What is electronic output film?

skip_a

I was browsing in a camera store today and I found a few 50 sheet

boxes of 8x10 Kodak 64T Electronic Output Film in the clearance bin.

The stuff is out of date by two or three years, if I recall

correctly, and it has been stored at room temperature for at least

the last two or three months that it has been sitting in the

clearance bin.

The boxes are marked $50 each, but I was told I could have them for

$20 each. I didn't buy any of it because I don't really know what it

is used for.

Does anyone know what this film is used for? Can it be used like

nornmal E6 process transparency film? Adorama sells current stocks

of this exact same film in 50 sheet boxes for $360 each, so even

though this film is quite old and has been stored at room temperature

for a while, I figure it might be worth taking a $20 chance on it if

it can be used as a camera original film.

These film are E6 alright, they are formulated to be used in Electronic Slide Printer which is the reverse of film scanner. The scanner take a film frame and scan it to digital format, the digital film printer take a digital image and convert it into an analog record ( the film ).

Usually these film had high linearity in spectral sensitivities and exhibit higher contrast, less actual resolution, but more saturated colors. They can of course be used in camera just like normal film.

For $20.00 I don't suppose you can go wrong, but the attributes of 64T which set it apart and make it for me the finest (in fact, for me the only acceptable) color film made are, in order of importance: 1) low contrast 2) long scale 3) perfectly (i.e. not saturated) realistic color balance. I personally wouldn't give a plugged nickel for any chrome which negated any of those features at all. I wouldn't want to waste the time shooting it when I could be using real EPY.

Well, I ended up buying two 50 sheet boxes of the 8x10 Kodak 64T Electronic Output film, and five 50 sheet boxes of 8x10 Kodak 64T EPY 6118 film, all for just $10 per box. Some of this film expired in 2000, some in 2002. But for $10 per box, I figured it would be worth trying out.

I haven't tried the Electronic Output film yet. I'll probably do that this weekend. But I've already tested the EPY 6118 that expierd in 2000, and it seems perfectly fine. It looks great, stunning even, on the light box. The colors all seem accurate to my untrained eye. Unfortunately, I don't have any fresh film to compare it with, and in truth, I've never used LF transparency film before, so I really don't know what to look for.

If this were black and white film, I could easily tell if it were too old by the degree of base fog after developing. What are the indicators that color transparency film, EPY 6118 in particular, has gone bad? This film is simply gorgeous.

• 2 years later...