What is best value camera for Landscape this time ?

tuan_do1

I've just sold my Nikon D750 after so many recall for this model come out.

Frankly, I'm happy with D750 but I'm afraid of the lost value for this model if I keep it for another year.

The new D850 will be on shelf in a few day but actually I'm not interested in this upgrade. I casually shoot Landscape/ Seascape/ Cityscape and night scape as my hobby.

What is the best value camera for this type of photography this time ? Should I buy a new one or used one ? and Why I should pick it ?

Thank you for your advice !

If you want to replace lenses too, maybe ponder Pentax K1? The body is nice priced in the US offers IBIS and 4shot sensorshifting option for great color. There are just a few lenses and they are sometimes pricier than the same Tamron for Canikon.

I guess if you are a Nikon shooter an old D800 E could be best.

I translate "best value?" questions to: "What is the cheapest tool to cut my cake?" And this always means older cameras, bought with cosmetic flaws and reasonably few clicks. - You don't need a new shutter; just enough to last about 6 years.

Any camera (with supply chain that permits it to be "in stock") will loose a lot of value as soon as you take it out of the store.

Sorry for criticizing your attitude:

I'm happy with D750 but I'm afraid of the lost value for this model if I keep it for another year.

I know I am a fool when I buy a new camera. But if I am convinced to want one I feel married to it, write every cent I spent on it off and will try to shoot it till it falls apart. <- I tend to bring 2, to be less bothered about that fact.

Value loss is unavoidable. That's why you should wager as low as your comfort zone permits. Get megapixels and dynamic range according to your needs and don't bother if the Joneses next door have more.

I casually shoot Landscape/ Seascape/ Cityscape and night scape as my hobby.
might mean you could be content with a Fuji too. If you don't need all the D750's MP I'd recommend an used X-E1. How about a Sigma? - Both aren't great for anything else than the landscapes you mentioned. - D750 is more of an allrounder.

It depends on how much you shoot night scapes requiring clean low light images and how large you intend to print.

When you say 'best value' I assume you don't want to spend $6.5K for a D5, which would give you the best low light performance from a Nikon DSLR. I'm also assuming that you're willing to buy a used body.

If low light is a major need and 16mp is good enough, then get the Df.

If low light is a 'sometime' need, then IMHO, the D800/D800e will be the best value in the coming weeks and months as their owners upgrade to the D850.

Frankly, if you have a model of the D750 that is not affected by any recall, just use it till it falls apart. It's a very good camera. Whether or not it will hold value, is a complete guess, plus all DSLRs loose so much value anyway that selling it of is always going to hurt. I wouldn't make it part of any decision to buy or sell.

Out of the 2 you list, I'd take the D810, as it's newer. But it always depends a lot on the state it is in. 10k shots of pure abuse versus 23k shots but with care and good maintenance would still make me lean to the one with more shots, so to speak. So if you can visually inspect them, it's better. If you cannot, for landscapes at this moment, at a restricted budget, the D610 makes a lot of sense.

Between those 2 bodies, there is no doubt that the D810 is a better camera than the D800e,

In terms of shutter count, the difference between 10k and 23k is negligible, strictly by the numbers. But, as already mentioned, how they were used matters most. If you are able to actually see and play with both of the bodies, then you can tell for yourself. Assuming they are both in excellent condition, I'd take the D810, even at $400 more.

. . . What is the best value camera for this type of photography this time ?

For you, the "best value" is the camera that you are already using, because:

> you stated that you are happy with it

> you stated that you casually shoot

> mostly all second hand purchases are with no warrantee

> you know the history and usage of the camera that you have, whereas for any second hand purchase you do not

Loosely equating "lost value" (of your D750) - you could sell it now for what? - $800~1200USD, after which you are considering buying a second hand camera of unknown history and usage for equal or more money and quite likely that second hand camera will "devalue" at the same rate as the D750 you have at the moment.

Cameras are rarely 'investments' like: Equities; Stocks; Real Estate; Gold etc - they are more usually costs associated with "tools".

Such "tools "might be for solely recreational activity, hence one's own pleasure.

If your "pleasure" is simply defined by: 'making nice photos', then that want is already satisfied, you have stated as much, here: "Frankly, I'm happy with D750". In this case there is no need to spend any time or effort looking for and buying a replacement.

On the other hand - your "pleasure" might be defined by: 'making nice photos AND having more upmarket or more modern gear'.

That's fine if that is what floats your boat: but my point is, I think it would be beneficial if you identified the core reason for asking this question and if it is that you get a buzz out of owning a more modern bit of kit and you are willing to take the risk of buying second hand, then get the D810 - as other have said - it is the newer.

WW

Frankly, I'm happy with D750 but I'm afraid of the lost value for this model if I keep it for another year.

