What is a good R zoom lens?

basil brush

I've only ever used primes on my R4, but I'm doing quite a lot of gig photography

(that's "rock concerts" to the younger members) at the moment, and it's a pain

changing lenses in a crowd with beer and sweaty bodies around.

Can anyone recommend a good zoom? I'd need at least 90mm at the top end, and the

bottom end as low as possible (28?). I know some zooms are thought to be better

than others, but how much quality would I be sacrificing over primes? What should I

expect to pay for a used example?

Thanks in advance.

Leica's early zooms were somewhat ho-hum. Currently, there is a Leica zoom that might meet your requirements. You mentioned 28mm at the wide end, and 90mm at the long end. Well, there is now a 28 to 90, and its performance is drawing praise for being a fine lens worthy of the Leica badge. It is slow (f/3.5 to 4.5, as I recall), and I wonder if that would meet you needs, as I should think a faster lens would be necessary for rock concerts. It is also very pricey. Apart from those two reservations, it might fill the bill.

One of the lenses I was consider is the Leica/Angenieux 45-90mm f/2.8. It doesn't start

out very short, but if you don't want to pay $3000 for the new 28-90mm, then this is the

only option. The best thing is that it even has a f/2.8 aperture even on the long end!

Zebedee,

You could always pick up a Tamron Adaptall zoom with the Leica R adaptall mount if you don't feel like paying for a Leica zoom, which I can perfectly understand. If you pick one of the more recent Tamron zooms it might do the trick for you. I think the current 28-90 ASPH R zoom is great, but it is too slow at the long end for your purpose I think quite apart from its price. I think the Tamron would do OK, but would not be a patch on a Leica primes obviously. But given the lights and lack of requirements for corner to corner sharpness it would probably work fine. I've no idea whether Tamron have any constant 2.8 zooms anymore in the 28-90 range.

Robin Smith

Provided you do not use the R8 or R9 models, which do not allow the adaptall ring to work properly - the diaphragm blades do not close quick enough - you can use the Tamron zooms and primes. From the vast array of zoom lenses, one stands out: the 80-200 2.8, long ago discontinued. It is better than the Nikkor ED! And you can find it second-hand very, very cheap!