What is best way to store/carry filters?

dan_hall4

I just invested in my first filter, a Hoya DMC Pro 1 77mm. After spending $200

on a filter, it made me wonder how people store/carry them in order to protect

them. It came in a plastic box. Is that suitable for storing the filter or do I

need something else? What do you guys use? Any thoughts most appreciated.

For filters I anticipate using on a given day, last year 3 inch square ziplock bags and then put them all in a vest pocket or outer pocket of my camera day bag. Keeps them from getting scratched but makes them quickly accessible. I put them back in the plastic box at the end of the day. Then again, I've never spent more than $65 on a filter!

Hello Dan, I just keep them in their boxes in my padded camera bag.

Although a filter feels expensive at the time one buys it, compared with the overall cost of the camera equipment they are not too costly at all.

In my case, they are there in the bag with 2 bodies and a handful of Ls. They are not going to be treated with any special favours, but I think they are well looked after.

Hope this helps.

P

I use Filter Stack Cap, great to carry several filters in a small size. Just mount them together and set the Filter Stack Cap in the neds. You need a Filter Stack Cap for every filter size that you have.

<p>

B&H have these for example; <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/101709-REG/General_Brand__72mm_Filter_Stack_Cap.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/101709-REG/General_Brand__72mm_Filter_Stack_Cap.html</a>.

<p>

BR,<br>

Nicke

I use "filter caps", which come as a matched-pair of slim, metal discs. One has external threads to screw into the front of a filter, and the other has internal threads to receive a filter's external threads. It's a compact and relatively bomb-proof way to store and carry one or more filters.<div>00O0ik-40978784.jpg.94ae5a52a320e32b3e4d97e689f8f461.jpg</div>

HI Dan,

I have never spent that much on a filter, so that may change my outlook, but I use Optech filter packs. When I need them, I need them immediately. Otherwise, they will not be used at all. In a studio, this is a different ballgame, so I guess that it depends on what you are shooting.

I am looking for something durable to throw in a waterproof backpack while I walk through the woods. Something that will protect the CP I have now and the addition of a few ND filters. I want something that is tough. My interest is outdoor photography.

The "filter caps" picture that James have attached, have the same function as the the version I have linked to. Only minor differences in apperence. The "filter caps" can store as many filters as you want. The kit will only be longer the more filters that you connect.

Please not that all filters must have a filter thread in both ends, i.e., B+W slim filters does not have a filter thread in the front.

That looks like a nice secure way to carry filters as long as they are all threaded on the front. But most the thin models I have been looking at are not threaded on the front. Otherwise, looks like a good way to protect filters. I have a CP and want to add 2-3 ND filters. Hate to buy them based on being threaded in the front.

In the days of mostly film shooting, when I would carry at least 6-8 filters for every thread size, filter caps were the best way to go, although I often carried 2 or 3 filter folders as well. Now that my filter needs are considerably less, I happily use the manufacturer supplied cases.

I use the Tamrac Filter Pack. However, I use it on a belt. If I were to put it in a bag where it might get smashed, etc., I might use the hard plastic cases instead. The way I use filters (weddings), if I need one, I need it at my fingertips. If you have time, the hard cases or the filter stack caps are better.

http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm

Dan,

I've used all the methods described above. Here are my findings:

The better quality filters (B+W, Hoya, Heliopan) come in rigid plastic boxes. These boxes are fine for carrying around the filters, provided that you don't mind the extra bulk of the boxes.

I've used a Tamrac filter pouch and hated it. While it was convenient for carrying many filters, it left a lot of lint on the filters. So every time I needed to use a filter I would have to clean it. Annoying. I used a Loewpro filter pouch that was made from ballistic nylon (no padding). It didn't leave any lint but also didn't provide much protection for the filters.

Currently, I use filter stack caps. They are very convenient from a space/weight stand point. Combined they take up about the same amount of space as a filter (probably slightly less) and they don't weigh much. But you do have to unscrew the filters from each other to use them. In that respect the caps are a bit more inconvenient to use. I think in terms of protecting the filters, nothing beats the stack caps.

I rarely use filters these days. I have a UV and polarizer in my filter stack. So I can live with the slight inconvenience of the stack caps. I do appreciate the small form factor and relatively light weight of that solution.

Tom