What filmscanner?

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by niklas_saers|2, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Hi,
    my Canon Coolscan 4000 is dead. It dies, Nikon repaired it but it never came out good again,
    failing more and more for a year, and now it's not usable at all. I've got some ~10.000 35mm colour
    negative pictures to scan, and I'm looking for a new scanner. Which one do you suggest? I'm not
    married to Nikon, and the 5000 and V both are like four years old, so I'm sure there must be newer,
    improved stuff out there. I have a few preferences, though:

- The resolution for the 4000 was good enough, I don't need more, not in colour or pixel-depth.
    - I would like to be able to load up a larger stack of negatives than just the one strip that the
    negative feeder that comes with the 4000 does
    - I expect cleaning techniques like dust- and scratch-removal
    - Being able to feed many slides would be nice, but since I'll only scan another 5-700 slides, that
    would be a bonus, not a must-have
    - I use a mac, so if it works with VueScan on Mac that would be a nice thing, if it doesn't run on
    Mac at all, I'll look for something else

So, with that in mind, what filmscanners do you propose?

Cheers

Nik

2. Guess thats what happens when you take Canon Coolscan 4000s to Nikon for repair ;-p

Nikon is still the best value for money in the 35mm format scan game ...there is nothing else

3. "I've got some ~10.000 35mm colour negative pictures to scan"

Sorry, there's no option except the Nikon 5000 in about the same price class as your old scanner.

A possible option is to outsource. ScanCafe comes up here once in awhile (I've a mental picture of a sweat shop packed with Nikon 5000's in India somewhere.) I haven't used them, but I think pricing is around $0.20/frame.

4. Hi there,

I don't know much about the Nikon scanners, but if you're happy with a resolution which can print at around 10x8 from 35mm, then you might want to consider Epson's flatbed offerings. The main advantage is the ability to scan 4x6(24) frames of 35mm film or 8 slides at once.

The resolution isn't quite up to the dedicated scanners, but there are planty of reviews which will show you it's not far off.

Duncan

5. The only game in town remaining for dedicated film scanners is Nikon.Minolta sold out to Sony and they stopped scanner production and Canon dropped out after the FS4000 run was over. Too bad because there is nothing like competition to improve the breed.This would be like only having one automotive company remaining - imagine how that would play out.Nikon V ED (about $650 US) or 5000ED (about $1200 ED) are about all that remain for high quality 35mm scanning.

6. Why not just send it back to Nikon and ask for a complete rebuild? Then, you've got a month (or is it three months?) to check it out before the repair warranty runs out.

I bought a used 4000 a bit over a month ago, and it arrived DOA, with actual physical damage. I sent it off to Nikon and it came back working like new.

But I also agree with the above posts -- it looks like Nikon's it, not only for the reasons stated in above posts but also because they still service them.

7. You can go for cheap Canon 8800f, cheap flatbed but worth buy it. I bought this one after discussing at photo.net and researching at internet. I am happy with this. Usually, due to bad film guides, flatbeds doesn't perform well but its guides are very good and even yo can scan other film formats too. You may feel little lake in quality but it doesn't matter if don't want to get most of your prints on large dimensions like more thaan 8x12. If you want I can post you some scanned images. It can scan 12 negative frames at a time, big time and labour saver too. You might think about epsons too, I never used or tested those. Dedicated film scanners always give you better quality but more costly compared to quality those produce, and important thing, if you need, you cannot easily get service support, where flatbeds have bigger market and easy to get service support.

8. I've got some ~10.000 35mm colour negative pictures to scan

Why? Are you planning on printing all 10,000? Why not just scan them as and when you want to print them?

9. Hi guys, and thanks for all the great answers, sorry about mis-spelling the Nikon
    Coolscan as Canon. ;-)

The reason I want to scan this is both for archiving, and to bring them to my entire
    familly after both me and my brother moved out.

It's too late to send it to Nikon, the warranty is out, and they've butchered it twice.
    Anyone that wants to have their repaired, send it somewhere else than Nikon in
    Denmark as the ones they've given the job don't do it well and yell at you when you
    ask about it.

What's the scan size for the Epson flatbed? 24 pictures at ones sounds very
    tempting. :) But the 4000 DPI with the Nikon was really nice as well.

Nikon has a film roll thingy, can this be loaded with multiple strips, or just a very
    long film?

Can the Nikon Coolscan V take an automatic negative feeder like the one with the
    Coolscan 4000? Can it take the big motorized film roll adapter?

Cheers

Nik

10. Hi, as far as I've understood from reading more, the SA-30 cannot load cut film. Is
    there any way with the proposed scanners or other scanners to scan multiple strips
    of cut film? All my film is cut and nicely placed in a negative album.

I'm a bit surprised not to hear more about other scanners, after all, the Nikon
    Coolscan 5000 and V are both four years old. There must have been made other
    good negative scanners since then? Are there no more models worth mentioning?
    For instance, how about the Plustek OpticFilm 7200 or the Plustek OpticFilm 7500i?
    How do they compare to the Nikons? Are they motorized?

Cheers

Nik

11. Also, is the Epson F-3200 a good alternative?

12. "I'm a bit surprised not to hear more about other scanners, after all, the Nikon Coolscan 5000 and V are both four years old. There must have been made other good negative scanners since then?"

Nope. These are your only choices in this price range and quality level for a new 35mm scanner. I didn't think the F-3200 is available anymore.

The default film strip feeder (don't remember the model) shipped with the 5000 will take strips of 2 to 6 frames.

13. Les, thank a bunch, you make your point very convincingly. :) Thanks so much to
    everyone who posted, I'll be looking for a Coolscan, either V or 5000, depending on
    what I find to what price (my impression is that the Coolscan V is pretty much what I'm
    used to with the Coolscan 4000)