If in your situation, I would not get rid of the D750 just because it will lose value. So what? Why do you need to sell it after a year at that lower value? Why not use it as long as it lasts? On the other hand, another $2000 camera that you buy today may lose even more value! So, it's not any better.

Coming to your question, if your D750 doesn't have enough resolution for landscapes or you have another such reason, then it is a good idea to think about replacing it.

As others have pointed out, D810 is probably Nikon's best landscape camera as of yesterday (did D850 come out today?)

All the best.

Which one is more reasonable to go this time ?

For me, I'm looking forward to a used D810 at a reasonable price from someone who just has to buy the latest and greatest D850. Otherwise, I'm sorry you dumped your D750, since it remains an excellent, very high performing camera. I would not go back to a D800, as the hi ISO and other features are now quite dated, if still very functional. I don't think there is enough of a savings between the D800/800e and a D810 to warrant going to the older body. Please note, this is my own opinion only, and not based on personal use of any of these camera bodies. I'm very happy for the time being with my D7100, but simply looking forward to an affordable opportunity to move into a D810 for landscapes.

I've just sold my Nikon D750 after so many recall for this model come out.

Sorry, my error. I did not accurately read the first sentence, probably because your second made me think you still owned the D750.

I understand now that you have already sold your D750 because of your general concerns about the recall.

If you have sold the D750, then please disregard most of my previous Post #8. (I think Wouter and satya might have misread your Opening Post, too).

My comment that the D810 on the face of it is your better choice, still stands.

Sorry again for my reading error.

WW

No problem at all, but thank you all for sharing your opinion.

My ex-D750 is from grey market and I lost only 2% resale after 1.5 years :D. Maybe you don't believe, but it is true. Lucky me to sell it on the D850's official release date =)).

Sometimes I ask myself why taking risk buying used camera instead of keeping it, but my camera is like without warranty, so same for buying a used one. With many recalls of model, who would take risk to buy it as my serial is listed :(.

However, with experience gain, we may be able to detect flaws from used camera and get a good used one, maybe :).

Finally, I decided to hold my heart down a few weeks more waiting for price drop of new or used D810 .

. . . My ex-D750 is from grey market and I lost only 2% resale after 1.5 years :D. Maybe you don't believe, but it is true. Sometimes I ask myself why taking risk buying used camera instead of keeping it, but my camera is like without warranty, so same for buying a used one . . .

Yes, I do believe you and I do understand your logic. When we owned our studios, much of the gear that we used was bought second hand and when we later sold that gear we lost very little and sometimes made a small profit.

Good luck with waiting for the price drop - I think that is a good idea.

WW

Frankly, if you have a model of the D750 that is not affected by any recall, just use it till it falls apart.

Absolutely right!

Cameras are not like peaches. They do not rot as they get older. The more electronics, the less the problems of "wearing out".

I speak as one who has over 200 cameras and innumerable lenses, almost all of which are still working. I still have my old film Nikons, for example.

Cameras are not like peaches. They do not rot as they get older

Unless they're Nikon D1 series cameras :)

(in all seriousness, I have two D1Hs and I'm trying desperately to get them working. Both power on, focus, and meter but I'm having issues getting them to recognize that a card is empty and getting the card to format in-camera. One did work briefly, but that's as far as I've been able to get. I'm beginning to suspect that the internal back-up battery is dead, but replacing it looks to be quite the adventure).

Absolutely right!

Cameras are not like peaches. They do not rot as they get older. The more electronics, the less the problems of "wearing out".

I speak as one who has over 200 cameras and innumerable lenses, almost all of which are still working. e.

"200 cameras and innumerable lenses" .... yeah, I've seen the hoarder reality shows !

I think this depends on your budget. I just bought my first FX body, a D800 and it's great. Does anything I ask of it. I'm staring hard at a D4 too and will probably buy that. At the same time I am still using my D200 bodies for a lot of things. I've not been limited by their age or design features and enjoy using them often. Don't worry about these things holding their financial value, they won't. I even keep my D1X and D100 charged and ready. Can't get much for them and they work quite well. It's your call but a D800 will work well in the things you are shooting. So will the 810 and 850. There is really no bad answer here.

Rick H.

• 3 weeks later...
Certainly, the D750 will take quite decent landscapes. I just spent two days with that and DF shooting landscapes in Western Montana. I have posted several today. I think that given the light, a good eye, and reasonable technique any quality camera lens combination, from any manufacturer can deliver fine landscape results. Some spectacular special effects from Mother Nature are always a bonus factor.
  • Like 1

You think?

I doubt this Swedish Army Leica will appreciate much although it is much appreciated:

[ATTACH=full]1212991[/ATTACH]

I meant something with lots of real gold.

I have never seen camera as investment, which supposed to appreciate in price with time. It is just lovely piece of equipment delivering joy, or just tool for work, pick what is wright for you.