What is appropriate forum to let members know I am no longer a member?

johncrosley

<p>Because of inability to use a credit card, being abroad, a new Social Security withholding on my meager pension for a 1968 school loan that has TWICE been repaid, (suddenly and without notice) and the necessity of eating being foremost, my Photo.net subscription has expired and I am unable to renew.</p>

<p>That means I am unable to use almost any PN feature, however much I would like to be here into my ninth year and beyond as a paying member, and however much I'd like to continue posting the 100 or so photos of mine currently lined up for critique posting. </p>

<p>(I'm blocked from posting and am hugely 'overlimit'.</p>

<p>What forum is appropriate to let members know that I no longer can be reached through my Photo.net e-mail address and the messaging service on Photo.net? </p>

<p>These two PN services which now are apparently shut down for me (as is the ability to post new photos because of nonpayment of membership) have long been a major way for my many wonderful friends as members to communicate with me here on Photo.net. </p>

<p>(I can't rate enough photos or write enough critiques [GREAT PHOTO!] to earn the capability to make a dent into my approx 100 ready-to-post photos plus my huge output.</p>

<p>I would contact a friend to ask for a 'gift subscription' but cannot communicate with those I regard as friends who might do so because of a 'server error' message I get that I believe really is just the Photo.net e-mail service being turned off to me.</p>

<p>So, Josh and company, reluctantly, what is the appropriate forum for me to post in to let members here know they can no longer use the PN e-mail and messaging to communicate with me?</p>

<p>(This is posted with no joy; I would love to stay a paying member.)</p>

<p>(I did a search on this question and could not find a relevant answer.)</p>

<p>john<br>

John (Crosley)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>Although I am no longer a paying member my PN messaging system continues to function, I received and sent a message yesterday. There is a limit of I believe 10 messages for non members so you will have to keep deleting older messages, both sent and received, to keep the total below ten.</p>

<p>Gord</p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>Being a subscriber or not has nothing to do with the messaging system. Knowing your writing style, if you are getting error messages when trying to send a message, I would guess that you are being too verbose. </p>

<p>Try sending a short message of a few lines and see if it goes through.</p>

<p>Well Josh, I tried short and long messages and got a 'server error' message over a long time.<br /> In any case 'I AM AGAIN A PAID UP MEMBER' thanks to the generosity of member Samrat Bose.<br /> I will try the messaging service anon.<br /> I've made my first post since being restored to paid status:<br /> http://www.photo.net/photo/16036652\<br /> Happy Fourth.<br /> It is for me.<br /> john<br /> John (Crosley)<br /> (oh, and if a message is 'too long' it would be helpful to get a message saying so or a letter limit countdown as is found in many message services.)</p>

<p>Anthea Scotte<br>

Thank you for your generous offer.<br>

<br />I am happy to write it no longer is needed; an old friend and steady contributor stepped in promptly with a good spirit.</p>

<p>This is one good reason I very much like the Photo.net community.</p>

<p>Thank you again.</p>

<p>john<br>

John (Crosley)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Josh, I agree with John that it would be great if a specific error message could be generated that let users know that their internal message is being rejected because of too many words. I've had several people write me messages saying they had written extensive messages and then lost their hard work due to the error message and didn't know why. I explained it to them at that point, but of course it was too late. A note at the top of the message box stating the limiting number of words or characters would be really helpful, even if it's too hard to program in a countdown. Maybe this is all too difficult a programming task, and it is still a really nice feature. Often, the problem is that the system defaults to copying the original message into a response (as with many email programs -- which is a great idea to maintain the continuity of a dialogue) and people don't realize that they could save characters by deleting out previous responses in the same message.</p>

<p>For lengthier messages and dialogues, my PN mates and I generally prefer emails but there are some anonymity reasons and ease-of-use reasons why the messaging system is such a desirable and useful one.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p><strong>John</strong>.... really glad to have you back with us. <strong>Anthea</strong>..... your generous offer is appreciated. <strong>William</strong>....... your quick financial response has got John up and running again... thank you, I enjoy his diatribes.<br>

Regards to all</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For Grayham Allott:</p>

<p>I'm glad you like my writing. You may want to rethink one word you use: 'diatribe'.</p>

<p>I'm afraid that 'diatribe' is just the wrong word, though, and 'essay' may be a better word, or you may want to make another try and make your own definition. . . . . I'm pretty easy about that.</p>

<p>Here's a pair of definitions of 'diatribe' from an on-line dictionary. </p>

<p>1 'a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing. 2. ironic or satirical criticism.'</p>

<p>In general, what I write is neither bitter nor abusive, and although from time to time it may have some irony and satire, neither is a general course, and it would be overreaching to describe what I write as 'ironic and satirical' in the general course. [occasionally some bitterness may creep in but it does not characterize my writing; same with 'irony and satire'].</p>

<p>So, though while none of these things is completely alien to my writing, in general I write straight forwardly about a large variety of topics from a personal and experiential point of view.. I just have trouble with the word 'diatribe' as that suggests bitter, sour, grumbling . . . . a viewpoint I hope my writing does not foster. I generally don't feel like it's bitter or grumbling writing unless occasionally it's in response to an unwarranted attack.<br /><br /><br>

The greater part of my writing I think. touches on numerous topics including economics, politics, poetry, philosophy, science, social science, history, literature, and numerous other disciplines -- all in comments under my photos -- and all more akin to an early 20th C. salon I think more than anywhere else on Photo.net.</p>

<p>I hope that the many (like yourself) who say to me that they read those comments do so to be edified, to learn, to join in the discourse from time to time, and to be intellectually stimulated. (Some large number have suggested I gather, edit and publish my writings.)</p>

<p>I'm very proud of the contributions and discussions so many members have made in comments under my photos and of the salon-type atmosphere that keeps members coming back.</p>

<p>john<br>

John (Crosley)</p>

<p> </p>