What is a Monolight?

A monolight is a single strobe in which everything is contained in the same unit, i.e. all the 'works' are included along with the flash tube.

A powerpack, or generator pack, is completely different, all the 'works' are in a separate floor-mounted unit, connected by cable to a lamphead that contains only the flash tube, modelling lamp and (sometimes) a cooling fan. Scroll down and look at this week's Weekly Lighting Theme.

I skimmed thru it really quick but its a great read. I have to sit down tonight and read the

whole thing.

So let me get this straight, a monolight does not need a powerpack or batteries to run? Its

all contained inside the head? If so then do you just plug it in? Im not fully understanding

this. If I were to use a monolight outdoors how would I power it?

See <a href="http://webs.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/monolight.html">http://webs.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/monolight.html</a> for a somewhat detailed look at one brand of monolight.

<p>

<cite>Also do these monolight use a powerpack or are they battery powered? </cite>

<p>

Neither. They plug into the wall via a standard

AC power cord. The equivalent of a pack/head system's

powerpack is built into the unit.

Thanks for the link.

Ok so what if I have a monolight and I want to use it outdoors where I wouldnt have access

to an AC outlet?

Im basically looking for a beginner kit that I can carry around with me and learn how to

use. Then eventually I will invest in a good professional kit. Any recommendations?

Mono's as opposed to "pack & head" sets,have all the components needed to work within a single(mono) housing.Pack & head kits are just that,seperate power with the heads containing only the light producing parts(bulbs).There are avantages/disadvantages to both.Try doing a search,there reams of 411 on this stuff.

If you need to use monolights outdoors with no power source, the White Lightning/ Alien Bees lights have a battery pack available to plug in up to 10 of their lights! The Vagabond power units make these lights very desirable in my eyes! Versatility is big in my view, and these do it!

Anotonio,

800 should be fine for your purposes. The 1600 would be too bright for most of what I

do.

A Softbox is not tryly portable. An Umbrella is VERY portable. A Shoot Through Umbrella

(Brolly Box) might be the best of both worlds for you. Not as diffused as a softbox, but

sets up really fast.

If you look in my Portfolio, the shot of Heny Rollins is a Brolly with an Alien Bees 800.

jmp

• 8 years later...
<p>If you are shooting outdoors, the Alien Bees might not be strong enough to overwhelm sunlight. More powerful monolights such as the Elinchrom RX1200 might be the best option. If you are shooting indoors, the Alien Bees will work great. This <a href="http://www.losangelescamerarentals.com/category/photography-lights-rental-los-angeles">Los Angeles lighting store</a> has a good selection of monolights and flash units.</p>