What is Fuji 1600-PR?

<p>I posted a similar question recently and received no replies. I've also contacted Fuji in the UK and they don't know the answers.</p>

<p>I have some black and white 35mm film dating from the late '80s/early '90s which bears the markings 'Fuji 1600-PR'. Yes, I know this is 1600 ISO film. It has separately been suggested to me that the PR stood/stands for 'press' or 'professional'. Do you know what it stands for? Is this film the same as Neopan 1600? Also, the film identifier is followed by a three digit number, which is different on each roll of film. Might this give an indication of coating dates?</p>

<p>Is there anyone out there who knows their Fuji better than Fuji does?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>I posted a similar question recently and received no replies. I've also contacted Fuji in the UK and they don't know the answers.</p>

<p>I have some black and white 35mm film dating from the late '80s/early '90s which bears the markings 'Fuji 1600-PR'. Yes, I know this is 1600 ISO film. It has separately been suggested to me that the PR stood/stands for 'press' or 'professional'. Do you know what it stands for? Is this film the same as Neopan 1600? Also, the film identifier is followed by a three digit number, which is different on each roll of film. Might this give an indication of coating dates?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

As far as I remember this was delineated a Press film. And like Neopan it was designed for lower light levels where a flash might not be possible for use and was specifically designed for automated machine processing. I am familiar with the Versamat processor as my only machine processor which I have used for quick Black and White film processing. The bottom line for most of these films was that Neopan or Press film generally were developed through a machine at the same times even with a variance in the ASA/ISO rating. Therefore one could generally tank or machine process different speed films at the same speed through the machine without having to change settings. Press film is definitely the older and Neopan a more recent emulsion. These films were also designed for push-processing without a significant gain in grain (although already quite noticeable). But for press work high resolution images were not really needed low resolution screen printing on newsprint. On a side note, Kodak made a 2475 Recording film that was also high speed; 2400 ISO/ASA, but it was made on an extremely thin base. I am not sure why the thin base (could be base diffraction and silver clumping or bleeding with the higher speeds when combined with a standard thickness base)? This film curled even when dried straight. Could be stored in the original film containers for safe keeping (almost had to be). The danger with any of these high speed films was that they were easily fogged. Should not be loaded in any thing resembling bright light or close to it.

Edited by Phil_Light

<p>Thank you.</p>

One additional note on the three digit markings. I am not sure what these delineate, but I would suspect that you are likely correct in that it refers to emulsion/coating dates. But that is merely a guess. Do they seem to be in a reasonable ball park to corroborate the date theory?

• 4 years later...

Some years later I know but I just found this thread because there was one roll of film I shot in Ireland years ago that I love the look of. Full of contrast and very grainy. Turns out it's Fuji 1600-PR. Has this been discontinued ? Is there an equivalent ? Here's an example of what I'm hoping to re-create

006_3.thumb.jpg.59d4ceeeda5ed3f47a5cba030c599c10.jpg

Was it maybe this film

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4325d1c697d7c75f40069fe31b738ce1.jpg

Edited by jimnorwood