What is a diffuser filter, and can it be simulated in Photoshop?

henry_minsky1

I saw the following advice in an online photo class

" Always use a diffusing filter at least once for each background.

Clients love those soft, diffused, glamour portraits much more than

the normal print without softening. Females, especially older

females, especially love this and a diffuser filter is very

inexpensive and easy to use. Simply place it over the end of the lens

and see for yourself the difference."

What is a diffusing filter, and can I simulate it's effect in a

satisfactory way using Photoshop postprocessing ?

Don't worry your questions are always welcome. I really don't use a diffusing filter but people who do boudoir photography use them to create a soft sexy look and it covers some defects. It is used with older people for the same reasons. Not the sexy part the defects part. I don't understand the part about the background. Usually the background is thrown out of focus with aperture control not filters but they might have been referring to something else. I would try to experiment with that ype of filter as it probably is a personal choice as to how you want your shot to appear.

I'm not sure about doing it in photoshop and getting the same result. The gaussian blue might get it close but probably not quite the same. That's my guess and someone else might have a better answer than mine. Good luck.

Hi.

yes, it can be done in PS - at least to some degree.

and, what's funny, it in PS for more than 4 versions :))

Try this:

load photo, then filters->distort->difuse glow

and play a little with it, it can produce very nice images

alex

Another PS technique for you! Load your image. Create a duplicate layer. Apply a Gaussian blur to the duped layer (make it fairly heavy to the point of seeing little detail). Then reduce the duped layer's opacity to the desired level of diffusion. The example shows 50% and 75%.

The advice that David gave is great. I use this to diffuse photos all the time in photoshop. I mostly shoot children so I only gaussian blur between 15-20 pixels, and reduce opacity to around 40. I would add however that another great trick is to use the eraser tool to erase the blur from the eyes. This really makes the eyes shine!<div>009BIS-19207984.JPG.78881d7f152b7ed58d8ead88576c5dba.JPG</div>

I may be flamed for this but I don't think the PS post processing filter looks the same as the effect you get with a Softar, which is an actual filter used over the lens of a camera. The Softar, made by Zeiss, is, contrary to your quote, not inexpensive. There are other brands of actual filters, such as Tiffen (Soft FX). Each of the major filter manufacturers have their own soft/diffusing filter, and there are different kinds of diffusing filters, too (such as black net). I'd do a search, go to manufacturers' websites and look at various samples. While you might not be able to see the effects well on-line, you can still make a decision about which way you want to go.

• 3 weeks later...
What people today seem to be losing sight of is that optical effects, such as you get from a Softar filter or a Rodenstock Imagon lens affect the highlights differently than the shadows as well as foreground out of focus areas differently than the background out of focus areas. Also, the effects changes over different distances or brightnesses are gradual. Photoshop tries to do the same thing everyplace. Stop trying to look to The Great Electronic Saviour to solve all your problems and learn to be a real photographer, one who understands light and optics rather than pixels.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
<p>I've been a photographer since 1955 and let me tell you Photoshop does one thing and REAL filters in front of the lens does something else. Both have their place. Test & learn.<br /><br />Here is one way: get a Series 8 or Series 9 filter adapter that fits the threads of your portrait lens. Then go to an Ace Hardware or similar store and buy round pieces of glass. They stock them as replacement lenses for flashlights. Get some that fit in your Series adapter.<br /><br />Wash the glass rounds. Then when dry put tiny dots of clear fingernail polish all over one side of the glass. When dry you have your own Softar for under $5. The nice thing is you can vary the size and number of dots. Don't worry about the quality of the pieces of round glass since you are reducing the quality of the image anyhow!<br /><br />Some glass shops will cut thin glass to fit a Cokin filter adapter. And as before, make your own filters.<br /><br />Another trick: get black mesh from a fabric store or panty hose. Stretch it. Shoot thru it. Many aging Hollywood actress had her career extended with this trick. Babara Wawa and Oprah still use it.<br /><br />Terry Thomas...<br />the photographer<br />Atlanta, Georgia USA<br /><a href="http://www.TerryThomasPhotos.com">www.TerryThomasPhotos.com</a></p>