what is the best flash(speedlite) for canon 300d?(i need a answer)

natalie_booker

Im studying photography with the intention of becoming professional.

I have been using the 300D for 12mths but may upgrade in a few

months. What is my best option for a flash? I hear the 430 is too

basic but also hear of problems associated with underexposure with

the 580.. Any suggestions?

"I hear the 430 is too basic but also hear of problems associated with underexposure with

the 580.. Any suggestions?"

The 430EX has most of the features of the 580EX save master ability for wireless, so it's

far from basic. Perhaps you confused it with the 420EX?

All flash metering systems have idiocycrasies and are far from perfect. With a little

intelligence and practice you can learn these idiocycrasies and counter them with manual

overrides. I used the 420EX with my 10D for 3 years and rarely got a bad flash exposure.

Of course if I used it mindlessly on full auto it would have overexposed by +2/3 EV 90% of

the time. Pretty predictable and easy to fix with FEC. I'm sure you can learn to do the same

with any combo.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Any exposure problems asociated with the 580EX would be the same on the 430EX, since the flash exposure is determined by the camera body.

It appears the Canon deliberatly sets up their DSLRs to underexpose a bit with flash to keep the highlights from blowing out as this is the most common complaint you hear. However, a lot of people report no exposure problems and some people report a slight overexposure with flash. Sounds like either an adjustment problem or different people's different expectations. In any case dialing in Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) is easy enough on Canon's other DSLRs. Some people rutinely set it at +1 and leave it there unless they have to adjust for something specific.

You would have to add one of the firmware hacks (free) to get FEC on the 300D body though. That's easy enough to do, and they add several other nice features. I hated some things about my 300D until I upgraded the firmware to the Wasia hack. The latest Undutchables hack is probably the most advanced now.

The 300D has some problems when it comes to flash though. Flash exposures with the 300D and 10D, using E-TTL metering (Canon EX series Speedlites and other compatibles), are commonly reported to be very irratic and unreliable. Mine was simply frustrating, and I gave up using the Canon Speedlite with it. I started using an old fashioned autoflash (Sunpak 555, in my case), since that was far more reliable. The newer Canon DSLRs use E-TTL II flash metering and are considerably more reliable, consistent, and accurate.

The 580EX is a great flash, but not inexpensive. The 430EX is hardly too basic. It has manual controls and other bells and whistles that you may never even use. Unless you need the top of the line or a high voltage port it's a good choice.

But I wouldn't get either for the 300D. They are just too frustrating to use with it. But if you are upgrading the camera any time soon either flash would be great.

Puppy Face is one of those that regularly reports a slight overexposure with flash. More commonly people report a slight underexposure. He has also played with his camera a lot and has figured out how to make E-TTL flash metering work for him. It can be done, but I think autoflash is easier on these two models.

Hi Natalie, I haven`t found any problems with the 430EX, bought one as a backup and slave for the 550`s, its well built fast recycling and just as accurate if not more so on 20d`s. FEC and manual CF`s certainly not basic, a good start for pro work if you are staying with canon.I`m just wating for an omnibounce and will use it more as it is quite compact.

good luck

Jim Strutz says,

>It can be done, but I think autoflash is easier on these two models.

As far as I know none of the Canon flashes support auto flash metering which is normally used to describe flashes that do their own light metering via a light sensor on the flash. Some of the third party E-TTL compatible flashes support auto flash. The advantage of auto flash is consistency whereas E-TTL (II) can throw the occasional curve ball. I still use E-TTL II metering on my 20D and 550EX and it seems to be fine. Auto flash requires more careful compensation to get proper exposures.

Any of the 420EX, 430EX, 550EX, or 580EX would do. The 430EX would be my choice. I have the 550EX and need the additional power for wildlife shots but for a general purpose flash the more compact 430EX is more attractive.

Alistair Windsor says,

>As far as I know none of the Canon flashes support auto flash metering...

