What have I done?

john_robison3

<p>Specifically, not just what but why? At the annual photo show in Kent, Wa. this last Saturday, on a whim, I picked up a IIIs with it's case and chain. I had rented a table to unload, not buy more stuff! Well, at least that was my only indulgence, even the missus, who accompanied me to the show thinks it is 'cute'. Now however I have to think about film. I see that Blue Moon has 8X11 film for the breathtaking price of $20 each. My question is, are most Minox cartridges reloadable? Was there a lot of variation down through the years? I have enough hobby plywood and double edged razor blades to build another film slitter and would go that route for B&W if the carts can be reloaded.</p>

<p>I might treat myself to one roll of color but at $50 a pop to buy it and get it processed that will stay on the back burner for a while.</p>

<p>When I dabbled with a C (3 rolls) film was still around but the lack of a matching enlarger got on my nerves. - I ended with exposure times of 5 minutes with my Krokus and a 50mm lens. I believe there are custom made brass cartridges available for reloading.</p>

<p>Thanks Martin, Yeah, I read that thread, very interesting although I sure they would be very expensive. I figured the Minox carts are probably a lot like a Minolta 16 cartridge, just smaller. I have 6 cartridges on the way, all with expired film in them. I'll probably just shoot the film anyway and develop it myself. I've spent the last couple of days building a slitter and have a 1/4in dowel with a slit to roll the film up tight enough to slip into the feed end of the cart. I have plenty of expired (but refrigerated) Ilford Pan F in bulk. I also modified an old Yankee developing reel to take the film.</p>

<p>So, I think I'm pretty well set. Shooting Minolta 16 for the last 10 or 12 years has eased the learning curve. I've long been set up to photograph my half frame and Minolta 16 negs with a 4:3 DSLR and I'm going to try that with the Minox negs. I won't be able to fill the frame with the macro but I'll see if it's good enough.</p>