What happened to 4x5 Infrared film?

robert meier

I recently went by the local photo store and found it closed and gone. And wondering what happened, it occurred to me that maybe the fact that I hadn't been there in 6 months or a year was part of the reason it was gone. Ditto with this product. A couple of years ago, Kodak had their data sheets online for IR film, with a notice that sheet film IR had be discontinued due to lack of demand. Reckon they were right.

According to the Kodak book "Kodak Filters for Scientific and Technical Uses", the 87 filter has high transmission for wavelengths longer than about 780 nm. The 89B has high transmission for wavelengths longer than about 710 nm. (The book lists no 89 filter.) The datasheet for Rollei IR film, available at http://www.mahn.net/TAe.htm, shows a steeply falling response above 700 nm, ending at about 800 nm. So I would expect a reasonable speed when using a 89B filter or equivalent, but a very slow speed from an 87 filter.

I did try using a 87 w/ the rollei IR, treating it w/ the same sucessful measuerment(both exposure and film development) from Maco ir820, but nothing was recorded. W/ a 89b/R72, the rollei did exposed but not showing the IR impact that i would like to have. I miss the Maco.

I'm developing both film by Tmax developer. Just wonder if a different developer will help in the case of Rollei.