What is the best Travel Zoom Lens????

ted_de_la_garza

Ted -- I agree with Jim. The Canon 28-135 IS is a good choice since it's smaller and lighter than the 28-70L (and new 24-70L). The IS helps you capture shots that you might otherwise miss. It also gives you more reach than the two L lenses I mentioned. Oh yeah, it's also a lot less expensive. :-)

If the 28-135 IS is more expensive that you'd like, you can always look at the 28-105mm. It's another good performer, although it lacks IS and a little bit of reach in comparision. On the flip side, it's lighter than the 28-135 IS lens, so that could be a benefit while travelling.

Enjoy your travels and be sure to post some photos when you return!

Just a quick follow-up. My recommendations were based on the Canon EOS system. You didn't mention which camera body (or brand) you have, so I just gave some ideas for Canon. Even if you have another brand, the focal length recommendations are still applicable, though the specs will vary from brand to brand.

Good luck!

Hi Ted, I purchased the Sigma 28-200 ASPH Macro (62mm filter) a few months ago just for a light weight hiking one lens setup thinking it would be only a so so lens. Not so. Whenever I get prints back, I am amazed how good it is for the money, ($230 at B&H). I have a couple of dozen lenses and it has become a favorite because of convenience and small size and lightweight. Sharp, bright, contrasty and close focusing to boot, I think it is the best value for the money of all my lenses and is the perfect lens for your situation.

Don't let the name brand fanatics tell you it can't be that good because mine is. I can't recommend it enough.

Mike Wilke

For me, there is no best most practical single zoom lens. One body + one lens = no photos if you experience any breakdowns.

My travel kit contains Nikon FM2n & FE bodies and 24, 50 & 135mm lenses (oh, and an Olympus Stylus Epic in my pocket too). Since there's no such thing as a 24-135/2.8 zoom (1.8 @ 50mm), I'll stick with the individual lenses. If there were such a zoom lens, it would weigh more than the 3 primes anyway...

While most of my lenses are primes, I do think that zooms are fine for travel. That means less switching when attempting to get the best composition, and less likelyhood of loss. My minimum lens choice would be a 24-85 and a 70-210 (or approximate), but not necessarily the f/2.8 apertures as they become a bit heavy. I wouldn't suggest trying to get this focal length range in one lens, however as there are too many optical compromises in the ones that I have seen. Your choice will be dependent on your subjects and what you can reasonably carry.

Alex

• 6 months later...