Alistair is right, the Canon Speedlites don't do autoflash. I was refering to the two Canon camera models; 300D and 10D, which I think are better used with autoflash instead of E-TTL. I switched back to E-TTL II when I changed to the 20D. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Let's break this down simply:

The body does the metering. The 300D and 10D use ETTL metering.

The 20D, 30D, and XT (350D) use ETTL-II metering. To oversimplify: ETTL is highly focus point biased, which requires the "FEL dance" to make work properly. ETTL-II is not focus point biased, which makes it a bit easier to use.

Just google "FEL Dance" to read posts on how to get the most out of the 300D ETTL system.

Next: The flash -> Since metering is done by the body, ALL EX flash units (including the popup) will expose the subject identically. To break it down simply:

220EX: No swivel, no tilt, therefore waste of time.

380EX: Tilt but no swivel. Will not support all AF points. Almost a waste of time. I think this has been discontinued ?

420EX: Swivel and Tilt. Will support all AF points. Great flash unit. BUT: Does not have FEC control on the flash. The rebel does not have FEC on the body UNLESS install the "hack". If you have the "hack", the 420EX is a wonderful flash. STRONGLY recommended. This flash has been discontinued.

430EX: Swivel and Tilt. For an extra $100, Adds manual exposure controls. Adds FEC on the flash unit. Will support all AF points. Has some funky ETTL-II specific features which are IRRELEVANT for most users. And especially irrelevant for a 300D. Outside of a studio, I would think you would never need manual flash controls. I STRONGLY recommend this flash if you can't find a 420EX.

550EX: Like the 430EX, but Bigger. MUCH more powerful. Will NOT support the top and bottom AF points. Does not have the fancy ETTL-II features. You buy this flash for the extra power. Unless you shoot outdoors, or bounce off HIGH (18') ceilings: You don't need this much power. Good flash. Bit of overkill. Discontinued.

580EX: Like the 430EX, but with the power of the 550EX. Smaller than the 580EX. You buy this unit for the extra power. Also. . .manual flash controls (which you won't use) are in 21 steps over 7 stops (as opposed to the 7 steps over 7 stops like the 430EX and 550EX).

Note: MultiFlash: The 550EX and 580EX can be both "master units" and slave units. The 430EX and 420EX can be "slave units" only. I used to think this is the Bee's knees. Now I find it too cumbersome for casual shooting, and rarely used. (shadow control, hot spot control, exposure control are too complex to get correct *quickly* when doing casual shooting).

RECOMMENDATION: Install the Hack, and get a 420EX. If you can't do this: Buy a 430EX.

>> What is my best option for a flash?

580EX.

>> I hear the 430 is too basic

You heard wrong.

>> also hear of problems associated with underexposure with the 580

Problems which are not related to user errors or mechanical malfunctions? Where have you heard this? BTW, I have it and experienced no such problems.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I had both the DREBEL (Wasia Hacked) and the 420EX. They worked perfectly together. <p>

Before that I used a very old VIVITAR 283 and, to be honest, except for the swivel and FEC there was no perceivable difference (to me at least). The vivtar was surprisingly accurate for exposures. This confirms what was mentioned above about using an automatic flash. <p>I still have the vivitar as it has a pc terminal that allows me to use it as an optical slave with my studio strobe and a peanut.<p>If you are sticking with the Rebel for a while, get a used or refurbed 420ex and save a lot over the 430.<p> if you do go pro you'll probably want to then skip the 430 when you upgrade and go straight to the 580 or whatever is "Best."

Everyone has given you an opinion, and noone has asked you what you'll be doing with the flash! I'm not sure how someone can tell you what flash to buy if they don't know what you're doing with it.

The 580 has a little more power than the 430. So, if guide number is important, then the 580 is might be a little better. If you're doing close up macro work, for example, then both are probably too big, and you should get a ring flash or off camera unit. If keeping the flash smaller and lighter is important to you, because you're walking around with it around your neck, then the 580 is not your choice. If using a multi flash system is important to you, then you might want the 580 because it can act as a wireless master, and the 430 can't. etc etc etc

As far as exposure goes, has nothing to do with the flash itself, it's about camera metering, photographer, and personal taste.

Good luck.