally made as an aid to memory. Beyond that there are as many reasons as there are photographers. As an example some photographers have this thing for derrieres. Really big derrieres.</p>

<p>"What is the fundamental reason that people photograph?"</p>

<p>I can't speak for "people" but I'll answer for me:</p>

<p>The main reason that I photograph is to get beyond reason. In my non-bird composites, it is often to lampoon reason -- in a reasonable way.<br>

.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of the word is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to." -- <em>Zhuangzi</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>[Yes, he's the guy who did the butterfly-dream thing. If butterflies can shoot digital, I'm all in.]</p>

<p>Fundamental: Basic reason, primary reason, original reason, elementary reason, deep-seated reason, underlying reason—take your pick. Each has a slightly different connotation but most work within the context of the question.</p>

<p><em>Expressing myself,</em> is that an answer, then? And when that is done, forgetting the expressions, in line with Master Zhuangz, who definitely is right (Julie). Pure meditation! Images come out of it, but they are ephemera to the act.<br>

<br /> Definition of <strong>Ephemera</strong> : any transitory written or printed matter not meant to be retained or preserved.</p>

Most people take photos in order to document, share, and remember events and occasions. In the last few years, the emphasis on

sharing has expanded geometrically, as wireless digital technology now enables nearly immediate transmission images.

People who think of themselves as "photographers" might have other reasons for taking photos - artistic expression, making a living, etc. That said, the person in the street sharing images from their camera phone has become the de facto photographer of the Information Age.

<p>Yes of course the answer to the question of fundamental reasons for "people" to shoot photos, would be for memories and for sharing. In the old days, people wrote frequent and long letters for sharing, and diaries for remembering. They might also have <a href="http://www.paintmap.com/uploads/3065.jpg">added a drawing</a> <a href="http://www.paintmap.com/uploads/3065.jpg">o</a><a href="http://www.paintmap.com/uploads/3065.jpg">r two </a>.</p>

<p>I found that after I started taking pictures a few years ago that I experienced the world differently. I noticed things that I wouldn't have noticed before. I began not only looking at things, but looking for things. Taking pictures enriches my living.That's why I take pictures. ed</p>

<p>Memories and sharing.</p>

<p>Perhaps that is true on a basic level, but a response like Winogrand's gets closer to what is the magic of photography or any other art form (read if you wish "form of expression", if the term "art form"sounds too precious to you), whether photography, sculpting or painting. And the art is much more in the doing than in the diffusion (i.e., memories and sharing, exhibiting, among other such things).</p>

<p>An elaboration on my earlier "getting beyond reason" post:<br>

.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>" ... a longing for something that was mere inches away."</p>

<p>" ... the older I get, the more I treasure the sprawling periods of incomprehension, the not knowing, the lands beyond Google, the places in which you must be immersed to comprehend."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>.</p>

<p>

</p>