What is the Differrence between the Nikon D and G lenses

jadedmonkeys

The only real difference is that the G lenses have no aperture adjustment as the D and all other lenses have. You adjust the aperture with the command wheel on the body. If you were to use the lens on a body without a command wheel you will be restricted to program and shutter priority modes. These modes are something that you shouldn't or wouldn't be using very much so the lens essentially becomes pretty useless. <p>

Oh, did I mention that most of the G lenses are pretty crummy? If you can swing it I always recommend the 28-105, 3.5-4.5. It's a real D lens and is a lot better than that 28-80. You will see the difference in sharpness.

If you don't own and never intend to own a fully manual Nikon camera body, the G lenses with out the aperture ring on the lens are fine.

Kit lenses (ones packaged with cameras) tend to be lower cost narrower aperture lenses. Most of the G models tend fit into this category. Nothing wrong with them if you stop down to f/5.6 to f/11 apertures, if that is all you can afford.

Another alternative is to go with a 50mm f/1.8 AFD lens. One of the least expensive lenses and also one of the best quality Nikkor lenses made. This will force you to zoom with your feet. A good 50mm lens is one that you probably won't outgrow (yes you'll add other focal lengths). The 28-80 G on the other hand is one you'll eventually replace if you stay interested and finances improve.

Mainly the only difference is G lenses have no aperture ring. With the up and up and coming 70-200 2.8 AFS VR G it will be the first pro G lens. The 24-85 3.5-4.5 AFS G lens will be a step in the direction of G only too I suspect. Most likely Nikon will abandon the aperture ring (most of them on current lenses are crummy anyhow) entirely.

Mark,

First of all, good choice to go for an N80. It's a great camera with lot of features for beginer and advanced amature.

About the D lens and G lens; D lens refers to AF lens with the "D chip" that provides subject-distance to the camera and HAS apature ring on the lens. G lens refers to a newer type. G lens DOES NOT have apature ring on the lens. You control the aperture by the wheel on the N80. G lens also HAS "D chip" inside and also provides subject-distance to the camera. Most G lenses are cheap because it cost less to produce (case made from lot of plastic parts). Nikon started to make G lenses as economical lenses, but recently we saw some high performance lenses are also in the G form. The draw back of the G lens is you can not control the aperture when mounted on older camera.

Hope this helps

I would not get a this G lens for these reasons:

(1) You are a beginner, you might find that you prefer to use the aperture ring.

(2) The particular G lens you are looking at is considered to be "crummy" by Nikon enthusiasts. You will not be able to sell it, and will feel that you have wasted your money.

(3) If you must have a zoom, the 28-105 D lens is a much better lens, not much more expensive, and has resale value.

(4) If you don't need a zoom, the 50mm 1.8D is a superior lens. Although it will not let you zoom in and out, this might be a better thing in the long run if your goal is learn photography. Buy it used for less than the crummy G lens you are looking at.

<i>(1) You are a beginner, you might find that you prefer to use the aperture ring. </i>

<P>That's not an option on the current Nikon amateur cameras (F55, F65, F80) - you must use the command wheel and lock the aperture ring at the minimum aperture. Consequently the aperture ring is superfluous on these cameras.

Paul are you sure? I'm pretty sure an N80 allows you to use an aperture ring with AF lenses that have them....... It won't meter with older manual lenses, but I believe that is the only problem the N80 has with lenses...

I will qualify the above statement by saying I do NOT have an N80.

Does anyone know why the aperture control found it's way onto the lense? I have an old Zeiss Ikon Super B SLR and it has the aperture control, speed control, and focus all integrated onto the body. Lenses for it are just lenses, not many-element "lense systems." I assume this is part of the answer but would appreciate if some kind old-timer can explain it. Earlier comment in this post was that Pro G type lenses may be next. If it's clear why the aperture found it's way onto the lense, it may be easier to understand what if anything we lose if it comes off...

The aperture ring is in the lens because that makes the mechanical system for adjusting the aperture simpler. Ideally, the aperture blades would reside near the front of the lens, but automatic aperture in SLRs made it necessary to position the aperture near the rear end of the lens. With electrical aperture control, basically the control and the aperture can be basically anywhere, but the lenses haven't changed that much yet.

The reason many G lenses are cheap is nothing to do with "G" itself, it is just the fact that they're low end lenses, designed for the holiday snapshooter. The 28-105D is more expensive than the 28-80G because the former has better ergonomics, build quality, optics, range and so on. The main contributors to cost are optical and mechanical quality, but volume is a factor, too.

• 4 weeks later...
With the N80, it doesn't matter if you have an aperture ring or not, because you always have to have it in the locked position, for the camera to work properly. The G lenses appear to be lighter and most of them have plastic mounts, so I imagine they are cheaper and not quite as solid as the D lenses.

• 2 months later...

I use the N80 and indeed control of the f-stop is done with the camera rings, even if the lens in question has the traditional aperture ring (you just see "EE" on the display). I also have an FE2 and for that camera regulate aperture with the ring.

Having said this and read other responses, certain AF (non-G) Nikon lenses come in a "D" and a non-D veriety. For example had a 50mm, 1.4 AF lens and exchanged it for a 50mm, 1.4 AF-D lens. Both had the aperture ring on the lens.

Is the only difference between the two (and other Nikon AF lenses with and without the "D") that one has the distance-subject feature useful for metering/flash photography or is there some other difference (optics/sharpness of image)?

I have essentially asked this same question in my posting of today re: the 105, 2.8 micro lens, but this thread seems to be where this question is discussed.

Thanks,

Eric