What is NAS?

lake_0571

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to qualify for help you need to have more bodies than your two hands & two feet can operate at one time. Also helps if you have 3 or more versions of a 50mm lens, multiples of the same extension tubes, more flashes than connecting cords (minus slaves), more than one issue of the Nikon compendium ...

Also - if you wake up the next morning & are not sure why all does not seem right ... perhaps you bid on too many film bargains on ebay last night & it's very important to wait until the third cup of coffee before you look to see if you won them all ...

Lastly - there is never buyers remorse - all is good :)

Lucky for me I have two sons and one daughter I can either give items to or always sell if need be. Waiting for my other daughter to get caught in the mix:)

Best part of NAS whether you are male or female is that the next morning you don't wonder "what was I thinking?" You simply smile & are glad that you don't suffer from LAS which would be the Leica version:)

If you ever feel a need to be cured then start craving a digital back for a medium format camera - does not always work but it's a start!

You have NAS if:<p>

1)You have to have all the variants of something to be satisfied that you've got the best one.<p>If you don't have all the variants of something, you wonder if you're missing out. Nikon wouldn't make that variant if it weren't so great, would they?<p>e.g.: I've tried out the 45mm f/2.8 P, 50mm f/1.2, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8AI, 50mm f/1.8 Series E, 55mm f/2.8 Micro, 60mm f/2.8 Micro. Yet, I've never tried out the 50mm f/2. Wonder what that's like? Hmmmmm....<p>2) You start to have items sent to your work, or a PO box so that the supreme boss (aka spouse) won't find out you've spent more money on camera gear.<p>3) You start sneaking all the credit card statements out of the mail so she doesn't see all the "Paypal" items in there.<p>4) B&H knows you by name.<p>Unfortunately, she found out. So, then I had a run of NLS (Nikon Liquidation Syndrome), and now I can't buy any more :-(

The 7 levels of NAS:

(Level 1)

You've set your mind on a Nikkor 50/1.8 AFD, but ended up buying that *and* the 50/1.4 AFD, because you heard it was better.

(Level 2)

Graduating from Level 1, you've sold the 50/1.8 AFD, because you heard it was made in China. Shortly after, you picked up the 50/1.8 AF version, which was made in Japan.

(Level 3)

Realizing your error, you buy the 50/1.8 AFD (Chinese version), just so you could compare it against your 50/1.8 AF version. You end up keeping both.

(Level 4)

You're starting to wonder how the AF Nikkors stack against the manual focus AIS bretherns. You buy the 50/1.4 AIS, and 50/1.8 AIS derivatives. You keep all 4 50's.

(Level 5)

Just to be sure, you add the 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AI and 50/2 AI, because they can be bought for peanuts. The 45/2.8P, 55 Micro Nikkors (3.5 and 2.8 version), 60/2.8 AFD join the arsenal.

(Level 6)

You got to have faster glass. You first purchase the 50/1.2, then the 55/1.2, and then the 58/1.2 Noct Nikkor. You spend sleepless nights photographing brick walls, Financial Times double spreads, and USAF resolution charts. You contemplate which filters, hoods, and close up accessories best complement each lens.

(Level 7)

You apply all earlier levels to any Nikkor out there, F-mount to Large format.

Don't stop looking for a 70-180. I got mine in the first month that B&H had them and they really are worth looking for. I think reasonable quality examples are now selling at around 150% of the new price. Mine is NOT for sale.

Regards, Ross

<I>Another good news is that photographers rarely get infected.</I>

<P>

I certainly feel that is the case. I suppose no one is a pure photographer or a pure camera collector, but those who have NAS are more collectors than photographers. I for one never worry about minute differences among various 50mm lenses or 85mm lenses. In fact, in 28 years of using Nikon cameras, I have never owned any 50mm Nikkor lens, or, for that matter, any prime between 36 to 104mm.

For my kinda photography, any 50mm does the trick. But I went to buy some film at a local store, saw this (clean glass) 55mm/3.5 comp. ap. lens for $30 Canadian bucks...what can I do? 30 bucks man! I had to get that one...u call that NAS?<div>00E8Cz-26418284.jpg.c3b7c88b6eabf6c9e19cd90ed2d39e89.jpg</div>

>"How virtuous, Shun. Now that you and Pawel have made a broad generalization based on no facts, we can all go home. "

Conni, isn't this all about making general statements like that and having some fun with it!? One thing internet can be pretty bad at is gathering real facts. :)