What is the difference between calibrated monitors.

I have read a lot about color spaces and monitor calibration, and I think I understand most of it now. One more

issue bothers me, and I would appreciate clarification.

My understanding is that calibrating a monitor adjusts its brightness, contrast, gamma, and colors, so that it

displays a photo the same way as another calibrated monitor. If that is the case, a photo should look the same

(to our eyes) on any calibrated monitor. So my question is: why is there such a large price difference among

various monitors? Is it just the gamut of colors they can display? If I am sticking to sRGB only (I am happy with

it), there does not not seem to be an advantage of getting an expensive LCD.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Every monitor model has differing capabilities. Even when calibrated, many of them will look substantially different. Especially in the 'whiteness' of their white balance.

The more expensive *photo-dedicated* monitors will have larger color spaces (redder reds, bluer blues, greener greens), and a more-accurate white. They will be consistent from corner to corner.

The very expensive 'Adobe RGB' capable monitors should only be purchased by those who will primarily use the machine for photo editing, as windows and mac are not adapted to displaying in that very-wide color space.

I'm one of those silly guys that went and bought an Eizo 24" monitor, purportedly, the best on the market. I did that due to constant issues with color management, so I wanted to remove the equipment problem, and leave it just to the human problem, i.e., me!

I have an LG and Samsung monitor also hooked up, and I must say, I can barely look at them anymore, as I find the Eizo image so pleasing and, well, accurate. All my monitors all calibrated, but the difference is so huge as to be depressing. I've since disconnected these monitors and only look at the Eizo now.

So, it's a bit perplexing to calibrate and think you've hit a baseline that will ensure everyone sees your pics as you want them to, when the last mile, the monitor, destroys that, to a degree. But everything is relative, so it depends how anal you are here (I am anal).

In my case, the highest value in buying a good monitor and calibrating it has been the consistency I have in my prints. I virtually never have to print twice now, as I know exactly what I'll get, whereas I was having trouble with my LG and Samsung monitors. This is only my experience, and I understand there could have been a human factor issue here too!

Ziggy

Price may be the best guide, disregarding bells and whistles like sound and movie/game-speed. All else being equal, slower updates are better for photography than faster ones. Ultra-high contrast ratios are counter-productive, achieved by using variable backlight. Most LCDs have too much contrast out of the box to be photographically useful.

Most consumer-grade LCD monitors have a 6 bit/channel processor. 8-bit color is emulated by "dithering" adjacent colors. Some monitors do a better job of this emulation than others. A typical 23" LCD with a 6 bit processor will cost under $400. Monitors in this category designated for "professional graphic" use have better controls and settings, and do a respectable job emulating the "in between" colors. You will notice dithering effects as posterization in large, low-contrast areas like faces and open sky.

The next step up would have an 8 bit processor. An 8 bit, 23 inch LCD monitor will cost $1000 or more. The controls are much more sophisticated than for lesser machines. The Eizo is at the top of the class at present, and some models have a 12 bit processor and built-in calibration device.

Calibration is not absolute, but is only accurate to 50 or 100 degrees K, which constitutes a noticeable change (demonstrated in Lightroom). Luminosity is another factor which affects the appearance of the image, as well as the ambient room light and color. As with most things photographic, it is better to be consistent than "right", whatever "right" is.

Hi Ziggy,

I often wonder what my images look like on other peoples monitors.I have a nice Dell 22" lcd after having a had a

CRT for ages and not wanting to change it because I heard CRT`s were the best...maybe at one time but no longer.

My Dell lcd has superb contrast and rich colour.I always check its tone against the "test bars" that many photo sites

show,where the tone goes from solid black to solid white,and my screen shows all the gradations...I cannot know but

my feeling is that cheaper screens may not.

Thanks everyone so far. I should have probably added to my original question that number one reason I would get a new LCD is to be able to prepare a photo for printing, such that the print will look exactly the same as on the monitor (I am able to do that with my current CRT, but it's dying).

Ziggy, I am curious: if you order a print from an sRGB printer, does it look the way it looks on your Eizo or the other LCDs that you like less? If the print does not look as good as on the Eizo, then how do you prepare a photo for an accurate print?

Thanks again. I am learning a lot here.

Momo,

There is no printer in existence that matches the sRGB color space exactly. sRGB is a color space derived from averaging the

color response measurements from a variety of CRT displays from the mid '90's.

The Epson line of printers can usually print the largest amounts of the sRGB color space using default settings except for

highly saturated colors and some blues. Minilab printers like the Noritsu and Frontier vary widely in color rendering sRGB gray

densities and some hues and saturation levels. Neutrals can look warm or cool, sRGB fleshtones can look ruddy maroonish,

brownish, yellow orangish and so on.

A calibrated monitor regardless of its quality level does not control how an sRGB image prints. Color management settings and

accurate printer profiles do this. Calibrated displays and their accompanied profiles only function as an accurate mirror to the

RGB numbers in the image.