What happend with Editors' Picks.....

FranzWeber

Both stopped a while ago. Likely under the present situation will not begin in a framework as they were before.

On the other hand, there are several regular threads, initiated by enthusiastic members which garner much support.

I believe, not so long ago, I read a post from samstevens (my paraphrasing now) in which he encouraged the members to create and get involved in the achievement of similar.

WW

Edited by William Michael

Hey, Mr. Technical Support, don’t you (or Glenn, OMG!) think at least the Moderators should have a way to contact you directly, so that when big glitches occur, all these days and member energy don’t have to be spent figuring out what’s going on and determining ways to get the administration’s attention? Or does that make too much sense?
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Both stopped a while ago. Likely under the present situation will not begin in a framework as they were before.

On the other hand, there are several regular threads, initiated by enthusiastic members which garner much support.

I believe, not so long ago, I read a post from samstevens (my paraphrasing now) in which he encouraged the members to create and get involved in the achievement of similar.

WW

William, I'm quite aware of Sam's suggestion. I agree with it, but only up to a point. The site clearly was quite different when we "veterans" signed up. Arguably, the inclusion of contests, POTD, POTW,Editor's Picks, et.al., may have been its main selling features. Although I no longer know the date when the current version of PN was rolled out, I do know that it included such features. When and why were they eliminated? We have a right to know.

When and why were they eliminated?

I don’t know that their elimination was an intentional act, so much as a matter of attrition and the overall disinterest on the part of administration into putting regular effort into the site. They seem to want it to run as automatedly as possible. I don’t know what rights you think come with being the user of a website, but I suspect knowing the reasons won’t bring back the features many of us miss. I think it’s perfectly ok to let the administration know the damage they’ve done as a matter of consumer action, but I also don’t expect much change and doubt any of them care what we think. This will happen again, tempers will flare at the site as they did this time, the barest of fixes will be made, comparable to offering crumbs to pigeons, and many will be mollified enough to continue limping along while each time something like this happens, I suspect, some people will leave for good.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

Unless I am mistaken it would certainly be possible to run Picture of the Week informally without anything but member support. A thread could be started on a Monday, one photo per member in the course of the week. No photos eligible after Sunday. I will have to test this, but I know the thread could be closed, and I think a poll could be run the following Monday. Though I know Likes are a mixed bag, using the most likes to determine the winner, even Photo of the Day might work. Again, opened at the start of the day, closed at the end, results posted the next day. Just a thought! If we did all the work, we might even be able to get Tech to post the picture as before. Editors Pick could also be arranged - several distinguished photographers chosen by membership could get together by PM, initially once every two weeks? Make a selection and post the result. Just a question of starting without overreaching and learning on the way.
  • Like 4

William, . . . When and why were they eliminated? We have a right to know.

When: I recall they both became inactive, on PN1, during the Beta Testing of PN2.

Why: I reckon samstevens hit the nail on he head (my paraphrase) - "their elimination was [not] an intentional act, so much as a matter of attrition.

Apropos, "[your] right to know": I have no idea what you consider is within your right to know, however, being those are passionate words, being ignorant of the facts as to why, I can only offer my opinion as to why, to hopefully quell your anger.

Further, again quoting samstevens - "I suspect knowing the reasons won’t bring back the features many of us miss" is the line I tend to take when I am confronted with this type of situation: being a generally an outcome focussed kind of guy, I put my effort into doing stuff here that gives me interest and joy and forwards the conversation, rather than ruminating on the past; to that end, Sandy's idea of a Member run "Picture of the Week" is a good idea. Maybe you could start it and see how it flies?

WW

Unless I am mistaken it would certainly be possible to run Picture of the Week informally without anything but member support. A thread could be started on a Monday, one photo per member in the course of the week. No photos eligible after Sunday. I will have to test this, but I know the thread could be closed, and I think a poll could be run the following Monday. Though I know Likes are a mixed bag, using the most likes to determine the winner, even Photo of the Day might work. Again, opened at the start of the day, closed at the end, results posted the next day. Just a thought! If we did all the work, we might even be able to get Tech to post the picture as before. Editors Pick could also be arranged - several distinguished photographers chosen by membership could get together by PM, initially once every two weeks? Make a selection and post the result. Just a question of starting without overreaching and learning on the way.

Sandy, I look forward to the forthcoming experiment. Many thanks!

When: I recall they both became inactive, on PN1, during the Beta Testing of PN2.

Why: I reckon samstevens hit the nail on he head (my paraphrase) - "their elimination was [not] an intentional act, so much as a matter of attrition.

Apropos, "[your] right to know": I have no idea what you consider is within your right to know, however, being those are passionate words, being ignorant of the facts as to why, I can only offer my opinion as to why, to hopefully quell your anger.

Further, again quoting samstevens - "I suspect knowing the reasons won’t bring back the features many of us miss" is the line I tend to take when I am confronted with this type of situation: being a generally an outcome focussed kind of guy, I put my effort into doing stuff here that gives me interest and joy and forwards the conversation, rather than ruminating on the past; to that end, Sandy's idea of a Member run "Picture of the Week" is a good idea. Maybe you could start it and see how it flies?

WW

William, when I wrote these words, I was not angry, just very disappointed. I'm going to take your suggestion.

In my mind, that No Words thread you posted bears little relationship to the Photo of the Week feature Inthought you were talking about. That feature was the elves (or someone or some group) choosing one photo to feature and garner comments for the week. Isn’t that what you were wanting to bring back? Your current thread is just another free-for-all No Words thread, which are all fun and great but a dime a dozen on PN and in no way unique.

"You talkin' to me?"

And this is not meant to take away from the initiative you generally show in both starting and participating in threads and gallery critiques. You’re an active and effective member. It’s just to say I think we can come closer to the Photo of the Week I thought you were talking about. And I believe Sandy may be considering some possibilities to get us there. Edited by William Michael

"You talkin' to me?"

I moved the thread mentioned from the NWF to Casual Photo Conversations. Discussions about the image are not permitted in NWF, so in keeping with the original concept of Photo of the Week I moved it to where they are.

• 2 weeks later...