What is a Series 7 adapter exactly?

<p>Hi folks,</p>

<p>I remember buying a series 7 adapter ring years ago to attach a cheap wide angle conversion lens to my camera lens. But... what exactly is a series 7 adapter? I know it converts a "series 7" thread to a specified filter thread e.g. Series 7 to 58mm adapter ring etc.</p>

<p>But what size and type is the series 7 thread? Can a standard stepping ring be used instead?</p>

<p>The reason I need to know is because I get a lot of customers contacting me for advice about attaching conversion lenses to their cameras. I stock every possible size of stepping ring but I do not have series 7 rings.</p>

<p><em>If they fit a WA or TEL conversion lens it's by coincidence.</em></p>

<p>Not necessarily. They may well have made the conversion lens to attach by a Series VII thread on the front of the camera lens. </p>

<p>(Fine print: some camera lenses were like this, although I have no personal experience of it. They had a series thread right on the lens, so you could drop on a series filter, and then screw a hood or retainer right on the lens.)<em><br /></em></p>

<p>There is a partial explanation of series filters in general at http://www.marriottworld.com/pieces/pieces21.htm of which the main part is:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Series filters are glass or plastic mounted in a metal or plastic rim. There is no screw thread or other mounting; instead, the filter is designed to be held in place by a retaining ring. This retaining ring would either be part of the lens or be part of a lens hood/filter holder. <br>

<a name="series"></a>Series filters are usually referred to using Roman numerals (except Series 4.5). </p>

</blockquote>

<table border="0" bgcolor="#FFFF99">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td>

<blockquote>Series Number</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>Diameter, mm.</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>Rim Thickness, mm.</blockquote>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<blockquote>IV (4)</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>20.8</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>4.06</blockquote>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="12">

<blockquote>4.5</blockquote>

</td>

<td height="12">

<blockquote>25.4</blockquote>

</td>

<td height="12">

<blockquote>-</blockquote>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<blockquote>V (5)</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>30</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>4.31</blockquote>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<blockquote>VI (6)</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>41.3</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>4.82</blockquote>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<blockquote>VII (7)</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>50.8</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>5.33</blockquote>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<blockquote>VIII (8)</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>63.5</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>5.58</blockquote>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<blockquote>IX (9)</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>88.9</blockquote>

</td>

<td>

<blockquote>5.58</blockquote>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Yep, to flog a dead horse: the series filter itself is a standard-sized disk with an unthreaded metal rim. However, a series adapter also has a standard-size thread for its retaining ring. This thread size is what we mean implicitly, when we say something like "Series VII thread".</p>

<p>FWIW, <a href="http://medfmt.8k.com/bronaux.html">this page</a>, on the old medium format site, talks about WA and tele adapters in Series thread, which was the original topic. It talks about using Series VIII-threaded adapters on Bronica lenses, which conveniently have 67mm threads, like JDM said. </p>