What is a Copal Shutter?

brad_blair

Copal is the brand.

0, 1 and 3 are the sizes. size 0 is smallest, and has the highest max speed (1/500). 0 is common for wide to normal lens, 1 for slightly long lenses, 3 for longer lenses, at least on 4x5 (that's only typical, though, and there are exceptions).

The shutter attaches to a lens board, which attaches to the camera.

The lens is screwed on the shutter, both in the front and back.

The shutter provides shutter and aperture.

Lens come with shutters already, and I really don't want to imagine what would happen if I had to swap lenses on my shutters "in the field".

Brad,

Often the lens comes without a lens board. It never fails that the lens you want comes mounted on a lens board that doesn't fit your camera.

To add to the above post, faster lenses also will use a larger shutter. When you're looking for a lens you end up choosing between smaller but slow; or, large (heavy) but faster. I have an f5.6 lens which is great; however, when I have to hike any distance I take my smaller f9 nikon lens.

Good luck with your plunge into large format. I don't even own a roll film camera at the moment.

You can get a general idea of the size of a lens and shutter by the shutter number. A Copal 0 shutter and lens will usually be a small, light combination, a 1 is a little larger and a little heavier, a 3 is a lot bigger and heavier. So if you see that a lens is mounted on a Copal 3 shutter you can be pretty sure you're looking at a big, heavy lens and shutter combination.

I don't know what happened to Copal 2 shutters. You do occasionally see a lens mounted in a Copal 00 shutter though.