What is meant by the term "long-lens panoramic?"

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by crowdspotting, May 31, 2007.

1. I hope this isn't a silly question, but exactly what is meant by the term "long-
    lens panoramic?"

I'm smart enough to figure out that the term probably describes using a longer
    lens vs. wider lens with a pano camera.

But why?

I've seen people write about it like is something special, but I can't
    visualize the effect, except perhaps compressing distance between subjects.

Any "long-lens panoramic" photographers out there who could enlighten me?

Thanks!

Jeff

2. Jeff. Not a silly question. Most think of panorama images as being made with wide-angle lenses, because they present a "wide view" of a landscape. Natural enough. With a lens of long focal length, they still produce a panoramic view, but of a section of the horizon (for example) which is far away. Most high quality Panorama-format cameras offer a choice of lenses. One example is the Linhof Technorama, for which Linhof supplies focal lengths of 72, 90 and 180mm lenses. http://www.linhof.de/english/ Another superb camera system is found at: http://www.gilde-kamera.de/ (The Gilde cameras also feature tilt-shift movements, in addition to a stereo version.) Make sure you see the photo Galleries at these sites.

Cheers, Kevin.

3. Using the 90mm lens on a Hasselblad XPan is another example of long-lens panorama. This is useful for eliminating unwanted swaths of sky and foreground when the interesting composition is a ways out there.

4. I also remember well the work of a geologist (years ago), who using a Technorama with normal to longer lens, recorded rock formations at distance of about ten meters. The photography department at the same college produced stunning darkroom prints B/W just over a meter long. The only other details I remember were that it was Kodak Technical Pan film, and the detail was breathtaking. So the Panorama camera doesn't even have to be for distant views.