What is a good camera to buy?

ken_mckenna

<p>I want to buy a Canon DSLR camera. I'm interested in doing mostly narrow-angle shots. My budget is up to $250. I was looking at used Canon DSLR's, namely the Eos 10D-60D. Is there a camera in this range that you would recommend buying/not buying? What is the best used Canon DSLR I can buy in this price range? Used ones are an option for me - the 10D caught my eye, as it's older but seems to be a solid camera. </p>

<p>A Canon 20D is a little more modern than the 10D - (takes EF-S lenses which the 10D will not do), has plenty of pixels (8MB) for most purposes, and is generally selling with a "kit lens" for around your price target (if you are patient in bidding). Probably a little more if you buy it from a retailer, although look at KEH (often very good prices) or B&H or Adorama.</p>

<p>The non-IS version of the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens is better than its reputation. Also look at 30Ds and later models. Often the "Rebel" lines are good buys, but I think you're right in concentrating on the more "advanced" xxD models.</p>

<p>I've seen the Rebel T3 kit, a current model, on black friday special for close to 3 bills. Of course it is closer to 4 bills now but if you're not in a hurry I'm sure it will slide again after Xmas. I've also seen a new (discontinued) T2i at Best Buy for close to 3 bills too. Bet there's still new old stock on fleabay.</p>

<p>I'd also check out the refurbs at the Canon Company store. Plenty of Rebs in that house...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Craigslist has many of them in the under $300 range. The Rebels are very good, but I like the xxD for their speed and toughness (20D and higher). The 10D takes nice pictures, but it doesn't support EF-S lenses, larger compactflash cards (I have a 10D, had a 20D before the shutter went and now a 7D) and startup, storing speed lack. Whereas the 20D and higher are fast. </p>

<p>Rather than the 10D I would either take one step forward to the 20D, which accepts EF-S lenses, or one step back to the D60, which works with some old Sigma lenses that can be bought cheaply.</p>

<p>Probably you wouldn't get a 1D for $250 but if you do see one in good condition it might be a reasonable choice, if you don't mind the low pixel count.</p>

<p>I would stick with the 20D or Rebel XT and newer bodies. I still use my six year old 20D all the time. I'm amazed that after all the abuse it's taken it still fires...</p>

<p>If you don't need the high frame-rate, faster AF, and ruggeder (word?) build, the Rebel cameras are very good. If you can get one in your budget with the dust-shaker system that's a big win (even the 1st generation sensor-cleaner like the 40D is a big improvement). Sorry I don't know which Rebel model was the first with automatic sensor cleaning.</p>

<p>[[i owned the XTi, the 10MP model circa 2007-08 and it lacked a CMOS shaker. Perhaps the next DReb sported one?]]</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/</p>

<blockquote>

<p>EOS Integrated Cleaning System</p>

<ul>

<li>Anti-static coatings on sensor surfaces plus anti-dust materials in the camera body</li>

<li>Separate low pass filter with ultra-sonic vibration</li>

<li>Software based dust mapping / removal</li>

</ul>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>